Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,668 of 2,189
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,669 of 2,189
Yeah agreed dealwise, however considering the SEM1 was originally supposed to be 1000 units only, I’m surprised to see it show up on mass drop.
Next thing we’ll see is NOS Qualia 010 showing up lol

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,672 of 2,189
I've had an opportunity to compare Master1 with Monitor5 at AXPONA at the Pioneer stand two weeks ago. I've hoped the Monitors will be a closed version of Master1, but they are not.... which is fine given the difference in price. Heard plenty of Utopias, an incredible headphone in my view.

May 1, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,673 of 2,189
Anyone drive either these or the SE5 with a LG V30 source? These SE1s would require either a clunky adapter or an MMCX to 3.5mm replacement (preferred). How does it sound and does anyone done this and have a cable recommendation that doesn't cost as much as the headphones themselves? :)

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #1,676 of 2,189
Anyone drive either these or the SE5 with a LG V30 source? These SE1s would require either a clunky adapter or an MMCX to 3.5mm replacement (preferred). How does it sound and does anyone done this and have a cable recommendation that doesn't cost as much as the headphones themselves? :)

I answered my own question--when i found these for well under a grand with upgraded MMCX ends no less as seen in the pic, I jumped on it sight unheard. No box but i don't listen to a box :) This is now my favorite headphone of my collection (including Hifiman HEX II) and the V30 drives them with authority with an unmatched clarity on my meticulous DSD files . The Beatles early tracks sound especially glorious through these with the great separation and potent bass. Now if i can just fix my well-regarded ExaSound E28 headphone jack that i managed to mangle...I'm sure they would sound even better!

20180812_173742.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #1,677 of 2,189
I answered my own question--when i found these for well under a grand with upgraded MMCX ends no less as seen in the pic, I jumped on it sight unheard. No box but i don't listen to a box :) This is now my favorite headphone of my collection (including Hifiman HEX II) and the V30 drives them with authority with an unmatched clarity on my meticulous DSD files . The Beatles early tracks sound especially glorious through these with the great separation and potent bass. Now if i can just fix my well-regarded ExaSound E28 headphone jack that i managed to mangle...I'm sure they would sound even better!

Let me get this straight.

You found a pair of SE Master-1s for under $1000 USD. They didn't have a box, but they did have their MMCX to 1/4" cable reterminated with new MMCX connectors?

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #1,678 of 2,189
20180813_001353.jpg
Let me get this straight.

You found a pair of SE Master-1s for under $1000 USD. They didn't have a box, but they did have their MMCX to 1/4" cable reterminated with new MMCX connectors?

Yep...that's pretty much exactly what i mean :) When i got them they were a bit high-end brittle as noted by many on here, so i hooked them up to white noise while i went away for a weekend. When i got back they were a completely different beast and sounded unbelievable even with my "lowly" V30--which pretty much requires dynamic driver 'phones. I have very sensitive hearing and most headphones get tiring after an hour or so...but these I can listen to hours on end with no issue--comfort and sound. And someone knew what they were doing with the tricky terminations as they look stock (see pic--and yes, they were a bit testy to clip onto the M1s) and left NO cord fraying anywhere.

Definitely one of my better purchases for sure--especially sight unseen.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,679 of 2,189
SEM1 are the most comfortable I've owned (LCD-3, TH900, Ether Flow, Elear, Z1R, Utopia). I would say the only ones built to equal or better quality are the Z1R. They do need a better cable though for sure. I use the WyWires Platinum with great success, balanced. It really transforms them. Sound wise, on some tracks I actually preferred them to the Utopia but overall I would put them in second place on that list.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #1,680 of 2,189
I just tried their 9-9-09 sampler in DSD quality and was mesmerized--talk about a great test for separation! And this is off a V30 phone--certainly so no slouch but certainly can get a better source. The SE1 may just be my endgame.

You really need a better amp and source to hear these things sing. I cannot imagine you getting anywhere remotely close to their potential. For a "cheap" amp, I'm using the Pathos Aurium now with them and it is outstanding! I preferred it to my V281.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back