Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Sep 15, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,171 of 1,830
Yep and some of his information is quite incorrect such as the amount of memory the sd slots can hold or what the bumpers are actually for. I think it is far from an unbiased review and he must have girlie hands if the player is too large. My standard s7 though thinner is larger than the pioneer with the bumpers. Imagine the larger phones. I also have to question his ears. He says that the eq does not really make a difference. I notice a huge difference immediately when I play around with the eq.

Yeah, I agree with you, definitively a biased review there. When you shoot in all directions something is wrong...

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #1,172 of 1,830
  Just to let you know, I think this reviewer is pi$$ed with Pioneer for some reason:

http://headfonics.com/2016/09/the-xdp-100r-dap-by-pioneer/

This reviewer gave Plenue D the score 8.6 when the player was unable to play gapless flac properly (today seems it can) and the review omits that fact.
IMHO a good DAP must be able to play gapless without issues.
So this kind of reviews to me are worthless.
It's better to listen good music with XDP and relax!

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,175 of 1,830
  looks like identical specs to Onkyo DP-X1, except 4 gain vs 3. almost seems like a rebadge of DP-X1.

Thats ok as its the same msrp as the dp-x1 but looks better.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,177 of 1,830
Anyone happen to have a backup of the stock rom, for use in stock recovery? I just tried to factory reset mine ( in settings) and now all it does is bootloop to "starting apps". I can boot to stock recovery, wipe/reset, wipe cache...but it stops the boot at the same point "starting apps" or "finalizing boot". I emailed pioneer, and i hope they can send me a link, but they are rather slow to respond, so i was hoping someone had a copy they want to share.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #1,178 of 1,830
I'm planning to buy the xdp-100r and I'm looking for an amp/dac to enhance this and other daps I have. I've thought about the ifi micro iDSD for it's native DSD support but I've got some doubts; won't I be spending more than necessary since the nano iDSD may supply all the power I need? Is it better to spend more on the dap or on the amp/dac? Buy an expensive amp/dac or a cheap one? I also considered the micro iDAC2, for being halfway between nano and micro iDSD until I found out that it has no battery. Can anyone advise me on these devices or suggest me any alternative amps and dacs of any brand for the xdp 100r?

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,179 of 1,830
I'm planning to buy the xdp-100r and I'm looking for an amp/dac to enhance this and other daps I have. I've thought about the ifi micro iDSD for it's native DSD support but I've got some doubts; won't I be spending more than necessary since the nano iDSD may supply all the power I need? Is it better to spend more on the dap or on the amp/dac? Buy an expensive amp/dac or a cheap one? I also considered the micro iDAC2, for being halfway between nano and micro iDSD until I found out that it has no battery. Can anyone advise me on these devices or suggest me any alternative amps and dacs of any brand for the xdp 100r?

You have not even heard it yet and you are planning on on getting an amp or just turning it into a transport with an amp/dac combo?

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,180 of 1,830

Why not consider the pioneer Xpa-700

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,181 of 1,830

You have not even heard it yet and you are planning on on getting an amp or just turning it into a transport with an amp/dac combo?

I just don't get it. Rather than reduce a dap to transport only and lug a load of gear around why not find a dap who's sound you like?!

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,182 of 1,830
I just don't get it. Rather than reduce a dap to transport only and lug a load of gear around why not find a dap who's sound you like?!

I am right with you there brother. I dont understand it either. That was the whole reason for getting the pioneer. I wanted to get away from the stacks. And not even owning it yet and planning on buying an amp or a dac to bypass everything in the pioneer is a waste. You should just look at a different dap that you like the sound, or find a cheaper solution to use as a transport.

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #1,183 of 1,830
Hi all, can anyone tell me if the XDP is a discernible upgrade SQ terms from the Ibasso Dx80? Has anyone got any experience of these in comparison - bass, middle, soundstage, spacing, depth, detail etc? Any reflections welcome. 

Thanks. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,184 of 1,830
  I'm planning to buy the xdp-100r and I'm looking for an amp/dac to enhance this ...

I have many amp/dac units in my collection (see sig). Fwiw, I find that the XDP-100r doesn't really require a separate dac, it's fine quality without. Unless you're looking for more "oomph" and/or have big headphones to get the audio thru.
Heck, even my Mojo sits in a drawer most of the time and only gets used when I'm on the go with a phone as my only audio source. The Pioneer is a capable device all on its lonesome, imo.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,185 of 1,830

I am right with you there brother. I dont understand it either. That was the whole reason for getting the pioneer. I wanted to get away from the stacks. And not even owning it yet and planning on buying an amp or a dac to bypass everything in the pioneer is a waste. You should just look at a different dap that you like the sound, or find a cheaper solution to use as a transport.

How do you want me to hear the devices before buying them. Not everyone has that privilege. If I could do so I wouldn't need anybody's advice. I want to clarify that I didn't mean to offend anybody by spreading doubts upon xdp 100r's capacites and advantages. I think that I was misunderstood. In my post I wrote that I need the amp/dac for another dap (my ZX1) that lacks power for my headphones and I also need it for my PC. But since the xdp 100r's dac doesn't support native DSD I thought that it would be a good idea to combine it with that amp/dac, taking advantage thus of the native DSD signal over the USB output of the Pioneer dap. I don't want to start a debate about the pros and cons of the DSD format and I understand that most people don't give a damn for it but I've got a large library on dsf and dff files and when I listen to them I'd rather like to hear the real format. Perhaps I should have explained myself better.
Besides what you say is that a dap must never be coupled with external amps and dacs? Then that's why one can everyday see on Facebook some headfiers boasting on photos about their "stacks" of very expensive daps, amps and dacs but today it seems that I've landed on a new planet on which that's heretic.
Why not consider the pioneer Xpa-700

Some few months ago I considered the option to buy this because it looked really good and there was a great offer for it on Price Japan but I didn't finally settle on it because of its short battery life (4h.). Unfortunately its price has now gone up to roughly twice as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back