Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Jan 4, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #496 of 1,830
I just spent a couple of hours with the XDP-100, after returning the X7 and I must say first impressions are very positive. Build is great although not to the insane level of the ZX2 it's better than the X7 no doubt. I'll soon remove the annoying bumper. I would have liked the volume knob to have a tad more resistance (but I do prefer this to buttons), luckily the settings offer to turn it off when the screen is off if need be as it turns freely when you put it out/in a pocket. Of course no EMI with wifi on (looking at you, X7) and SD card performance is flawless (again the X7...). Strangely formatting to FAT32 on my mac, the SD was unrecognized... the XDP appears to format to extFat by default.

I went for the XDP-100 mainly as a transport for the Mojo, but I didn't expect a SQ that would be competitive against my good old ZX2. From first impressions, I like the sound signature very much, in fact better than the X7 and even the ZX2. I was a bit wary of the XDP being a tad bright from what some have reported but with Earsonics S-EM9 no hint of brightness, quite the contrary it's rather a smooth, liquid and very pleasing sound with a disctinct warmth I do like a lot. It's less detailed than the ZX2 from what I can gather, but I don't know if burn in will change the SQ as much as the ZX2. I don't mind that much as the Mojo will provide more than the ZX2 anyway. One thing that I had read and doesn't make a lot of sense (75mW should be 5 times ZX2's power) is that I don't get more volume than the ZX2, and that's on high gain (which is set by default, strange...). I am talking with 3rd party apps but also the native player, I am running average at 120 out of 160 with the S-EM9. I'll check if rooting can fix that. I'll also check if any Pioneer apps can be killed or disabled like on the ZX2, which helped a lot.

I did test the Mojo and I didn't even have to do anything just plug it to USB with my OTG cable and there it was even with Tidal. I was surprised to have to push the volume to max though as other devices don't give me any option. As some have reported, there is some kind of upsampling happening as the Mojo shines a blue light (192Khz) even with Tidal.... It doesn't seem to affect SQ from what I can tell but I'd like to be able to control that and didn't find any setting. Now I am wondering if any upsampling happens with 3rd party apps like Tidal with the headphone out.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #498 of 1,830
Glad to hear you like the Pioneer. Maybe my mojo is faulty? Otg seems very hit and miss. Mainly miss.

Thanks!
Right now I am copying my 24bit/96Khz albums to second SD to get a deeper listen of what it's capable of :)

I am not sure the Mojo is faulty, I mean mine was hit or miss before I used the right cable... I think maybe USB OTG cable standards are too weak. I wish I knew what comes into play here. I don't think the Pioneer is at fault.

@TokenGesture Pricey but I picked up the Forza Audio Works android LOD and I can vouch it works superbly with Mojo / XDP 100

When using the Music app I have a popup recognizing the Mojo and informing me of supported sample rate. Adjusting the settings of the app allows to turn off the upsampling, need to untick "DSP function". This doesn't work with 3rd party app, still in 192Khz no matter what setting you choose (disabling upsampling or even limiting to 96Khz doesn't work in 3rd party app). Same goes for the setting to disable setting the volume when USB is plugged. It doesn't work with third party I have to push volume to max. I experienced some clipping when at 160 I had to turn it down to 150.

Pioneer needs to work on system wide settings that get us full control.

Edit : The volume is really not even as loud as the EU ZX2 on the XDP 100, that's really a big downer... May have to root it...

I emailed pioneer uk about the low volume of the xdp100r and this is the reply I got:

Hello Mr Abbas.

Thank you for your email enquiry.

This is the specification of the product in that our player conforms with
European Regulation standards in terms of volume output whereas we are
aware there are other players on the market that do not.

You can raise the EQ or turn off the limiter within the settings or use a
headphone amp such as the Pioneer U-05 to increase the volume levels.

Definitely not a satisfactory answer... I'll be looking at config files see if it can't be worked around...

Edit : I did some more listening, the Pioneer is short to drive the Z7, strangely enough contrary to the S-EM9 there was some treble harshness(not with all tracks though) all the more suprising that the Z7 is very smooth and laid back and never exhibited this with any source. 

The digital filter tweak in the settings don't change much to the sound that I can tell so I am keeping it on default "Sharp".

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #499 of 1,830
hi
i am absolute beginners :) 
Please be understanding if I write something wrong
.................................................................................
copy music folders from pc using xdaplink 
Link:

http://pioneer-audiovisual.com/support/av_pc/compo/dap/xdp-100r/download/index_EN.php

next go to player menu:

settings - music Folders - sdcard1 - (empty box) - xdaplink - xdp ( you can see all yours folders ) mark only one
back to the player, start listen and create play list - name the same as folder!

and repeat
:)

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #500 of 1,830
  hi
i am absolute beginners :) 
Please be understanding if I write something wrong

What is the problem?

