Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jun 4, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #91 of 2,187
I think it might have more to do with noisy place + iPhone than burn in (or lack thereof)... I checked with my iPhone when I auditioned them in Munich, it worked and was not bad, but volume was quite limited despite their rather low nominal impedance (sensitivity is not that high at 94dB, don't know whether @ 1mW or 1V), so with quiet music or a noisy environment that combination is not going to cut it.

But I don't think Pioneer markets these as portable headphones, so it might be better to plan for a decent amp.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #94 of 2,187
I decided to give them a second chance, but not a BIC Camera where it is very noisey.  And with an amp this time. 

I was having some work done on my IEMs at e-earphone at Akihabara and low and behold - they had a pair of SE-1s just sitting there minding their own business.

E-earphone`s listening environment is great.  They have a large table in the back with a variety of amps and comfy chairs.  And they dont mind if you hang out and listen for an hour or 2, so I did.  Plus, they have tons of other headphones to A/B with, like the HD800 and the T1. 

Even though I was only using a Fostex HP-P1, I think it gave me a much better idea of what the SE-1s can do.  The source was my iPhone 6 playing wavs. 

Here are second impressions.

The SE-1 is not as detailed or analytic as the HD800, but they have a certain realism that the HD800s lack.  On the SE-1s, symbals really sound like symbals, with a metallic shimmer that is lacking on the HD800s.  Violins sound more like violins on the SE-1 also.  The SE-1s conveyed that raspy sound of the bow biting into the strings, which is very realistic IMO.  Also, the SE-1 has more air/space between the instruments, which I like.  Although the SE-1s seemed to convey less information about the recording environment than the HD800s, the different was slight and did not bother me.

In comparison with the T1s, the T1s actually sounded a bit congested.  I was shocked.  The SE-1s made the T1s sound a bit second rate, which I think is very difficult to do.

All in all, I have a new found respect for the SE-1s.  I got the impression I could live with them for a long time and that they would perform even better with my WA6SE. 

Peace from Japan.   

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #96 of 2,187
  A friend came back three days ago from Japan
He had these in his hand luggage.
They come from the e-earphones store in Tokyo.Akihabara.

They work really great with rock, metal and pop music so far.

Soloist SL

Thanks for letting me know. I thought you bought it locally and was going to check if they had more.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #97 of 2,187
  I decided to give them a second chance, but not a BIC Camera where it is very noisey.  And with an amp this time. 

I was having some work done on my IEMs at e-earphone at Akihabara and low and behold - they had a pair of SE-1s just sitting there minding their own business.

E-earphone`s listening environment is great.  They have a large table in the back with a variety of amps and comfy chairs.  And they dont mind if you hang out and listen for an hour or 2, so I did.  Plus, they have tons of other headphones to A/B with, like the HD800 and the T1. 

Even though I was only using a Fostex HP-P1, I think it gave me a much better idea of what the SE-1s can do.  The source was my iPhone 6 playing wavs. 

Here are second impressions.

The SE-1 is not as detailed or analytic as the HD800, but they have a certain realism that the HD800s lack.  On the SE-1s, symbals really sound like symbals, with a metallic shimmer that is lacking on the HD800s.  Violins sound more like violins on the SE-1 also.  The SE-1s conveyed that raspy sound of the bow biting into the strings, which is very realistic IMO.  Also, the SE-1 has more air/space between the instruments, which I like.  Although the SE-1s seemed to convey less information about the recording environment than the HD800s, the different was slight and did not bother me.

In comparison with the T1s, the T1s actually sounded a bit congested.  I was shocked.  The SE-1s made the T1s sound a bit second rate, which I think is very difficult to do.

All in all, I have a new found respect for the SE-1s.  I got the impression I could live with them for a long time and that they would perform even better with my WA6SE. 

Peace from Japan.   

Nice to hear some more impressions, I'm really considering these.
I can understand you say less anlytic but wonder why you would describe them as less detailed while your description of the sound actually portrays them as more detailed. Could you elaborate a bit more on that?
Also, how do you find them with classical music like Baroque or small sting ensembles?
And how do they fare with some lesser recordings like older (hard)rock?

