Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Sep 21, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,186 of 1,830

How do you want me to hear the devices before buying them. Not everyone has that privilege. If I could do so I wouldn't need anybody's advice. I want to clarify that I didn't mean to offend anybody by spreading doubts upon xdp 100r's capacites and advantages. I think that I was misunderstood. In my post I wrote that I need the amp/dac for another dap (my ZX1) that lacks power for my headphones and I also need it for my PC. But since the xdp 100r's dac doesn't support native DSD I thought that it would be a good idea to combine it with that amp/dac, taking advantage thus of the native DSD signal over the USB output of the Pioneer dap. I don't want to start a debate about the pros and cons of the DSD format and I understand that most people don't give a damn for it but I've got a large library on dsf and dff files and when I listen to them I'd rather like to hear the real format. Perhaps I should have explained myself better.
Besides what you say is that a dap must never be coupled with external amps and dacs? Then that's why one can everyday see on Facebook some headfiers boasting on photos about their "stacks" of very expensive daps, amps and dacs but today I've landed on a new planet on which that's heretic.

Some few months ago I considered the option to buy this because it looked really good and there was a great offer for it on Price Japan but I didn't finally settle on it because of its short battery life (4h.). Unfortunately its price has now gone up to roughly twice as much.

I get good battery life out of the pioneer. I am not saying a dap sound never be coupled with an amp or a dac, but if you are spending this much on a dap as a transport there are far cheaper options. If you have headphones the pioneer can not push, that is a different matter. If for the majority of my listening I used my iems and once and a while I had a 600Ω I wanted to use I would hook up an amp. 

What we were getting at was it was appearing you were planing on bypassing all the features except the storage before you even had possession or heard the player. We were saying if it was not right for you where you needed a different dac then why buy the Pioneer in the first place.

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,187 of 1,830

I get good battery life out of the pioneer. I am not saying a dap sound never be coupled with an amp or a dac, but if you are spending this much on a dap as a transport there are far cheaper options. If you have headphones the pioneer can not push, that is a different matter. If for the majority of my listening I used my iems and once and a while I had a 600Ω I wanted to use I would hook up an amp.

What we were getting at was it was appearing you were planing on bypassing all the features except the storage before you even had possession or heard the player. We were saying if it was not right for you where you needed a different dac then why buy the Pioneer in the first place.

Well, I should have clarified that the amps and dacs I mentioned were actually for my ZX1 which I'm happy with but that's gone short of storage the reason why I'm looking also for another dap to alternate but I don't reject the chance to couple also the new amp/dac I buy with the xdp-100r from time to time but it didn't occurred to me to use it as a transport, that is crazy, it's too good for that. I like it more than the DP-X1, it has all the good things of the latter for less money and I don't need a balanced output.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #1,188 of 1,830
Well, I should have clarified that the amps and dacs I mentioned were actually for my ZX1 which I'm happy with but that's gone short of storage the reason why I'm looking also for another dap to alternate but I don't reject the chance to couple also the new amp/dac I buy with the xdp-100r from time to time but it didn't occurred to me to use it as a transport, that is crazy, it's too good for that. I like it more than the DP-X1, it has all the good things of the latter for less money and I don't need a balanced output.

I sincerely apologise if it appeared that I was having a go at you.
You did ask specifically for recommendations for Dac/amps for the Pioneer. I didn't pick up the fact that you needed an amp for your other DAPs.
My reply was an expression of exasperation with the common theme on HeadFi that it is necessary to spend money on heaps of equipment that are a PITA to carry around and complicate the process of enjoying a bit of music beyond belief!

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #1,189 of 1,830
I sincerely apologise if it appeared that I was having a go at you.
You did ask specifically for recommendations for Dac/amps for the Pioneer. I didn't pick up the fact that you needed an amp for your other DAPs.
My reply was an expression of exasperation with the common theme on HeadFi that it is necessary to spend money on heaps of equipment that are a PITA to carry around and complicate the process of enjoying a bit of music beyond belief!

