Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #1,471 of 1,830
Hey, since this thread is active, and my XDP-100r just arrived today, I am wondering if anyone is happy with the performance of the higher ohm headphones like the HD600 series, or DT990 or K700 series.

I have HD598's that can go back, just not sure if I could go without an amp for better phones.
I have no interest in a separate amp.

Haven't opened it, because I'm not sure I'm keeping it.  Just jumped on the $299 price while I could...since it's the same budget as other players I am interested in.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #1,472 of 1,830
  Well I just unpacked, charged, and configured my recent Pioneer XDP-100R purchase from the Newegg/ElectronicsExpo deal that has been ongoing.  I proceeded to load a few of my favorite HiRes albums onto a SD card and.....Wow really glad I made the purchase, the sound and capabilities  of this XDP -100R are amazing, so much more than just a music player.

My only complaint thus far is that the 3.5mm connectors on several HPs I have, are too large (diameter) to fit w/o an adapter with the handle/bumper in place, which does seem handy; I hate to remove it so guess I will live with an adapter.

Haven't had a chance to experiment much, but certainly like what I have heard in HiRes from the SD card.

I did load the Amazon music app and the streaming is fine as expected, but not the quality of the HiRes on the SD.

I want to give Tidal a try so will be on the lookout for one of their 6 mo trials I keep hearing about.

I do notice the album art is present, on all the desktop screens as some have mentioned.  This doesn't bother me; I like that it is there when using the player, but it should be able to be removed if desired from the other screens....suspect it is just a checkbox somewhere.

The stock music player seems to be fine so far, but I am open to any recommendations for a better player.  Some time back I purchased Poweramp & n7player from the Google store for a phone, so may give them a try.

Hi, just curious, have you tried your higher ohm phones without an amp ?
If so... any good ?

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #1,473 of 1,830

Hi, just curious, have you tried your higher ohm phones without an amp ?
If so... any good ?

I believe I read somewhere the volume maxes at 130 on the display.

My AudioQuest NightHawk 25 ohms are comfortable in the 80x on most tunes

My Sennheiser HD600 300 ohms are comfortable in the 100s

My Beyerdynamic Tesla T1   600 Ohm are comfortable in the 110s....I did crank a bit just for fun and the player gives a warning @130 about listening at high volumes; I clicked OK and it then got uncomfortable but not distorted, not sure what the max on the readout is from there.

One could easily amp with a OTG cable it appears, but not necessary.

The ESS SABRE ES9018KTM DAC, ESS SABRE 9601k Amp sound quite nice to my ears.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #1,474 of 1,830
Thank you.
Am considering a different headphone than the HD598.  
But the alternatives, according to my research, when comparing sound quality, all seem to be 300 ohm +
The HD598 is so comfortable though... just not sure what to do.

Again.. thanks for replying.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,475 of 1,830
In the upper right corner select the three horizontal Lilly bars, right over album artwork is "settings" , select it. Then you will have to scroll down and under OTHER you will find Home Screen wallpaper setting, unselect it.

James

Yes, this setting is indeed off (see my original post) but I'm still getting album art as the background. Odd.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,476 of 1,830
Yes, this setting is indeed off (see my original post) but I'm still getting album art as the background. Odd.

I think the Onkyo music player also does it. If you go back to you wallpaper and set you back ground, and make sure all music apps are closed. Then play the pioneer player, the wallpaper for me didnt change, then I opened my Onkyo player... played a song and the wallpaper changed. The Onkyo player I am using is NOT the he player.

James

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #1,477 of 1,830
I too recently became the proud owner of the XDP-100R US model through the newegg deal from a few weeks ago. When paired with my Sennheiser HD650, I'm pretty close to maxing out the volume, my listening level is between 155 - 160 in a quiet room. My volume gain control is set to "High", I mostly listen to FLAC format using the stock music player.

Since I'm really close to maxing out the volume, I've been using with a program called Speakerboost from the app store. I have boost level at 10% while my volume level is at 135 - 140. Just wanted to see if any of you guys have tried out similar programs and what your thoughts are regarding these programs. Thanks

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,481 of 1,830
  But how do you unfold Tidals MQA master to XDP-100R. PC Tidal only unfold to 96k/24bits. I would like to unfold Tidal Master MQA to 192k/24bis.  XDP-100R claim MQA but can't do PC-USB-DAC.

MQA is Tidal desktop only right now. No MQ on TIDAL iOS/Android/AK ... yet.

The Tidal App on iOS or Android will not even present the MQA file. Right now, the Tidal app on mobile devices will present the FLAC 44/16bit file - it doesn't get to see the 24bit MQA file that the Desktop apps get to see. So there this no MQA for the XDP100R to unfold at present.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,482 of 1,830
So how XDP-100R claim they are MQA capable? I see you can download MQA for $24 a disc which is insane. I would like to see Tidal unfold. Even my FIIO X3 2nd Gen can USB DAC  Tidal lossless upsampled to 192k/24bit. I can't even get USB DAC to XDP-100R.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,483 of 1,830
  So how XDP-100R claim they are MQA capable? I see you can download MQA for $24 a disc which is insane. I would like to see Tidal unfold. Even my FIIO X3 2nd Gen can USB DAC  Tidal lossless upsampled to 192k/24bit. I can't even get USB DAC to XDP-100R.

The XDP-100R is MQA capable. The Tidal Android app is not MQA capable yet. Upsampling is different to unfolding. You can get your XDP-100R upsampling if that's what you want. In fact, Android 5.0+ upsamples everything it puts over USB to 192khz whether you like it or not. 

Where you say, "I can't even get USB DAC to XDP-100R", are you looking to have the XDP-100R operate as a DAC, or use a separate DAC with the XDP-100R via USB? If the latter, I use my Chord Mojo with the XDP-100R without any problem at all.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #1,484 of 1,830
I am trying use PC App to stream MQA to XDP-100R DAC for hardware unfold. I have no clue how to do it. For my X3 2nd gen, I download Fiio driver and do 96k/24bit MQA w/o problem. I also want to do foobar to XDP-100R but can't see any possibility.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,485 of 1,830
I just love the thinness of this player. I have ordered a case from Japan almost 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting:clown:
I want to get the pioneer portable amp but it looks like it has many controls which I don't like.
Anyone have the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back