Jun 6, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #98 of 2,187
I will re-read my notes and attempt to clarify my remarks.   

Overall, the HD800 provided more detail, but there were some things SE-1s did better.

On Andrew Manze`s JS Bach Violin Concerto CD, the SE-1s reproduced Andrew Manze`s raspy sounding violin extremely well; the HD800s were merely ok.  On the SE-1s, Manze`s violin was completely fleshed out and realistically portrayed.  On the HD800, it sounded less full bodied and lacking the raspy edge that Manze often gets while playing.

On the Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers CD, I Got The Blues has alot of reverb on it, especially on the vocals.  The HD800s reproduced that reverb really well.  The SE-1s did an ok job, but did not reproduce the reverb as well as the HD800s. 

So, some things the HD800s did better, and some things the SE-1 did better.

I guess it comes down to your sonic priorities. 

I hope this helps. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #99 of 2,187

The very little resumee I can give at the point is that I very much like the soundstage as well as the overall sound signature. I very much agree with basically everything plakat wrote earlier. The bass is extended, I personally feel more than the TH-900. So for people who prefer a real neutral presentation, this might not the the right choice.

... So good bass extension suddenly means not neutral? I'm confused. Please elaborate..?

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #100 of 2,187
  I will re-read my notes and attempt to clarify my remarks.   

Overall, the HD800 provided more detail, but there were some things SE-1s did better.

On Andrew Manze`s JS Bach Violin Concerto CD, the SE-1s reproduced Andrew Manze`s raspy sounding violin extremely well; the HD800s were merely ok.  On the SE-1s, Manze`s violin was completely fleshed out and realistically portrayed.  On the HD800, it sounded less full bodied and lacking the raspy edge that Manze often gets while playing.

On the Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers CD, I Got The Blues has alot of reverb on it, especially on the vocals.  The HD800s reproduced that reverb really well.  The SE-1s did an ok job, but did not reproduce the reverb as well as the HD800s. 

So, some things the HD800s did better, and some things the SE-1 did better.

I guess it comes down to your sonic priorities. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks again for posting your findings, sounds like I may like these a lot.
I would be buying them for classical mainly. For rock, especially the lesser recordings, I have the recabled HD650. 
The way you describe them sounds pretty good to me. I wasn't a huge fan of the HD800. Hot treble, lacking bass and exaggerated spatiality.
Maybe these will serve me just right for classical string music.
I'm trying to purchase them locally, will know more by Wednesday.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #101 of 2,187
I have been told by some of the dealers in Germany, that there will be only 60 pieces of the Master 1 for Europe.

One of these dealers did hear the Master 1 at the show in Munich and now has it in his show and is very impressed by this headphone although he is not a headphone enthusiast.

He does prefer the Master 1 to the HD800 and to the Stax headphones and he strongly recommends to use it with a very good headphone amp.

And I have got the impression, that the (limited) Master 1 will sell out very fast (but this is just an impression).

I have just ordered mine and hopefully will get it any time next week.

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #102 of 2,187
Hopefully you will be not too disapointed if you where once able to compare it with a STAX 009 or the HE1000 or an Audeze....

"and he strongly recommends to use it with a very good headphone amp" Ha, this will be helpful to all Headphones!

Maybe better asking a Headphone enthusiast or someone who´s experienced with can´s next time.
wink_face.gif

The story reminds me to the limited Ultrasone ED10 
eek.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #103 of 2,187
as not many peoble had the chance to listen to the Master 1, I thougt it might be helpful to someone to make up his mind; and I do not just read or listen to one opinion

I do not know the Ultrasone Edition 10 story, but I would not put any headphone in any corner, before I have not listened to it; so you could be right or wrong in that

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #104 of 2,187
I did not hear the ED10, read a lot in rev´s and believed some experts.
So buying the "Flagship" was one of the biggest mistakes i have ever made in my "HEADPHONE career".

I was trying to say--- only believe what you hear with your own ears!
The growing HighEnd Headphone market arouse interest in many companies to be part of.
I´ve been at HighEnd Munich (as i live right next to it) and not all of the new developed Cans where worth the visit. 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back