Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Feb 26, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,501 of 1,830
  Sorry for my language first but let me to clarify the situation. This also applies to the DP-X1.
Both players has one or two es9018k2m DAC's and that's it.
The difference in sound due to different software sound paths.The android has a several ways to output audio and all of them have different limitations.
1) AudioTrack. Almost all applications use this method. The method is limited to 48000/16 bit or even 44100/16 + oversampling.
2) OpenSL ES - Some applications allow you to switch to this method, but it does not give advantages in the Pioneer/Onkyo too.
3) Compress Offload (ALSA) - Only native apps (Pioneer and Onkyo Music) and Poweramp Alpha It seems to use this mode. But poveramp not properly activate this mode on Onkyo/Pioneer and it does not work (yet). The method takes full advantage of the DAC and is not affected by resampling and other restrictions. This is a direct method of interaction with the DAC kernel module.
Therefore, a rule - if you want to listen to music in high quality, without resampling, use only native apps and Poweramp (later, maybe). Everything else (at least I have not found other applications) degrades the sound. To check which interface and the frequency / bitdepth with which sound is output, I used logcat.

I Think I understand why I have breath, parasite at Down Volume (1/160)....

Only the Application of Pionneer Use DAC Hardware.....
All Sofware Use Snapdragon SOfware as PowerAmp..... xD

Sound is the better with the Application by default....

I tested PowerAmp Beta 3 and I can choice "Audio Track" or "OpenSL ES", Hi-res don't Works...

I think because DXP-100r is too young, just wait futur compatibility for to have Sound Hardware DAC with other Player.....

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,502 of 1,830
  I've had my XDP-100R almost a year now and have read the whole of this thread but can't see if there has been a definitive resolution to the issue re 'skipping when playing through Tidal from SD card'?  I have experienced this in the past but it seems to be one of those intermittent issues that bugs the hell out of me!  Have I missed something or is it still WIP?

​I'm very interested in knowing the answer to this as well.  What's been your experience lately?  How often does it happen if at all?

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #1,503 of 1,830
  I Think I understand why I have breath, parasite at Down Volume (1/160)....

Only the Application of Pionneer Use DAC Hardware.....
All Sofware Use Snapdragon SOfware as PowerAmp..... xD

Sound is the better with the Application by default....

I tested PowerAmp Beta 3 and I can choice "Audio Track" or "OpenSL ES", Hi-res don't Works...

I think because DXP-100r is too young, just wait futur compatibility for to have Sound Hardware DAC with other Player.....

Actually I had PowerAmp Beta 3 working but you need to get your unit rooted since some system files need modification and permissions given, you can see the picture under http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/13860#post_13278013

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #1,504 of 1,830
@Anarkia333 : Not necessarily. I might encountered a glitch but I got no background noise at volume 1-2 with Neutron MP (which doesn't seem to use all the capacities from the dac), and when I switched back to PowerAmp, disabling all effects/eq/DVC and set output setting to AudioTrack, the sound was also clean at low volumes. Setting back to OpenSL makes noises coming back.

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,505 of 1,830
Hi Mokocchi xD

I Tried All Option.... xD
Audio track, openES, Equalizer, Hires on PowerAmp and other (Foobar/Aimp3/UAPP)...
Still noise.... And Bad quality... xD

ONLY sofware of Pioneer Use DAC ESS Hardware actualy...

If you Use PowerAmp you use Sofware mode with CPU Snapdragon, it's a quality a Telephone at 100e...... xD

What Headphone do you Use???

@guliver
Thx you I will see that later if ONLY the sofware of Pioneer is supported, and if Pioneer don't make Update later to Android 6,7....
With DAP on Android now it will be same problem that Telephone I think.... Android STOCK very BAD, with many many sofware of Constructor.... xD
But for the XDP-100R the Android is oki, juste Sofware useful, .... Not as my ASUS ZENPHONE2 with Thousand of thousand of sofware .....

I am a bit Deceased because I take Android DAC for choice my Sofware, and now I am Blocked.... xD
But Sofware STOCK works so It's not actually a problem for me....
I question me if ANDROID if nice or not, and why take it if ALL Sofware of Other don't Works with HARDWARE DAC ESS.... xD
Other Reason that I take Android is I tell me that Android is Free, so Pioneer has more Money for Make better DAC that if it do the Sofware.... Sofware devellopement is Cost.... xD

Maybe Pionner don't want communicate actually the DRIVERS INTERNAL of the DAC, maybe for Secret professionel.... ???
So Other Software is Blocked.... No Drivers, so they use Drivers Basic of Android not choice....

