Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,206 of 2,535
Yes I will admit coming from a 100% reliable (admittedly old) iPod Classic to the 300R I was a little concerned I would have issues but I've had no problems whatsoever. I had more issues trying out a 3rd party player app, so I just went back to the native Pioneer one and I've been fine ever since.

Really growing to love the player now and I listen to it all day long (when work permits! :) ) I was listening to some MQA albums last night. If the recording is good this player just shines.

With regards to the headphone jack. I've had mine for over a year now and as long as you are careful, you'll be fine. I think the main danger is just having any sort of plug that's too large. So a large headphone plug will act too much like a giant lever and break it easily. I would never risk carrying the player in a jean pocket for example.

I've had friends who've broken headphone jacks on iPhones, iPods, and various makes of tablets so it's not an issue unique to the Pioneer. Not quite the same but I would imagine the same thing could happen to the charging port if you were accidently too rough with it or accidently flexed the plug whilst charging, etc. One feature that I would have changed really. USB C for me just feels sturdier.

I suppose it's just the way I am but I've always been very careful with what I own, I treat this player gently though. I suppose partly because of how much it cost more than anything else.

Admittedly though I'm not sure how it would cope in the gym (where I still use the Classic), mind you it's not designed for that purpose; it's too large.

You are allright, but I still feeling that the 3.5 and 2.5 have a little space between the jack and the case itself, so there is a little bit movement that I imagine causes the problem.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #2,207 of 2,535
Do you have the link of one 90s record that you feel mediocre? Just to compare.
Thanks!
Search for 90s techno music, the popular bands of those years and start a radio artist, e.g. Snap, 2Unlimited, Technotronic, Haddaway, Real McCoy, and you'll hear it. Some are acceptable but they seem like upsampled mp3s or tape recordings.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,210 of 2,535
I'm curious if there is a firmware update that bumps these to APTX-HD. Anyone?

No it’s APTX only. I think to enable it to be APTX-HD you would need a different chipset inside the player.

However it’s no big deal. There is still very little that’s APTX-HD equiped. What is around tends to be pretty expensive anyway.

I do have a pair of good Bluetooth headphones but when I want to take full advantage of HD I listen direct with my AKG’s.

Admittedly there are some players that have the APTX-HD on them but I find it interesting that there isn’t as many as I would have thought. Maybe the HD chipset uses more power and some manufactures of DAP’s don’t want to risk it. Only guessing though.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #2,211 of 2,535
My AK Kann has APTX-HD. I don't know what other AK players do. I use the Sony WH-1000XM3 which also has APTX-HD. I've never done a side by side comparison with my Pioneer to see how much of a difference there is, however. I could see why there is less interest in the extra heat and power consumption.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #2,212 of 2,535
Yes I will admit coming from a 100% reliable (admittedly old) iPod Classic to the 300R I was a little concerned I would have issues but I've had no problems whatsoever. I had more issues trying out a 3rd party player app, so I just went back to the native Pioneer one and I've been fine ever since.

Really growing to love the player now and I listen to it all day long (when work permits! :) ) I was listening to some MQA albums last night. If the recording is good this player just shines.

With regards to the headphone jack. I've had mine for over a year now and as long as you are careful, you'll be fine. I think the main danger is just having any sort of plug that's too large. So a large headphone plug will act too much like a giant lever and break it easily. I would never risk carrying the player in a jean pocket for example.

I've had friends who've broken headphone jacks on iPhones, iPods, and various makes of tablets so it's not an issue unique to the Pioneer. Not quite the same but I would imagine the same thing could happen to the charging port if you were accidently too rough with it or accidently flexed the plug whilst charging, etc. One feature that I would have changed really. USB C for me just feels sturdier.

I suppose it's just the way I am but I've always been very careful with what I own, I treat this player gently though. I suppose partly because of how much it cost more than anything else.

Admittedly though I'm not sure how it would cope in the gym (where I still use the Classic), mind you it's not designed for that purpose; it's too large.

I'm of the same mind as you about using the 300R as a strictly 'at home/office' device, rather than on the go.

What you say about plugs and all the reports of the jack being fragile has me wondering if I should follow up on what SteveOliver suggested about getting balanced cables with a native 2.5mm plug, something along the lines of these from Corpse Cable for my 660S. The generic $20 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter I bought off Amazon does seem a bit tight/stiff. Whether I want to drop another $80 on this is another question though...