If you did that and the music doesn't show on the DAP go to Music App > Settings try "Sync now" a message will tell you it's syncing wait till it disappears and you should be good.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #501 of 1,830
I have a big issue with the volume out to USB audio with Mojo now and I didn't touch a setting.
Volume is awfully low I need to push it to pink on the Mojo and that's with IEMs :frowning2:

I tried different settings, including in Music > Settings
  1. ticking off "USB Host Audio Driver is valid"
  2. "Enable volume control in the background" both Enabled and Disabled
  3. Reset settings
  4. Uncheck "DSP Function" in Music app general setting
  5. Disable / Enable upsampling

I tried to set the XDP on Line Out.
I also tried to restart the XDP several times.
To no avail.

Nothing works.
This would be a show stopper for me, as I intend to use the XDP as transport for Mojo (like @TokenGesture
@TokenGesture

I'd consider a factory reset but then what would guarantee it will continue to work consistently?
Frustrating...

Edit : I tried some further things and as it turns out it's a Mojo issue.
I tried FiiO E18 with the XDP and volume is alright.
I tried Mojo on my computer and... same volume issue.
Very puzzling... off to the Mojo thread

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #502 of 1,830

I have been trying to figure out where my player was going wrong and I think there are three things now that I can highlight

i) Everything is a lot better, including battery life, when things are left to the stock music player. I have now done a factory restore and deleted Hiby and Poweramp. I will reinstall Qobuz but, unlike Tidal, this does not have a USB prompt and so its better listened to over headphones directly rather than via DAC. If you can live with the volume of a Euro limited XDP then this probably isn't the end of the world

ii) My XDP does not seem to like large HiRes .wav files, so YMMV, but plays these with much greater stability since the restore and with Stand Alone enabled and Auto Library Sync disabled (this seems to be a real battery guzzler)

iii) As mentioned earlier, there seems to be no universal standard for OTG and this can be a complete PITA as it seems to be this factor that was causing most of my problems with playback over my Hugo - this may also be of interest to MoJo users if the same cables are provided as with the Hugo. It could also be that I just got a bag of lemons with my cables. Am considering some shorter solutions, but at least it doesn't take the piss as much as my integration of Hiface2 into the listening chain as I attempted to get SPDIF into my Hugo :)

Without Poweramp, the volume restriction is a major bugbear but this is a great little music player.

Music used to evaluate and troubleshoot:

Maria Callas - Pure 24/96 in FLAC and WAV
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other love songs, Deluxe 24/96 in FLAC and WAV
Opera Duets - Jussi Bjoerling and Robert Merrill WAV CD rip
Almost Famous - OST CD rip ALAC and FLAC
Big Easy - OST CD rip FLAC
Massive Attack - Heligoland CD rip ALAC and FLAC, also iTunes version for Deluxe elements of album
Massive Attack - Blue Lines 24/96 FLAC
Grateful Dead - American Beauty HDCD rip via DBPoweramp FLAC
The Ruts - Grin and Bare it CD rip ALAC track West One Shine on Me 
Norma Waterson - Norma Waterson CD rip FLAC track Black Muddy River

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #503 of 1,830
I have been trying to figure out where my player was going wrong and I think there are three things now that I can highlight

i) Everything is a lot better, including battery life, when things are left to the stock music player. I have now done a factory restore and deleted Hiby and Poweramp. I will reinstall Qobuz but, unlike Tidal, this does not have a USB prompt and so its better listened to over headphones directly rather than via DAC. If you can live with the volume of a Euro limited XDP then this probably isn't the end of the world

ii) My XDP does not seem to like large HiRes .wav files, so YMMV, but plays these with much greater stability since the restore and with Stand Alone enabled and Auto Library Sync disabled (this seems to be a real battery guzzler)

iii) As mentioned earlier, there seems to be no universal standard for OTG and this can be a complete PITA as it seems to be this factor that was causing most of my problems with playback over my Hugo - this may also be of interest to MoJo users if the same cables are provided as with the Hugo. It could also be that I just got a bag of lemons with my cables. Am considering some shorter solutions, but at least it doesn't take the piss as much as my integration of Hiface2 into the listening chain as I attempted to get SPDIF into my Hugo :)

Without Poweramp, the volume restriction is a major bugbear but this is a great little music player.

Music used to evaluate and troubleshoot:

Maria Callas - Pure 24/96 in FLAC and WAV
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other love songs, Deluxe 24/96 in FLAC and WAV
Opera Duets - Jussi Bjoerling and Robert Merrill WAV CD rip
Almost Famous - OST CD rip ALAC and FLAC
Big Easy - OST CD rip FLAC
Massive Attack - Heligoland CD rip ALAC and FLAC, also iTunes version for Deluxe elements of album
Massive Attack - Blue Lines 24/96 FLAC
Grateful Dead - American Beauty HDCD rip via DBPoweramp FLAC
The Ruts - Grin and Bare it CD rip ALAC track West One Shine on Me 
Norma Waterson - Norma Waterson CD rip FLAC track Black Muddy River
keep me updated. :)

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #504 of 1,830
I am thoroughly impressed with my unit.  I just received it in the mail today.  I ordered mine on December 22nd through PriceJapan, and though initially they forgot to ship my unit out, they refunded my shipping costs as an apology, and they ended up shipping it on the 29th.  I live in Canada, so the package arrived very promptly.