You don't have to apologize, I should have explained better what I wanted to say. Maybe this wasn't the appropriate thread to asking about amps and dacs but I didn't know exactly where to ask about this subject. I agree what you say, one can see everyday on HeadFi and Facebook some guys showing in photos their 1000 USD/euro or over daps connected to no less expensive amps and dacs through a few $100's cables and they present them as their portable equipment to go to work or on travel. It seems that they want to buy sound quality by weight as if it were fruit.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,190 of 1,830
You don't have to apologize, I should have explained better what I wanted to say. Maybe this wasn't the appropriate thread to asking about amps and dacs but I didn't know exactly where to ask about this subject. I agree what you say, one can see everyday on HeadFi and Facebook some guys showing in photos their 1000 USD/euro or over daps connected to no less expensive amps and dacs through a few $100's cables and they present them as their portable equipment to go to work or on travel. It seems that they want to buy sound quality by weight as if it were fruit.

It seems to me that listening to music through headphones is always going to be a compromise. Essentially a small scale representation of a large scale event. People spend a lot of money in denial of that fact.
Anyway. Back on topic!
When assembling a portable set up simplicity is key for me.
Maybe you could reconsider your choice of headphone for that purpose and use something that doesn't require an amp?

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,191 of 1,830
It seems to me that listening to music through headphones is always going to be a compromise. Essentially a small scale representation of a large scale event. People spend a lot of money in denial of that fact.
Anyway. Back on topic!
When assembling a portable set up simplicity is key for me.
Maybe you could reconsider your choice of headphone for that purpose and use something that doesn't require an amp?

Fidelio X2 is a good headset for the xdp-100r? What other options can you suggest me?

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,192 of 1,830
Fidelio X2 is a good headset for the xdp-100r? What other options can you suggest me?

For portable I'm a committed CIEM fan.
There are many closed full size options. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could advise.
I've heard the Sennheiser Momentum and thought it was pretty good.
There was a closed back Beyerdynamic that was available in a 32ohmn version that was nice iirc.
There really is no substitute for trying before you buy. Both for comfort and SQ.
At worst buying mail order gives you the opportunity to return. Or a friendly local dealer can be a great help.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,193 of 1,830
For portable I'm a committed CIEM fan.
There are many closed full size options. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could advise.
I've heard the Sennheiser Momentum and thought it was pretty good.
There was a closed back Beyerdynamic that was available in a 32ohmn version that was nice iirc.
There really is no substitute for trying before you buy. Both for comfort and SQ.
At worst buying mail order gives you the opportunity to return. Or a friendly local dealer can be a great help.

Well, I use the X2 at home, for portable use I'd have to look for another headset.

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,194 of 1,830
One last begging post...i have been on the phone with pioneer and onkyo, bounced back and forth department to department for three hours today. Whew, about the worst tech support for what seems to be an unknown device to tech support staff.

Can someone, please setup adb and pull a stock backup rom and post it to drive or any other file host?

Or can someone help me find a pioneer support forum, or contact tech person that has any idea that the xdp100r actually exists. All the techs i spoke basically acted as if they could not even find the device in their computer database.

Or where can i mail the device in to get it fixed.... this is beyond frustrating. It was my mistake, but does this device have no backing from pioneer at all?

Ive had better tech response on a $300 onkyo receiver.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,196 of 1,830
Seriously considering on purchasing this but wanted to know...

when the XDP-100R is in your pocket, do you have any issues with volume adjusting on its own from your leg/pants movement? I plan to use mine mostly in the gym and during air travel.

Also, should I order the regular version or the japan import model? Whats the difference?

Sorry if these questions have been answered on previous pages

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #1,197 of 1,830
So at this stage is this player still worth considering?  It's had a price drop on amazon in the uk for £399 which equates to $512.00

Have most of the bugs been ironed out?  As long as gapless works properly and the volume is decent for the eu version that's all I really mind.

Thanks

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #1,198 of 1,830
  So at this stage is this player still worth considering?  It's had a price drop on amazon in the uk for £399 which equates to $512.00

Have most of the bugs been ironed out?  As long as gapless works properly and the volume is decent for the eu version that's all I really mind.

Thanks

Yup i love my one! The volume was sorted a while back. We dropped the price to £399 too #justsaying :)

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,199 of 1,830

Yup i love my one! The volume was sorted a while back. We dropped the price to £399 too #justsaying :)

Just seems strange that the pioneer being a bit cheaper (even before the price drops) doesn't get as much traction as the onkyo's.  Guessing that's to do with the balanced output but still.

Does gapless work properly on the pioneer?  Getting tired of the fruit based brand and want a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back