Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Mar 8, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,516 of 1,830

Fraza44 - thanks for the info :)

I just received the Onkyo HA300 - impressed by first few listens, and love how the volume can get a further boost by gain. But compared to the Pioneer I'm not sure if the Onkyo is worth keeping. The sound is good on both, but the Pioneer has longer battery life, room for 2 memory cards, and can play ALAC when used as a DAP. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,517 of 1,830

I just received the Onkyo HA300 - impressed by first few listens, and love how the volume can get a further boost by gain. But compared to the Pioneer I'm not sure if the Onkyo is worth keeping. The sound is good on both, but the Pioneer has longer battery life, room for 2 memory cards, and can play ALAC when used as a DAP. 

You may want to start a burn in process because my Teac really opened up with plenty (150) hours of burn in.   Now the HA300 or Teac P90SD are not in the same league when it comes to the feature set of the Pioneer XDP-100R but if you read some of the information on the Onkyo HA300 and Teac P90SD you will find the two companies approach was keeping the interface very basic and focusing on the actual sound quality of these two players. 

With a very simple UI they were able to eliminate allot of noise which results in a hiss free very black background player.

Andre 

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,518 of 1,830
@Anarkia333,
Sorry for late answer...I have an Audiotechnica ath-msr7 and Sony 1a as daily drivers, and indeed audio artifacts still occur if the track is too silent at low volume. But somehow, using opensl output generates background hiss.
I am using Audiotrack output and float32 sample format, I think it is the best compromise (louder than without dvc, almost no distorsion, no hiss and volume scaling not broken, sound artifacts still there) for my usage. But there are some differences in sound or how the eq is processed, can't tell if it is better or not.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,519 of 1,830
@Anarkia333,
Sorry for late answer...I have an Audiotechnica ath-msr7 and Sony 1a as daily drivers, and indeed audio artifacts still occur if the track is too silent at low volume. But somehow, using opensl output generates background hiss.
I am using Audiotrack output and float32 sample format, I think it is the best compromise (louder than without dvc, almost no distorsion, no hiss and volume scaling not broken, sound artifacts still there) for my usage. But there are some differences in sound or how the eq is processed, can't tell if it is better or not.

Oki xD

Me I See Big Difference Between Application by Default and Other (PowerAmp/Foobar....) xD

Application Stock (Hardware Drivers DAC): Clear, Great.... xD
Other (OPEN SL/Audio Track Drivers Android): Flat, Noise, same as a Smatphone at 100e... xD

FOr Other DAP as IBASSODX200, FiooX5III, it is the same problem: ONLY Stock Sofware "Player Music" works with Internal DAC....

If you Like the MODE SOFTWARE (Audio Track with CPU) why take XDP-100r at 700euro? xD
Try Fioo X1 the SOund will be better... xD

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,520 of 1,830
Can any of you XDP-100R owners recommend a armband style case for use in the gym that would work with this XDP-100R.  I've searched the internet and can't seem to find any case for the XDP-100 so now I'm wondering if any of the Iphone or Samsung Galaxy Armband like this one will work.

Thanks  Andre

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #1,521 of 1,830
Wanted some suggestions. I currently have the XDP-100R and wanted to add a little extra amp power to it. I will be driving a pair of Audeze EL8's and a pair of Sines from them and I know these planars would benefit from a little extra power than what the Pioneer is putting out. Any recommendations that could easily stack with the Pioneer? And what is the best way to hook it up. Any suggestions other than the Chord Hugo, it's out of my price range.. Thinking $75-$150 or so.

Thanks in advance,

James

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #1,523 of 1,830

@larzy,

I haven't received my Pioneer XDP-100R yet but can you give me your SQ impressions of the XDP-100R vs the Onkyo HA300.   Does the HA300 have a wider sound stage and more depth or is it pretty close to the HA300 in sound quality.  My Teac P90 has a similair to the HA300.   

I don't know if I'm willing to keep the Pioneer if it doesn't have a better SQ, $300.00 for just a better UI is not a really a good deal.   Maybe a Cayin i5 or AK 100ii is a better choice for improved SQ and UI over the XDP-100R and Teac HA-P90SD.

Andre

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #1,524 of 1,830

I think the sound quality is more or less the same. I returned my Pioneer although I think it's more convenient then the Onkyo, but due to low volume, I knew I wouldn't use it in the long run. The Pioneer can enable line-out which increases the volume - but by a lot, and this is not controllable from a phone or a pair of headphones. 

The Onkyo is able to find the perfect volume, which makes it a better device for me. Big, heavy - yes, but I planned to use either device for listening at home.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,525 of 1,830

I think the sound quality is more or less the same. I returned my Pioneer although I think it's more convenient then the Onkyo, but due to low volume, I knew I wouldn't use it in the long run. The Pioneer can enable line-out which increases the volume - but by a lot, and this is not controllable from a phone or a pair of headphones. 

The Onkyo is able to find the perfect volume, which makes it a better device for me. Big, heavy - yes, but I planned to use either device for listening at home.

Low volume is a shame for such a notable company, did you have the latest firmware which remove the EU volume limiter, that assuming your somewhere in the EU.  You would think the major brands could get it right out the gate but this Teac's UI has shown me there is a lack of quality control spreading in which the customer has to just live with it until the firmware is released or the recall announced.   If the Pioneer is that close in sound quality to the Onkyo then I'll probably send it back also.  I'm looking for something to take me to the next level over the Teac.

I was listening to my Teac P90 last night along with my LZ A4 IEMs and I just couldn't believe how good the sound has become, I heard things on songs I've never heard before, this player with some good break in time really brings out the micro details.  The UI might be a pain but I'll live with it. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,526 of 1,830
If you Like the MODE SOFTWARE (Audio Track with CPU) why take XDP-100r at 700euro? xD
Try Fioo X1 the SOund will be better... xD

It's more like 500 euro (bought 1 year after release xD) and no, Android with decent SoC was a must and dual microsd is very nice to have.
Hope PowerAmp alpha update will rollout this month, otherwise I'll root it to enable Compress-Offload...

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #1,527 of 1,830
I just picked up one of the XDP-100r off Amazon for $300. I liked the features for the price, so I am giving it a try.  It sounds good with my Campfire Audio Nova's so far and the MEE Pinnacle P1 sound pretty good too ... I was wondering if it would have enough power for the P1's, but It seems to be good.   With my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro 250's it is a different story. I think I could live with it, but it won't quite push them to their max. 

I was wondering, from what I have read in parts of this thread so far, it looks like this player only uses its DAC with the built in music player?  What about using Tidal?  It seems to still sound pretty good to me, streaming HiFi.   

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,528 of 1,830
  I just picked up one of the XDP-100r off Amazon for $300. I liked the features for the price, so I am giving it a try.  It sounds good with my Campfire Audio Nova's so far and the MEE Pinnacle P1 sound pretty good too ... I was wondering if it would have enough power for the P1's, but It seems to be good.   With my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro 250's it is a different story. I think I could live with it, but it won't quite push them to their max. 

I was wondering, from what I have read in parts of this thread so far, it looks like this player only uses its DAC with the built in music player?  What about using Tidal?  It seems to still sound pretty good to me, streaming HiFi.   

Stock Player ONLY use DAC Hardware on XDP-100R, IbassoDX200, FiooX5III.... xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back