My DAC <3:

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #1,506 of 1,830
  Hi Mokocchi xD

I Tried All Option.... xD
Audio track, openES, Equalizer, Hires on PowerAmp and other (Foobar/Aimp3)...
Still noise.... And Bad quality... xD

ONLY sofware of Pioneer Use DAC ESS Hardware actualy...

If you Use PowerAmp you use Sofware mode with CPU Snapdragon, it's a quality a Telephone at 100e...... xD

What Headphone do you Use???

@guliver
Thx you I will see that later if ONLY the sofware of Pioneer is supported, and if Pioneer don't make Update later to Android 6,7....
With DAP on Android now it will be same problem that Telephone I think.... Android STOCK very BAD, with many many sofware of Constructor.... xD
But for the XDP-100R the Android is oki, juste Sofware useful, .... Not as my ASUS ZENPHONE2 with Thousand of thousand of sofware .....

My DAC <3:

I notice you have what looks like the Red Teac HA-P90SD in the above pic.   I've had my P90 for about 3 weeks now and I love the sound but the UI is so buggy and the sound stage so narrow (All in my head) that I'm thinking about snagging the XDP-100R from Newegg for $299 which is an outstanding deal.

Could you please give me a detailed comparison of the P90 vs XD-100R.   Does it have a wider sound stage, is the overall sound quality better.   I would hate to spend an addition $299 just to get a better UI.   I'm using LZ A4 IEMs with my P90 and as I state earlier I love the sound just would like a wider sound stage and much better UI.

If the XDP-100R is better than I'll throw the P90 on the classifieds once I get the XD-100R.

Thanks 

Andre

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #1,507 of 1,830
@fraza44

Heyyy xD,

Yesss the UI is Terrible, the more bad in Universe..... xD
And, the BIg problem for me is that there is not "Folder" option... Just Song by Album, Artist....
And TEAC don't make Update... Still in version 1.3 since more 1years....
Other problem Come Back still.... Just for change Song, come back "Main Menu".... xD

Comparaison???
Yes I do actually, just Wait a few days, I test, compare.... And I tell here my Preference xD

In First I think the 2 DAC is very close.
And, same if TEAC is Better I use XDP-100R now because its Interface is very BAD.... xD

XDP-100R has several option, so I Test all....
Sursample 44.1 to 192Khz.... xD

I Like the TWO because they are at Opposite xD
One is ZERO with ergonomie, Big, Big Electronic, The Other (XDP-100) is nice, little, ergonomic.... xD
It's a Great question at Universe "Is it possible to Have quality and Ergonomic at same Time?"...

Just tested using n7player on the XDP-100R, and I can be pretty sure that the player is choosing the DAC on the Snapdragon chip instead of the separate ESS DAC & AMP chips. Sound quality was significantly reduced with a more distorted/grainy sound, will the overall sound appearing muddy and very closed in.

Using in built player vs n7player you can definitely hear a big difference.

Want to share in case anyone was wondering, I guess this maybe the same case if you tried this on the DP-X1.

Yep we are oki on this Point! xD

It's true, the Pioneer has no noticeable background noises / hiss. At least I don't hear any.
I am using pretty sensitive CIEMs as well (Vision Ears VE6 X2) and had those hissing problems with my FiiO X5 (first gen), MacBook etc, too. Not with the Pio.

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know the only advantage of the Onkyo over the Pioneer is the balanced output. It only makes use of the second DAC and amp via balanced out. Apart from that they are nearly the same (as I said, at least that's what I heard).

