Pioneer's new TOTL Closed Back SE-Monitor 5 headphones
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #256 of 305
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #257 of 305
Just picked up some barely broken in Monitor 5's, at first I wasn't impressed, sounded dry. I'm used to the sound of my Fostex TH900 mk2, but after a short time my ears warmed up to them. Very different take on the mids which I'm really digging. Much more neutral signature which is easy to warm up if needed with some EQ. Can't say enough about the build quality, and really like the shorter cable compared to the long ass one included with the Fostex's and no handling noise from the cable. They play well with a variety of genre's while the Fostex's are best with pop, and bass heavy material. Dream Theater is one of my favorite groups and it's interesting to listen to what stands out between the two headphones. The monitor 5's put more emphasis on the guitars and the TH900's on the bass drums. I think I prefer the monitor 5's in this case.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #258 of 305
Just picked up some barely broken in Monitor 5's, at first I wasn't impressed, sounded dry. I'm used to the sound of my Fostex TH900 mk2, but after a short time my ears warmed up to them. Very different take on the mids which I'm really digging. Much more neutral signature which is easy to warm up if needed with some EQ. Can't say enough about the build quality, and really like the shorter cable compared to the long ass one included with the Fostex's and no handling noise from the cable. They play well with a variety of genre's while the Fostex's are best with pop, and bass heavy material. Dream Theater is one of my favorite groups and it's interesting to listen to what stands out between the two headphones. The monitor 5's put more emphasis on the guitars and the TH900's on the bass drums. I think I prefer the monitor 5's in this case.
I owned, and loved the D7000, TH900 and TH600, but of them all I suspect I would still prefer my SEM5. I completely agree with you about just how well this headphone responds to any equalization effort. I also slightly warm it up, just a touch and man can this headphone do most things very well and a few things exceptionally well. Certainly an underappreciated headphone. I'm keeping mine. Cheers.

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #259 of 305
Congratulations! I've had my sem5 for a year and have bought and sold a dozen other open and closed headphones. Sem5 are keepers. Will never sell them. Enjoy!

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #261 of 305
Can anyone recommend a balanced 4-pin XLR cable for these?
For me, a cable is a cable, if you're asking about the materials the cable is made from. I have never heard a cable make a difference. I would think you could get a 2.5mm TRRS to 4 pin XLR adapter made or already off the shelf, but I don't know that for a fact.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #263 of 305
I agree with Sonic, use the 2.5mm balanced cable and get an XLR adapter. The stock cables are fantastic
I agree, the stock cables sound great and additionally, I actually like the material used. It isn't perfect, but the cables seem pretty kink resistant, in general. This is a definite hidden gem of a headphone. I adore my Edition X V2 and Klipsch HP-3 and listen to these most of all since acquiring them. Saying that, every time I grab the SEM5 and use it without exception I am so impressed at just how good they sound and that despite the other two headphones having a tilt toward warmth, that I don't find the SEM5 analytical in comparison. I do use a little bass boosting and other very minor EQ adjustments on the SEM5, but they are minor enough that the overall tonal balance remains pretty darn true to the stock signature. Beautifully made headphone, feels like one of the best made headphones that I have ever owned.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #265 of 305
I am selling a brand new pair of the leatherette ear pads for the sem5. Never been used. My pair were stollen w the velour pads on them so I have no use for the second leatherette pair.
These are very difficult to find and will run you around $150-200 shipped from Europe.
Looking for $150 shipped in USA
Any questions, let me know

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #267 of 305
Just joined the club. Must admit its a very high quality set both in build and sound. Running off a S.E.X 2.1 and Resnoessence Herus and it shows it pedigree.

Welcome back Pioneer. Its been a long journey to this from the Pioneer car stereos of my childhood.
I agree, it is quite a nice headphone. The build quality and ergonomics I feel are exceptional. The sound signature isn't perfect, but it is darn good IMO. If somebody is used to a nice warm sounding headphone and then tries the SEM5 they may find it feels like it is too cool sounding, and it does move toward neutral more than towards warmth, but I do feel that it is a solid effort by Pioneer. I am very happy that I still have mine.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #268 of 305
I agree, it is quite a nice headphone. The build quality and ergonomics I feel are exceptional. The sound signature isn't perfect, but it is darn good IMO. If somebody is used to a nice warm sounding headphone and then tries the SEM5 they may find it feels like it is too cool sounding, and it does move toward neutral more than towards warmth, but I do feel that it is a solid effort by Pioneer. I am very happy that I still have mine.

I'm using some Mrspeakers tuning pads and it's warming them up just a little bit. The resolution and clarity is TOTL, good enough to be called a closed HD800 and goes toe to toe with the Elegia and Fostex TH series.

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #269 of 305
I'm using some Mrspeakers tuning pads and it's warming them up just a little bit. The resolution and clarity is TOTL, good enough to be called a closed HD800 and goes toe to toe with the Elegia and Fostex TH series.
I agree. I have had an Elegia on hand to audition, and I owned the HD800S as well as a TH900 and TH600. Sadly not all at the same time mind you.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #270 of 305
I'm with you all. :)
Love my SEM5 out of the R28 rather than out of my V30 or even the BTR5.
While they sound very engaging with the V30 or the BTR5, the R28 adds the (little) missing low end to the overall great, not to say outstanding, sound quality of the SEM5.
The only headphone i'd pick over the Pioneer is my Era-1.
But the SEM5 has a serious presentation to the whole spectrum of frequencies.
I like to switch between both headphones periodly.
They're both general performers for so many genres.
Even if i'll get the Empyrian in the near future, i can't think of part with one of them.
Found the SEM5 as a used pair for 500€ at a hifi store in Berlin.
Very happy i've pulled the trigger.

Next thing is to get a solid XLR-cable from FAW for the SEM5.
Sadly, the cable for my Era-1, while it should fit perfectly, uses a slightly different wiring.

The stock 3.5 cable sound really well with my R28, but the balanced out should sound even better bc of the fully balanced amp section.
Looking forward to the arrival. :)
20200204_001627.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back