PLANAR IEMs fans thread-Impressions, suggestions, ranking list, techs
Dec 8, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #61 of 236
Here's graphs of the NiceHCK F1. It has 3 tuning nozzles to give more versatility (8 kHz is a coupler peak):
NiceHCK F1.jpg

I think it is not bad for a planar IEM, just that it got overshadowed by the S12 Pro/Timeless, as those 2 are more technical than the F1.

Anyways there is a NiceHCK F1 Pro released, it has no tuning nozzles strangely, but I bought one during Black Friday sales, waiting for it to come.

Bro this doesn't look like a legit planar though. More of those square planar pseudo planar stuff that are actually like DDs in a way.
hum....wait a sec ill try to find my IMR RAH pic....

ok, see, its quite similar, on back its the round planar and front the DD
1702073445963.png
1702073434018.png
1702073421878.png

i dont see voice coil so here with IMR it seem we got legit planar....will not tear it down more tough!

as for Moondrop, it seem its a small one in front perhaps? lets wait for more news and perhaps a translation would help too lol

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #62 of 236
Moondrop May is on headfi front page right now

''
MAY uses the newly developed sapphire-evaporation composite flexible-suspension diaphragm, reproducing classic beautiful timbre, providing wide-band smooth response and ultra-low distortion of fast transients.

The 6mm annular planar driver handles treble details above 8000Hz with lower distortion, stronger extension and richer smoothness, resulting in natural, transparent high-frequency details.

Powered two-way crossover + acoustic FEA optimization, verified by repeated testing, seamlessly couples the 10mm dynamic driver and 6mm planar magnetic driver, making full use of the characteristics of both and restoring the details of the music''

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dsp-enabled-moondrop-may-is-dropped.970871/

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #63 of 236
I'm still waiting for someone to bring up the subject of kiwi ears melody but it doesn't seem to attract anyone...
Tangzu zetian wu was my first contact with a planar and I really didn't like it, but melody managed to reconcile me with this type of driver. Good mid-bass, cymbals are excellent, back vocals are present and layered (not like a dd), some reviewers said that females voices was a little brighter, but its ok with Feist (I'm Not Running Away) and Portishead (Roads), but above all, above all, it is the tonality, a united, uniform, undistorted tone (like a dd).
I mentioned The Melody in my list and commented that they are among my very favorite I have--for only $89 they are a bargain! Incredibly comfortable--nice build and I personally love the tuning--I HIGHLY recommend them and agree with you--they really deserve more attention as they are seriously good and a bargain--a no brainer purchase!

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #64 of 236
Currently using Campfire Supermoon Universal and Madoo Type 821 (push/pull micro planar). Two worlds on tuning but complement each other. Some people have issues with Micro Planar, however I think Madoo has done some good work on their IEM.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #65 of 236
I mentioned The Melody in my list and commented that they are among my very favorite I have--for only $89 they are a bargain! Incredibly comfortable--nice build and I personally love the tuning--I HIGHLY recommend them and agree with you--they really deserve more attention as they are seriously good and a bargain--a no brainer purchase!
The tuning is unique, I tested it with rock and metal but I think I prefer this type of sound for female voices. Unique because analytical iems are very common but melody is not analytical in this way, with extension in both ends but without the voice being neglected.

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #66 of 236
hum....wait a sec ill try to find my IMR RAH pic....

ok, see, its quite similar, on back its the round planar and front the DD

i dont see voice coil so here with IMR it seem we got legit planar....will not tear it down more tough!

as for Moondrop, it seem its a small one in front perhaps? lets wait for more news and perhaps a translation would help too lol

That planar driver looks familar. I'm almost sure that I have seen something similar at the parts store on aliexpress where I buy DIY components. Not cheap though, so I have never trusted myself enough to mess with one.

The moondrop one might be similar to the ones used by Kinera. It's essentially a circular membrane with a voice coil glued directly on it. I don't know how it performs objectively, but the treble in the phoenixcall was quite decent.

Edit: anyone having the Nicehck F1 Pro (not the old one) coming?

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #67 of 236
Good day everyone!
As a great fan of typ821, I did a little tuning of my Madoo - I replaced the original wiring with a piece of Satin Audio Zeus 24awg cable (Gold Plated Silver | Palladium Plated Silver | Silver-Gold Alloy). Well, the changes in sound are noticeable, especially in the bass section.
I continue enjoying the sound :)))

Attachments

• InShot_20231208_183120477.jpg
    InShot_20231208_183120477.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #68 of 236
And my complete setup with Madoo typ821. The best sound in IEM I've ever heard.

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_203308.jpg
    IMG_20231209_203308.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #70 of 236
That planar driver looks familar. I'm almost sure that I have seen something similar at the parts store on aliexpress where I buy DIY components. Not cheap though, so I have never trusted myself enough to mess with one.

The moondrop one might be similar to the ones used by Kinera. It's essentially a circular membrane with a voice coil glued directly on it. I don't know how it performs objectively, but the treble in the phoenixcall was quite decent.

Edit: anyone having the Nicehck F1 Pro (not the old one) coming?
possible....kinda had to tell without proper tear down. but SPD is for ''square planar drive''...their were drama around misleading terminology....they should find anothe word than planar its true...hum, i have a sudden flash back about the Seeaudio RInko....yep, i think we got it:

1702158478748.png

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #71 of 236
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #73 of 236
anyone having the Nicehck F1 Pro (not the old one) coming?
Yep, arrived on 2023 Dec 04. Bass is just too much for me (however I like the subbass rumble); other freqs are OK or good. I sell it or make it a present for Xmas.

My other planars:

Tangzu Zetian Wu OG (was my main for a year)
Hidizs MP145 (actually IS my main now; rosegold filter, Spinfit 155 tips)
Raptgo Hook X (green one) (my secondary now)
TRN Rosefinch (was a mistake to buy ...)

Sure I can compare any 2, but most probably I do not have the hearing to say serious words.

Edit: also have a KZ PR2v1 (on a KZ AZ09 Pro; just for walking and cooking).

Planars I had:
KZ PR1 all 3 versions
KZ PR2v2 (too much treble/air)
KZ PR3 (also too much treble/air, bit easier to drive than PR2)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #74 of 236
With all this chat about planars I went back to my collection and pulled out the TinHifi Panda (P1max) as people always seem to review it well. Anyway turns out I'd cast it aside without proper consideration. This planar which I picked up for £80 is rather good especially in the bass and mids I would say it plays particularly well with male vocals. It's not really a treble set but overall a very nice all day listen. Especially with classic rock and blues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back