I took it out of the box, and was amazed right away.  I initially was going to jump on the Fiio X7 as soon as it came out, but I just happened to stumble on some random French website that compared the X7 to the Pioneer XDP.  I own a Fiio X1, X3 (second gen), and X5 (first gen), and numerous Fiio portable amps, so I like their products.

A few hours of research later, my order was placed for the Pioneer, as I still had doubts about the X7.

I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and go with the X7.  I'm really excited to try this out.
Initial impressions are very promising.  Interface is extremely smooth.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #505 of 1,830
  I am thoroughly impressed with my unit.  I just received it in the mail today.  I ordered mine on December 22nd through PriceJapan, and though initially they forgot to ship my unit out, they refunded my shipping costs as an apology, and they ended up shipping it on the 29th.  I live in Canada, so the package arrived very promptly.

I took it out of the box, and was amazed right away.  I initially was going to jump on the Fiio X7 as soon as it came out, but I just happened to stumble on some random French website that compared the X7 to the Pioneer XDP.  I own a Fiio X1, X3 (second gen), and X5 (first gen), and numerous Fiio portable amps, so I like their products.

A few hours of research later, my order was placed for the Pioneer, as I still had doubts about the X7.

I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and go with the X7.  I'm really excited to try this out.
Initial impressions are very promising.  Interface is extremely smooth.

You may have done the right thing :)
My X7 (most likely) is on its way back in favor XDP-100R ... will let you know as soon as I confirm my decision.

I will list the reasons for my decision either way.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #506 of 1,830
I am about to order one of these, but out of curiosity, why are people buying a $600+ DAP to run through a dedicated amp/dac in the MOJO? why not just use a smartphone that would have a larger battery, better screen, and faster processor, etc as the front end to the chord . ? If all actual sound reproduction is being offloaded to the MOJO, what is the value of the DAP, if you still are carrying around a stack of electronics??

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #507 of 1,830
I am about to order one of these, but out of curiosity, why are people buying a $600+ DAP to run through a dedicated amp/dac in the MOJO? why not just use a smartphone that would have a larger battery, better screen, and faster processor, etc as the front end to the chord . ? If all actual sound reproduction is being offloaded to the MOJO, what is the value of the DAP, if you still are carrying around a stack of electronics??

This is also something that has made me stop and question myself. All the reviews state that the DAC on the XDP-100R is quite good, so I could see someone using a very nice portable amp with it (which is what I would do), but not a portable DAC. In my opinion the Mojo has a much better DAC than headphone amp, so what is the point?

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #508 of 1,830

This is also something that has made me stop and question myself. All the reviews state that the DAC on the XDP-100R is quite good, so I could see someone using a very nice portable amp with it (which is what I would do), but not a portable DAC. In my opinion the Mojo has a much better DAC than headphone amp, so what is the point?

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Having experience with the XDP-100R and the Mojo (as well as many other bits of gear) I'd say the following: (all points IMHO of course)
1. The implementation of the DAC in the XDP is better than the amp it is paired with and that when the XDP is stacked with a quality HF amp the SQ is much better (something I showed the Pioneer reps at CanJam/RMAF).
2. The DAC on the Mojo is hard to beat anywhere near its pricepoint, period. Rob's work on the FPGA in the Mojo is in my view one of the greatest values in HF today. 
3. The Mojo also benefits from external amping, although this is icing on the cake, and most important for desktop use where triple stacking (or connecting to a PC) is not a big deal. 
4. XDP + external amp is not as good as the Mojo not amped. I will have to admit that there has been a time lag between my listening to these items, as I heard the XDP a good deal in October, and didn't own the Mojo until a month or so later. However, I've got a pretty experienced ear and made similar comments about the XDP before I even knew about the Mojo. 
5. The XDP would be a fine DAP to act as a transport for the Mojo, and would be a very good stand-alone DAP option if you don't already have a DAP. 
6. If you already have a well-functioning DAP (e.g. an early AK or HiFiMan or such) or a smartphone and plan to always pair it with the Mojo there's no need to step up to the XDP. The XDP's functioning as a transport only doesn't make it worth the money. 

Just my POV, but hope some find it useful. Cheers 

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #509 of 1,830
I have this little pocket rocket of a car which I love, but every now and then, I plug in this little Mojo chip, and it becomes a F1/NASCAR racer. Just like that.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #510 of 1,830
  You may have done the right thing :)
My X7 (most likely) is on its way back in favor XDP-100R ... will let you know as soon as I confirm my decision.

I will list the reasons for my decision either way.

Yep, I returned the X7 due to EMI and I now have an XDP-100, although the X7 sports a "full" ESS9018, my favor goes to the XDP (although the european version is crippled by volume limitations that - crazy as it is with the 2x75mW - don't even sound as loud as my 2x15mW Sony ZX2... I might get a japanese DP-X1 down the line to get the balanced out but right now it's just not available anywhere).

I have this little pocket rocket of a car which I love, but every now and then, I plug in this little Mojo chip, and it becomes a F1/NASCAR racer. Just like that.

+1 I just love the Mojo, although I have to RMA mine due to a very strange issue...

I am thoroughly impressed with my unit. 

One question, as it does not come with volume limitations I'd be curious to know how loud you listen and with which headphones?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back