Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Jan 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,396 of 1,830
What microsd cards are users finding work well?  I see Sandisk Ultra and Ultra Plus 200gb cards around the same price - oddly the Ultra seems to have slightly faster read/write speeds... is it worth dropping to 128 (due to budget) but looking at a Sandisk Extreme/Plus/Pro?

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #1,398 of 1,830
So finally Tidal has MQA! But, only on the desktop app and not through mobile app. I'm happy they finally implemented MQA but i bought the pioneer for MQA. Here's hoping for MQA mobile app in the near future. Boy, does MQA sound awesome.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #1,399 of 1,830
@HesNot, I got my 100R a few days ago and I am using a Sandisk Ultra 200GB ($49.99 on amazon...at least it was before the holidays, so I am sure they will be at this price eventually) and it seems to be working rather well, I have had no issues so far.

General thoughts so far:
1.  When I first got it, I charged it up from the 52% when I got it.  I played around with it on Monday night and I could almost watch the battery drain...I thought here we go.  Reading though the Cayin i5 thread (it took me weeks to decide between the 100r and the i5), I saw that when people were having issues with the battery, AndyKong continually suggested draining the battery dead, then charging it full to 100%.  So I did this yesterday and today at work I had the player on the whole day (9 hours) and probably played about 4-5 hours of music (mainly 24/96 flac files), screen was off most of the time....the battery life is still at 71%.  So I am relieved.  

2.  Along with doing the drain the battery and fully recharge exercise, I also disabled just about every app on the player...this is OK to do...you are not deleting the apps and you can always re-enable them later.  

3.  I have been using the stock music app for now, but I downloaded poweramp and a few others that I have for my phone and tablet.  I think the Music app uses a lot more system resources that poweramp, so it might start extra services, which will drain the battery more. 

4.  As far as sound goes.  It sounds really good with my flc8s IEMs, not as good with my Momentums.  I have not done any kind of conscious comparison with my Cayin n5, but from memory, I would say the 100R has less bass then the n5 (no EQ used).  But in general, I am happy with how it sounds.  I also have not done any comparison across music apps yet. 

5. One problem I have is with volume control.  Tomorrow when I am playing around with it, I will have to make sure I know what I am talking about, but it seems like with the Music app, you have to have the volume set to 90 to get a nice comfortable volume.  I think I switched to poweramp for a while and you only needed the  volume set to 13 or so...the only problem was it was almost too loud and you turn it down and the volume did not reduce all that much until you hit 0 and the volume goes away completely.  I checked the gain setting (in the DAP's settings, not the Music app settings) and it was at high (not sure if this is the default or I changed it at some point during my playing around phase), so I changed it to Low1, and the volume was better at around 13 and it seemed to control better (but this might have still been with poweramp)...but again, I need to look into this some more.  

Questions for all the experts:
1. Does anyone know how to lock out the volume knob?  I can that if you have it in your pocket, it would be very easy for the knob to get turned one way or the other, which would cause the volume to be all over the place.  So it would be nice to have a way to lock out the knob, so the player basically ignores it if it turns...I have searched too hard yet.  

2.  Does anyone know how to kill the Google Services if possible?  I have found how to do it for phones and I think tablets, but not on this particular device.

3.  Does anyone know what SVI Settings app is?  Furthermore, is there a way to kill it. 

4.  Has anyone found a case other than the ones that are being sold from Japan yet?  For a screen this big, I wouldn't mind some kind of flip case that actually covers the screen.  

5.  On some albums, when I am playing them, they will say 44.1Khz FLAC/48Khz PCM, is there some kind of conversion or upsampling going on here?  All the settings I see, they relate PCM to DSD files and I have all upsampling turned off, I believe.  

So, I have a few more weeks to decide if I am going to keep it or not...one problem I am going to have shortly is that I just ordered a balanced cable for the flc8s and this player doesn't have balanced output...and it doesn't sound all that great with the Momentums, these are my main listening apparatus at this point..and I don't want to be continually changing the cables on the flcs.  

Oh well, I am enjoying playing around with it so far, it is a fun little device.  

Thanks,
Z

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,400 of 1,830
@ montmozart ,

I had the same issue with the volume control on Poweramp, you need to disable the DVC on Poweramp, this link describes the volume situation and how to disable, that worked out for me.

http://support.powerampapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/323521-volume-issues

I am anxious to hear some other responses from your questions.

James

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,401 of 1,830
  Questions for all the experts:
1. Does anyone know how to lock out the volume knob?  I can that if you have it in your pocket, it would be very easy for the knob to get turned one way or the other, which would cause the volume to be all over the place.  So it would be nice to have a way to lock out the knob, so the player basically ignores it if it turns...I have searched too hard yet.  
..... 4.  Has anyone found a case other than the ones that are being sold from Japan yet?  For a screen this big, I wouldn't mind some kind of flip case that actually covers the screen.  

1. There is indeed a disable-volume-knob-when-locked facility in the Android setttings. Can't remember exactly where it is or what it is called as I don't have my device to hand, but it should be pretty obvious. Audio settings?