Only thing that I don't understand is if it resamples every 44.1kHz file to 48kHz, 88.2 to 96 and so on (see two posts above that one)

TEAC HA-P90SD has  "two crystal oscillators (44.1kHz and 48kHz)", each for multimple of 88khz, 96khz, 176Khz and 192Khz...
http://www.teac.com/product/ha-p90sd/overview/

I think XDP-100R has ONLY one Quartz xD

But I've No Idea of the inpact on quality... xD

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,510 of 1,830
  @fraza44

Heyyy xD,

Yesss the UI is Terrible, the more bad in Universe..... xD
And, the BIg problem for me is that there is not "Folder" option... Just Song by Album, Artist....
And TEAC don't make Update... Still in version 1.3 since more 1years....
Other problem Come Back still.... Just for change Song, come back "Main Menu".... xD

Comparaison???
Yes I do actually, just Wait a few days, I test, compare.... And I tell here my Preference xD

In First I think the 2 DAC is very close.
And, same if TEAC is Better I use XDP-100R now because its Interface is very BAD.... xD

XDP-100R has several option, so I Test all....
Sursample 44.1 to 192Khz.... xD

I Like the TWO because they are at Opposite xD
One is ZERO with ergonomie, Big, Big Electronic, The Other (XDP-100) is nice, little, ergonomic.... xD
It's a Great question at Universe "Is it possible to Have quality and Ergonomic at same Time?"...

Yep we are oki on this Point! xD

TEAC HA-P90SD has  "two crystal oscillators (44.1kHz and 48kHz)", each for multimple of 88khz, 96khz, 176Khz and 192Khz...
http://www.teac.com/product/ha-p90sd/overview/

I think XDP-100R has ONLY one Quartz xD

But I've No Idea of the inpact on quality... xD

@Anarkia333,

I can't wait to read your impression of the Teac P90 and the Pioneer.   I'm holding off on the purchase of the Pioneer until you've had a chance to post your findings.  I can live with the Teac buggy UI if it has the same SQ as the Pioneer.

Thank you

Andre

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,511 of 1,830
Do You Have Expérience with Lock Range??? xD

The Documentation of DAC Pioneer U-05-S explain a bit:
http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/manuals/U-05-S_manual_FRpdf.pdf

With Nice Source, we can put more Little Range for Better quality.... xD

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,512 of 1,830
  @Anarkia333,

I can't wait to read your impression of the Teac P90 and the Pioneer.   I'm holding off on the purchase of the Pioneer until you've had a chance to post your findings.  I can live with the Teac buggy UI if it has the same SQ as the Pioneer.

Thank you

Andre

Heyyy xD,

Come Back xD

So, I Tested some Hours the 2 DAC.... (TEAC P90 and XDP-100R)

Conditions TEST:
Headphone: Shure SE535.
Break-in: About 30h each.
XDP 100R:
For XDP-100R I Tested with the Player Music STOCK, because Other Sofware use Software mode and Bad quality, noise at Low Volume, No Dynamic...
Gain LOW2. XDP-100R in Japonese Version. Surrsample to 48Khz (No BitPerfect with it). no DSP.
TEAC P90:
Version 1.3.
Gain LOW.

This is my Conclusion:
-TEAC is nice, but sound "to close", "very clearly", a bit "Agressif"
I thing too clearly, and no neutral.

-XDP-100R
Perfect, sound "Open", "clear".
I thing very Neutral.

2 DAC are nice, but Different.
Dependly of your "TASTE" in Sound, what you prefer....

But, as the P90 has a UI very very BAD, I thing it is Good for User who LOVE its Sound, if not this DAC has 0 Interet I think....

On this Music the Sound "to Close" of the P90 is evident:

Voice is Too "Clear" on P90, Hide some details I think:

But on my Favorite Music P90 is better that XDP xD: (ahah)

One question when I Read a DFF, it's write DSD 2.8Mhz at Left, and PCM 192Khz at Right with Player STOCK, so, The XDP-100 Convert DSD or can Read natively???
If it COnvert DSD to simple PCM 192Khz, this DAP can't not READ DSD exactly.... xD
Read PCM 192Khz is same so....

Note About Other Player Software:
With Ibasso200 and FiooX5III, two new DAP, same problem with Other Player Music, ONLY the STOCK PLAYER can Works with HARDWARE DAC...
I Think the Constructor don't want that User use other Software, So they don't give DRIVERS to other, example PowerAmp, AIMP3, FOOBAR,....
So they use Android Mode Basic: OPEN ES.... And Quality bad... Same as a Smartphone....
PowerAmp BETA 3.0 has a OPTION "Output HD", but don't works actually....

