Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,577 of 2,189
What surprised me the most was the Utopia had the same creaky headband problem as the Elear. I heard all of this praise about the build quality, but it was pretty "meh" to me. The experience with it really makes me weary of trends and hype. I guess I had unreal expectations and expected to be wowed, but the Utopia is definitely not the second coming of the headphone world.

Aug 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #1,578 of 2,189
And the transferable warranty is good (not).

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #1,579 of 2,189
What surprised me the most was the Utopia had the same creaky headband problem as the Elear. I heard all of this praise about the build quality, but it was pretty "meh" to me. The experience with it really makes me weary of trends and hype. I guess I had unreal expectations and expected to be wowed, but the Utopia is definitely not the second coming of the headphone world.

i have an aversion to hype and my impression of the utopia was very different to yours. the sound, design, fit and finish was worthy of its high end status imo and i've spent time with most of the current flagship cans. i think it's a superb headphone, and there was no creaking emanating from the demo pair that i auditioned.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,580 of 2,189
Having spent a few days with the Utopia, the only thing I am sure of is that the Master1 is just better designed and built. It feels perfectly constructed, dead silent when moving the cups. Comfort is obviously different for everyone but the Utopia felt so much heavier on the top of the head than the Master1. Not going to say one or the other is superior in sound, as I know measurements on the Utopia are apparently better and accuracy is revered on the forum. Many with the Utopia have high end amps and DAC's so they must get much more out of it than I did.

Maybe it was my amps (Schiit Lyr 2 and Violectric V100 for desktop, HeadAmp Pico for portable) but my closed Pioneer Monitor5 seemed just as detailed and clear as the Utopia. The Utopia was a actually a shade darker. But it's not like the Monitor5 is too bright - it actually has a very non-fatiguing signature. Probably because of what I believe is an excellent balance across the spectrum.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,581 of 2,189
to clarify, when i refer to the utopia's fit and finish, i mean its build quality. I found the utopia comfortable but it's not the most comfortable headphone that I've worn, nor the lightest. however, I've also worn totl headphones that aren't as comfortable and are heavier.

I haven't tried the sem-1 or the sem-5 so i can't comment on them from personal experience.

i haven't seen any measurements for the sem-5 yet but there are for the sem-1, and they have been discussed at length earlier in this thread. i think it's fair to say that the sem-1's measured performance doesn't compare well to the utopia's.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,582 of 2,189
Having spent a few days with the Utopia, the only thing I am sure of is that the Master1 is just better designed and built. It feels perfectly constructed, dead silent when moving the cups. Comfort is obviously different for everyone but the Utopia felt so much heavier on the top of the head than the Master1. Not going to say one or the other is superior in sound, as I know measurements on the Utopia are apparently better and accuracy is revered on the forum. Many with the Utopia have high end amps and DAC's so they must get much more out of it than I did.

Maybe it was my amps (Schiit Lyr 2 and Violectric V100 for desktop, HeadAmp Pico for portable) but my closed Pioneer Monitor5 seemed just as detailed and clear as the Utopia. The Utopia was a actually a shade darker. But it's not like the Monitor5 is too bright - it actually has a very non-fatiguing signature. Probably because of what I believe is an excellent balance across the spectrum.
I find the Utopia works best with the Violectric amps when the impedance is set on -12. As you increase the setting it seems like the detail starts to decrease on the Utopia.

I'm glad to hear your impression of the Monitor 5. I ordered a pair today hoping they meet my expectations for closed back headphones unlike the MDR-Z7.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,583 of 2,189
Hi everyone- great to see some new Pioneer SEM1 owners enjoying these fine headphones.I'm currently on leave and I have left my headphones overseas locked up at work. I already have the cumbersome 2x 3XLR balanced Pioneer cable and I'm seeking to get a 4XLR balanced cable made up to use with my Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp, could someone please check on their own SEM1 mmcx ends and advise how deep they go and hole diameter?

Many thanks and warm regards from Australia.

Tim

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,584 of 2,189
I find the Utopia works best with the Violectric amps when the impedance is set on -12. As you increase the setting it seems like the detail starts to decrease on the Utopia.

I'm glad to hear your impression of the Monitor 5. I ordered a pair today hoping they meet my expectations for closed back headphones unlike the MDR-Z7.

Cool...curious to hear your impression of the Monitor5. I find that even with fairly low impedance/moderate sensitivity it seems to respond well to a good amount of power - tighter and more dynamic. I like it better than the Z1R. The Z7 is not even in the discussion.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,585 of 2,189
Cool...curious to hear your impression of the Monitor5. I find that even with fairly low impedance/moderate sensitivity it seems to respond well to a good amount of power - tighter and more dynamic. I like it better than the Z1R. The Z7 is not even in the discussion.
They should be on my doorstep Thursday. Afterwards, I hope to post my early impressions sometime next week on the SE-Monitor 5 thread.

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,588 of 2,189
311.jpg

111.jpg

I'm too happy about how it sounds :)

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #1,589 of 2,189
Just pulled out the Master-1 after quite some time -- and I still like it. Very much actually.
Works nicely with the Hugo where I don't hear the slight harsh tendency in lower treble it exhibits with some amps.

Bump: would very much appreciate if someone could advise at the SEM1 mmcx ends and advise how deep they go and hole diameter?

Cheers

The hole diameter is 6.9mm, depth is 4,3mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back