Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Sep 12, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,591 of 2,188
Thanks Plakat much appreciate you checking.
What headphones have you been listening to aside from the Master SE1?

I generally enjoy a K812 and K3003 (both recently rebought) and just got an Ultrasone Jubilee 25 Edition, which is quite nice and sounds much better than I anticipated (I got it primarily as a collectors item :wink:. On the go I enjoy the V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless.

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,592 of 2,188
Has anyone tried this can with the Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse? (I also have a Sony WM1z). There is no way for me to demo the M1 unfortunately, but I love the look of them. Very intrigued.

Also can anyone compare them to the Enigma Dharma?

Thanks

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,593 of 2,188
I had both the Enigma and Master1 at one point but not at the same time. The Master1 has stronger bass impact and wider soundstage. It's amazing how deep and full the bass is for an open back headphone. Enigma might have a tad more clarity and treble extension though. Both have fantastic build quality and comfort. I would give the edge in comfort to the Master1 because ear pads have a larger opening and the headband distributes weight better. Overall the Enigma is the better value because it's over $1K cheaper. It's also one of the most solidly built headphones I've ever tried regardless of price, rivaling the Utopia in my opinion. The Master1 is also superior to the Utopia in terms of design and comfort.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #1,594 of 2,188
I had both the Enigma and Master1 at one point but not at the same time. The Master1 has stronger bass impact and wider soundstage. It's amazing how deep and full the bass is for an open back headphone. Enigma might have a tad more clarity and treble extension though. Both have fantastic build quality and comfort. I would give the edge in comfort to the Master1 because ear pads have a larger opening and the headband distributes weight better. Overall the Enigma is the better value because it's over $1K cheaper. It's also one of the most solidly built headphones I've ever tried regardless of price, rivaling the Utopia in my opinion. The Master1 is also superior to the Utopia in terms of design and comfort.

Many thanks. Very informative.

Sep 16, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #1,595 of 2,188
Has anyone tried this can with the Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse? (I also have a Sony WM1z). There is no way for me to demo the M1 unfortunately, but I love the look of them. Very intrigued.

Also can anyone compare them to the Enigma Dharma?

Thanks

Had the Dharma and loved it - was my second favorite headphone at the time behind the HE-6. Then I got the SE Master 1............no contest, the Pioneer is now my all time favorite headphone in every way. The bass is what I am most impressed with - it goes as deep as a closed can and all the other areas of sound the Pioneer edges the Dharma. Loved the treble on the Dharma but overall the Pioneer beats it.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #1,599 of 2,188
I listened to Utopia and I actually liked them better, so bought a pair. Will list mine Master-1 for sale soon.

May I ask how the Utopia compared to the Master 1? what you preferred over the M1? thanks

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,601 of 2,188
Even though it would appear that I've semi retired from head-fi (work commitments, and a resurged love of AV), got the SEM1 on my head right now, still sounding great, and well worth the price of admission

Re the Utopia, I can definitely hear why some people will prefer them to the M1, however - for me, there is a twang (probably the beryllium that is the selling point) in the tonality that just doesn't sit right with me :frowning2:

On the bright side, that revelation saved me £4k :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,603 of 2,188
I've heard the Utopia once, had enough within about 10min and no urge to hear it again since then... somehow it just does not fit my taste. Absolute quality does not help in that case I guess... I still own and enjoy the Master-1 though.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,604 of 2,188
Very interestings remarks:beerchug: here about Utopia and Master-1 that confirm that good sound for one is not musicality for another one ....I am interested by other's experience because i have no money to buy Utopia, and it is satisfying to know that more costly dont equate better music experience...Thanks

Certainly the Utopia is an exceptional headphone i dont doubt that for sure.....But taste and law of diminushing returns is a motive to think before buying...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #1,605 of 2,188
i still haven't heard the se-m1 and it doesn't look likely that i will in the foreseeable future unfortunately. i've auditioned the utopia a few times now and think it's an exceptional headphone. i wish that i owned one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back