So, we have Android, but we can' not Install Other... xd
The Solution is ROOT.... xD
Now, with DAP, it is the SAME problem with Smartphone.... When Constructor don't want Update, ROOT! xD
Or if the Android has Many many Sofware buggy, ROOT! xD

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,513 of 1,830
Even though I love the sound of my Teac HA-P90SD I couldn't resist the $299.00 NewEgg sale on the XDP so today I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the purchase of the XDP-100R.  I had also been looking at the Cayin I5 which you can pickup in the classified for $300+.   If I don't like the XDP-100R, then I'll return it to NewEgg and pickup a Cayin I5.

I can tell you this, any DAP I get has it's hands full to beat the sound of my Teac P90.   I've been burning in my P90 and LZ A4 IEM non stop since I purchased them and this setup has really opened up.   If the XDP-100R sounds as good then I will keep it just for a better UI experience.

Andre

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,514 of 1,830
  Even though I love the sound of my Teac HA-P90SD I couldn't resist the $299.00 NewEgg sale on the XDP so today I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the purchase of the XDP-100R.  I had also been looking at the Cayin I5 which you can pickup in the classified for $300+.   If I don't like the XDP-100R, then I'll return it to NewEgg and pickup a Cayin I5.

I can tell you this, any DAP I get has it's hands full to beat the sound of my Teac P90.   I've been burning in my P90 and LZ A4 IEM non stop since I purchased them and this setup has really opened up.   If the XDP-100R sounds as good then I will keep it just for a better UI experience.

Andre

Does the Teac HA-P90SD compare to the Onkyo HA300? I bought the Pioneer as well recently, and am positive towards it, but I'm curious how it compares to the Onkyo (sound wise...) 

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,515 of 1,830

Does the Teac HA-P90SD compare to the Onkyo HA300? I bought the Pioneer as well recently, and am positive towards it, but I'm curious how it compares to the Onkyo (sound wise...) 

Larzy, below is a comparison between the  P90SD and the HA300 done by Trance over in the Teac HA-P90SD Owners thread, Trance owns both players.  Also one thing to note about the two companies, is that Teac has released about 5 firmware upgrade for the P90SE and Onkyo has released ZERO.

"Quick comparison of P90SD and HA300.

P90SD-
Perceived balance: Very slightly warm, yet still unforgiving of bright headphones or bad recordings because it is just brutally detailed. Black background and low impedance.
Bass: Very slight mid bass hump, but as tight as it gets, great impact, sub bass loses to mid bass for ear time as a result.
Mids: Slightly warm, smoother, not as in your face, kinda honeyed yet detailed, mids are in line with treble.
Treble: Slightly warm, excellent timbre, cymbals sound spot on.
Sound stage: Small, but extremely dense texture and timbre, and no artificial walls to the sound, most larger sound stage daps sound thin and lacking body and realism in comparison (Cayin N6...).

HA300-
Perceived balance: Very slightly cold, perceived detail is higher as a result of the slight coldness. Brutally detailed +1. Black background and low impedance.
Bass: Essentially perfectly balanced between sub bass and mid bass, very neutral, sub bass is easier heard due to the neutral balance.
Mids: Slightly cold tonality, aka slight upper mid emphasis,  mids as a result seem more upfront, increasing perceived sound stage size, mids are in line with treble.
Treble: Slightly cold tonality, increases sound stage size.
Sound stage: Medium, not as dense in textures, but bigger sound stage in return, no artificial walls to the sound, does not suffer from lacking body.

Bottom line: I can't pick one as the winner, they both sound excellent and I honestly like both equally. For each category of bass mids and treble I found that I prefer presentation of some songs on the P90SD and other songs on the HA300. The differences I'm talking about are small differences, I classify both as very neutral daps that are extremely detailed. For example, I might be describing P90SD as slightly warm (which is what I hear) but I'm a veteran of neutral sound, I guarantee any person on the street would find it bright or bass light, but it's just very detailed and neutral with the perceived tonality that I described above, same for HA300, I descibe it as slightly cold, but it's just extremely detailed and neutral with the perceived tonality described above. I'm very happy to have both daps as its nice to have two slightly different takes that retain balance and detaile. Both daps excel in timing and pacing of the music compared to all other dap's I've heard, and also have blacker backgrounds. It's Interesting to hear what a change in two pairs of opamps for LPF and Voltage Follower did to the sound between the daps. Very cool.

Cheers"

Hope this answer your question but if not you can read more about the Teac HA-P90SD in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/740309/teac-ha-p90sd-to-be-released-in-dec-2014

Andre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back