4. I posted here with details and pictures of a horizontally-flipping universal case I'd found which worked quite well. http://www.head-fi.org/t/779839/pioneers-first-dap-the-xdp-100r-announced-in-ifa/900#post_12601907 However I eventually found it a little awkward to use with the flap getting in the way of viewing and swiping the screen and using the volume knob, I would much prefer a vertically-flipping case (flap flips up) like I have for my phone, but these sorts of cases are very hard to come by. And because I had to rip out the plastic corner grips, containing magnets, in order to fit the XDP-100R in, there was no way to securely fasten the cover (although in practice this wasn't much of a problem, it never exposed the screen accidentally, just a little "untidy" that's all). I then found another case  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016RWKH3E/ which was similar but had a magnetically-fastening strap to hold the cover closed, but in practice the case didn't have a deep enough spine for the XDP-100R and the strap didn't quite fasten, probably a couple of millimetres out.  So I've eventually bought one of the official Pioneer leather cases which I'm very pleased with - it's a lot smarter than pictures make out and is a very very good fit but obviously doesn't have a cover to protect the screen and no credit card-sized slots to put things in (screen cloths for example, or emergency contact information, like I like to do with my phone).  I also bought a "hybrid glass" screen protector that I posted about here http://www.head-fi.org/t/779839/pioneers-first-dap-the-xdp-100r-announced-in-ifa/1155#post_12864554 and, while this probaly wouldn't survive a direct hit or a drop onto something sharp, together with the raised perimeter of the leather case, the screen is much better protected than it would be normally.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,402 of 1,830
Has anyone successfully connect the XDP to a Mac to use it as the audio output source so you can utilize the XDP DAC rather than the internal Macbook DAC?  I'd like to try Tidal MQA but maximize the potential through the Pioneer DAC... but cannot seem to get the Mac to recognize it as a USB connected device.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,403 of 1,830
  Has anyone successfully connect the XDP to a Mac to use it as the audio output source so you can utilize the XDP DAC rather than the internal Macbook DAC?  I'd like to try Tidal MQA but maximize the potential through the Pioneer DAC... but cannot seem to get the Mac to recognize it as a USB connected device.

Your dap doesn't support usb dac, so You can't do that.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,404 of 1,830
Hi, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Pioneer XDP-100R
I'm not going to do balanced headphones so I read it should be the same as the onkyo dp-x1 right?
I listen to mostly classic rock like Pink Floyd, The Doors, Supertranp all hd tracks etc.
What is a good matching headphone for my music and this dap?
Back in the day I used to have Grados rs1e with ifi micro idsd playing from my 6s+ but they were uncomfortable and they fatigued my ears a lot, like the upper mids and highs were to much...
I had the shure se425 too but to me they had no highs or enough bass, they were just too flat.
Thank you!

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #1,407 of 1,830
I suddenly can't copy files from Windows over to the XDP. Using Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring Preview Build 15007. When XDP is connected via USB I can see the XDP including internal drive plus SD1 & SD2. I can create new folders on the SD cards. However when I go copy music files (FLAC or MP3) from computer/NAS to XDP there is an audible 'ding' and nothing happens, no message or anything.

Anyone else come across this?

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,408 of 1,830
So I just picked up this pioneer dap mainly due to the android interface, large storage and supposedly good battery life. I have a question for everyone. Is it possible to add 2 x 200gb micro sd cards and then RAID them in some way? I was hoping that this player could combine the storage (much like HTC 10) together to give me 432gb total. That way it would make transferring files much easier rather than splitting my collection between the two cards. 

Any information would be great. 

Also I purchased a glass screen protector designed for the HTC One M7 and it fits perfectly. It doesn't cover then entire front, but about 80% of it. It does cover the entire touchscreen though which is what I cared about. I also purchased a regular screen protector to apply on the back to prevent scratches. I want the OEM case but it's only available in japan and it's a little overpriced in my opinion. 

Thanks guys. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,409 of 1,830
Hi! Got my xdp yesterday and it looks really nice.
Can someone point me towards what are the first steps I should do?
Like removing or installing different apps?
Best settings?
Use built-in player or different one?
Should I root or not?
Is there a 101 section here?
Thanks!

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #1,410 of 1,830
@PabloSRT8

I don't remember seeing a start up guide or anything like that, but I can tell you what I did to both the 100R and X1 and I have had great battery life...I would say I just played over 12 hours of music on my X1 on one charge.

1.  Charge the unit to 100%
2.  Get some music on your player and use the stock player so you can start enjoying your new player.
3.  Start disabling every single app that you don't need.  Keep the Google Play Store so you an download other players if you want. 
4. Go through the settings and make sure Auto-sync is turned off (actually you might want to do this first).  I believe this is in the app's setting (make sure you do this in every music playing app, you can always manually run the sync)
5.  Check the services that are running...try disabling as many of these as you can...I wouldn't goof around with any of the system services (the ones with the android character)...also there are a handful of services that you won't be able to disable.  Also if you see some services that are running that you don't think you need, sometimes it will give a hint to an app is running that you don't need.  The stock player MIGHT drain the battery a bit quicker than an app like poweramp because it seems to need more system resources for some reason. But I can't prove this.  
6.  On my DP-x1, I actually disabled the virtual keyboard accidentally...so that was bad, so I had to start restarting apps/services until it came back...once I found the one that restarted the keyboard, I turned the other ones back off.  
7.  You can download other players if you want, I have used poweramp, seems pretty good.  I don't know if it is just me or not, but the stock payer might sound a bit better than poweramp...but I think it might have just been the particular album (although it was a 24/96 flac, but I don't think it was the greatest recording).  
8.  While you are doing this, let the player drain all the down to 0%...actually let itself turn off because of no battery juice left.
9.  Re-charge the player all the way back up to 100% and you should be good to.

Enjoy your player. 
Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back