Pioneer's new TOTL Closed Back SE-Monitor 5 headphones
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #287 of 305
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #288 of 305
Late to this end of the thread, but I agree...these cans are some of the best hidden gems anywhere...they are so nuanced and detailed, its unreal. They can be a bit heavy on the head after awhile due to the awesome construction and real use of metals in these...but they should be talked about with all the top tier cans on this site.
Indeed.
There's nothing to add. :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #289 of 305
Yes, it is.

Since i've figured out that my Noir Hybrid HPC, which i bought for my Era-1, is working with the SEM5, i'm really a lucky guy.
1 cable to rule the Quads, D7200 and the SEM5 balanced out of the R28. :L3000:

This cable might be a good upgrade for me because it will enable me to have 2 headphones plugged into my amp/DAC at the same time without manually switching the plugs every time.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #290 of 305
Stock ear pads for the SEM5 are really difficult to order within the UK, or rather the service centres here are very unresponsive but I guess it's to do with the COVID situation. However, I think I've got a bit of luck with service centres outside of my country who've told me they can ship the ear pads to me. I will update this post when/if I receive a quote.

UPDATE:

Just ordered 2 pairs of stock SEM5 synthetic leather ear pads from an authorised Pioneer Service Point in Belgium https://eu.pioneer-av.com/en-GB/service-points (the one at the top that says "Service Center Gent"). I sent them an email in the morning and they got back almost immediately unlike any of the UK centres. The total cost including shipping to UK and VAT was 276.65 euros (138.32 per pair). The price is expensive but compared to what axle_69 was quoted in the UK (162.28 GBP per pair) it works out a little cheaper. I tried to cancel the Dekoni ear pads to try and save some money but it was too late, so I will have 4 leather ear pads for the SEM5 now (including the ones that came with the unit). I shouldn't need another replacement for many many years... lol

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #291 of 305
man, those pads are expensive...they must me lined in gold.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #293 of 305
After trying both pads (I think I prefer the synthetic leather ones) I’m curious about third party options. Has anyone tried these with some ZMF pads?
For me, I hate the leather pads...on my ears, they provided a goofy fit that always made my ears hurt

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #294 of 305
Jan 8, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #295 of 305
I snagged a brand new SE-M5 on eBay a short while back and have been comparing them to my Focals (Elegia and Elear). I drive all of these with my MacBook and my iPhones (new SE and old SE), often via an IFI Hip Dac. The XBass on the Hip Dac is an awesome feature for both the Focals and and the SE-M5. There were only a few occasions where I preferred to switch it off. I chose to use the balanced connection between the Pioneers and the Hip Dac and have not noticed any adverse effects of it.

As many have mentioned, the clamping force of the Focals is definitely greater than that of SE-M5, and in particular the Focals have better isolation and are easier to use in bed :). While the Pioneers are more heavy, I have not experienced this as an issue.

I tried the included pads and the Dekoni Elite solid sheepskins (which are definitely thinner than the stock pads), and in the end settled on the artificial leather stock pad version as best sounding.

To me the Focals are definitely more crisp and clear, but the sound stage is more condensed and the positioning is definitely "in your face". This works well for a lot of my music, but for classical and other instrumental, ambient or acoustic music the SE-M5 offers a superior sound stage and instrument separation, providing a smoother less crispy clarity which I prefer in this setting. In some other cases the SE-M5 gave me an impression that I was "listening through a veil" and this detracted from the sense of the immediacy of the experience.

In the end, I am keeping the Elegia and the SE-M5, and have put up the Elear up for sale on the board.

UPDATE:

So, today I said good bye to my last pair of Focals (not long ago I had three).

When I received HD58X for my BD a few years back, I was impressed. A VW Passat-impressed. When I bought my first Focal, I was suddenly aware how much more (fun) was possible. Like Audi TT-aware. When I purchased the SE-Monitor5's a few weeks ago, I eventually found myself in a Porsche Panamera.

After some experimentation I have settled on velour pads over the fake leather ones, as they seem to give a more neutral response with my IFI Hip Dac (with xBass on). I have also acquired a pair of Dekoni Elite lambskins (designed for Fostex TH900), which fit fine but are thinner and have a slightly smaller inner opening. They do OK, but not as well as stock. Would be nice to find something like a Dekoni Hybrid with close to the Pioneer stock dimensions, but I do not think they exist.

Has anyone tried the ZMF pads? There are some that seem like they may be worth a shot.

Also, I have not seen this mentioned, but SE-M5 are angled in such a way that the cups (even without the pads), and hence the drivers, are further apart in the front than in the back. This is the opposite of Focal's geometry, for example. So the sound in SE-M5's seems to be directed past the opening of the ear canal, rather than into the opening. This may be part of the secret of the wide staging and the airy feel of the SE-M5's.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #296 of 305
I have rolled some more pads on SE-5's with some unexpected results.

I tried Dekoni Elite pads in solid lambskin and hybrid intended for Beyer DT and AKG, as well as the much cheaper Brainwavz XL round sheepskins. All of these fit fine, with the latter being quite huge in both the outside diameter and the ear opening.

Yet despite what seemed at first like a gargantuan pad, it is the Brainwavz that definitely reign supreme over all pads I have tried. The end up giving a huge soundstage, providing just enough reflections for the natural sound with beautiful body and detail, without upper register sibilance. They are not too thin and not too thick, with a decent fit and finish. The dekoni's are better finished, but cannot match the SQ.

Basically, the SE-5's have such beautiful tuning that one should simply use the pads that just "get out of the way", and these Brainwavz do just that.

Of course the Brainwavz are very large and while they distribute the clamping force much better, they can slosh around a bit with sudden movement, which can at times happen involuntarily, caused by a good recording of a sound suddenly coming from behind (this has happened to me more than once!). The SE-5 will make you feel like someone is truly behind you, and your head will jerk, if you are surprised. This sloshing is minor and is not a problem at all.

I have noticed that with wear, because of the large baffle the pads shift into an optimal position for one's head shape, which is a big plus in my book. I have big ears and having enough room for them has reduced the fatigue.

If you want to test the imaging of your pads on SE-5, try Adrianne Lenker's Music For Indigo. What you get with the Brainwavz pads on that track will convince you, as it did me, of their awesomeness for the SE-5's.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #297 of 305
Thank you.

Do you have a picture of the attached pads? :)

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #298 of 305
IMG_2509.jpg
IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2512.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #299 of 305
Thanks again.
Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Will have a look at the XL.

May 22, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #300 of 305
This is a long shot question...but these are some of my favorite headphones ever. I also have the also coveted SEM1 and even Final Audio Sonorous X...but I keep coming back to these.

They're a great pairing with the stellar new Cayin N8ii tube DAP is that tones down their brightness ever so slightly and really makes them sing. My question is: Does anyone (pref in US) have the stock balanced cable that they come with but not using...possibly having made an upgrade? When I got mine nearly new years ago, the only thing missing was that cable and I never needed it until now.

Considering how great the unbalanced original cable sounds, I'd really like to find the same balanced version if someone here has it

PM me if so....thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back