Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jun 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #106 of 2,189
I don´t know how the ED 5 sound´s but i really cant imagine that any product from Ultrasone is worth that amount of money.
For me, you can call any price, if the product is outstanding in musical quality, but not for just keep it BlingBling-limited!

Some of the Ultrasones are not bad Headphones but I would none of them call a High End Product.
For me personally, i prefer the most natural sound i could get.

009 Stax, Abyss and maybe the HE1000 are my kind of taste and maybe worth the 3 - 5000 euro.

But i know people who like the crispy sound of some dynamic Can´s -- they might like the ED 10 too.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #107 of 2,189
  I don´t know how the ED 5 sound´s but i really cant imagine that any product from Ultrasone is worth that amount of money.
For me, you can call any price, if the product is outstanding in musical quality, but not for just keep it BlingBling-limited!

Some of the Ultrasones are not bad Headphones but I would none of them call a High End Product.
For me personally, i prefer the most natural sound i could get.

009 Stax, Abyss and maybe the HE1000 are my kind of taste and maybe worth the 3 - 5000 euro.

But i know people who like the crispy sound of some dynamic Can´s -- they might like the ED 10 too.

Yeah, I have the same experience with the Ultrasone Eds.
I pretty much like closed dynamics most of all though I tried orthos and a 007.
Will give them all a new try in August though.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #108 of 2,189
  How's the ED5?

Very interested in this too... very few people have it. No one has measured it. Everyone who does have it says its their best headphone.

This is probably relative to their headphones only, though, I'd have to speculate. But I would love to be proven wrong.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #109 of 2,189
compared to the Ultrasone Ed 10 the Ed 5 is said to be more neutral and different in bass; I might have the chance to compare the Ed 5 to the Ed 10 by the end of this or beginning of next week

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #110 of 2,189
Well, since the Pioneer is gonna be limited to 1000 I bit the bullet and ordered them from my local Pioneer/Marantz dealer.
He can still get a pair from Pioneer and I will have them by the end of the month.
At the price I hope they will be really good for classical music.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #111 of 2,189
  Well, since the Pioneer is gonna be limited to 1000 I bit the bullet and ordered them from my local Pioneer/Marantz dealer.
He can still get a pair from Pioneer and I will have them by the end of the month.
At the price I hope they will be really good for classical music.

Wait, 1000 for the first production run or 1000 pairs period???

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #113 of 2,189
Okay.....finally I can comment.....These are really, really good! I didn't want to make a rush judgement on these as they need a serious amount of run in. Now the treble has settled and we have a lovely amount of textured bass. They sound really open and really fast......I would say a warmer sounding HD800 with more texture in the mid-range. They seem to be an easy listen and everything is delivered with speed and accuracy....We were using the Invicta to test it out.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #114 of 2,189
  Okay.....finally I can comment.....These are really, really good! I didn't want to make a rush judgement on these as they need a serious amount of run in. Now the treble has settled and we have a lovely amount of textured bass. They sound really open and really fast......I would say a warmer sounding HD800 with more texture in the mid-range. They seem to be an easy listen and everything is delivered with speed and accuracy....We were using the Invicta to test it out.

Good to hear some more nice feedback about these since I just ordered them.
I ordered the balanced cable as well. Tried to push the dealer into arranging me a cable for free seen the price of these phones but he couldn't do that, the price of the cable is €380 here. Got it at half price though. :wink:

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #115 of 2,189

I would take that "less than 1000 planned" with a big grain of salt.

If there is sufficient demand after the first run sells out, I would not be the least bit surprised if Pioneer planned to make a second run.

Alternatively, if there are a few hundred units that the retailers can't move, then Pioneer will not plan a second run.     

Its Pioneer, a large Japanese electronics company; not the Franklin Mint.

Peace from Japan. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #116 of 2,189
I may be a bit sarcastic but I wonder if Pioneer is either 1) playing the unobtemium game to justify the rather high price of the product (from my little experience well above it's playing field, a la Ultrasone) and / or 2) testing the waters with this repeated venture into high end phones (they might already understand it's a rather steep price for what it gives).

Now, reports from Europe are 180 degrees out of phase with what I heard in Tokyo, so perhaps I just heard a completely undercooked sample / or otherwise it does not play wall with smallish heads.

arnaud

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #118 of 2,189
If the manufacturing capacity is only 4-5 a day, I doubt it that all 1000 have been produced and sold.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #120 of 2,189
My serial number is in two digits so it is a long way to reach 1000 at 4-5 a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back