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #2,213 of 2,535
My AK Kann has APTX-HD. I don't know what other AK players do. I use the Sony WH-1000XM3 which also has APTX-HD. I've never done a side by side comparison with my Pioneer to see how much of a difference there is, however. I could see why there is less interest in the extra heat and power consumption.

I think that between APTX HD and APTX is not a big difference, maybe you will find more detail between APTX and LDAC considering that your 1000xm3 have that option.,

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #2,214 of 2,535
My USB connector is it out order, I can't either charge nor transfer data.
The unit is out of warranty :frowning2:
Is there a way to repair this, did someone try ?

You can take it to any independently owned "cell phone rescue" store in your city and have them re-solder the USB Jack.

It's a super common cell phone repair, so they can even replace the jack if necessary.

The screen is stuck on with double sided tape, and inside there are a couple circuit boards and the battery.

The tech will warm the screen with a hot air gun, then lift it out with a suction cup.

If your battery is weak, the tech can replace it at the same time with a slightly larger one for ~$25, since he's already got the case open.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #2,215 of 2,535

Yes I agree with you in that it would have been nice to have that chipset in the player. I did wonder afterwards if it was purely a question of timing and when the player was released. I think APTX-HD had only just been mentioned when the 300R was unveiled, otherwise maybe it might have been fitted.

I think what surprised me (as I mentioned previously) was the lack of support for APTX-HD at the moment. I think I only found maybe two or three headphones that supported it, the only main one I found was the Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT and it's cousin. Again though very expensive, and I have read very mixed reviews about their reliability, background noise on the connection and so on.

I only found two amps that supported APTX-HD and one or two Bluetooth receivers that supported it.

One recent addition was this cable by Shure. It would fit my AKG's so I may consider it for Bluetooth "freedom" but again at £150 do you want to spend that sort of cash. http://www.shure.com/americas/produ...tion-bluetooth-5-earphone-communication-cable

So there are APTX-HD products around but they are still quite rare and can be pricey. Which is interesting as it's been around for a while now. I would be buying them purely for planning ahead/compatibility in the future I suppose.

As mentioned above by someone else, if you are using the connection outside, I would imagine the extra detail and fidelity would be lost in the ambient noise around you. Different at home of course.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #2,216 of 2,535
I'm of the same mind as you about using the 300R as a strictly 'at home/office' device, rather than on the go.

What you say about plugs and all the reports of the jack being fragile has me wondering if I should follow up on what SteveOliver suggested about getting balanced cables with a native 2.5mm plug, something along the lines of these from Corpse Cable for my 660S. The generic $20 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter I bought off Amazon does seem a bit tight/stiff. Whether I want to drop another $80 on this is another question though...

Don't know if this would help? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Balanced...036857?hash=item36493e0b39:g:lNQAAOSwXNdcf545

I found this company as well, reasonably priced. https://oidiosound.co.uk/sennheiser-hd-092885-balanced.html

I was trying to find you something with a right angle plug on but this was the nearest I could get.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,217 of 2,535
Don't know if this would help? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Balanced...036857?hash=item36493e0b39:g:lNQAAOSwXNdcf545

I found this company as well, reasonably priced. https://oidiosound.co.uk/sennheiser-hd-092885-balanced.html

I was trying to find you something with a right angle plug on but this was the nearest I could get.

Thanks very much for these links. That 2.5mm cable from Oidio migth be the ticket -- looks like they come in around $54USD vs. the $80 from Corpse Cable.

Edit -- with shipping to US looks like it's closer to $67...

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2,218 of 2,535
i've been trying to figure out how to get AptX HD and LDAC support for this device but havent had luck. It uses a pretty old Android OS so that is the biggest challenge. I'm considering trying to port a newer android over to it, but not sure how to go about it with the custom audio packages on here.

Mar 31, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #2,219 of 2,535
So still in limbo on this. Multiple communications back and forth but no resolution yet.

Another 300r gremlin that I'm wondering if anyone has experienced. My original now broken 300r had no problem identifying and connectin to my 2G and 5g wireless networks. I have another 300r and it only sees my 2g but sees a bunch of other wireless networks in the neighborhood including 5g networks, but it only intermittently see my 5g in the next room and then doesn't stay connected. Thoughts? Suggestions? I've gon into the Advance wireless setting and selected 5g only to try and force it but no luck. My iphone sees all networks sitting right next to the 300r. Anyone think it could be the wireless antenna?

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #2,220 of 2,535
i've been trying to figure out how to get AptX HD and LDAC support for this device but havent had luck. It uses a pretty old Android OS so that is the biggest challenge. I'm considering trying to port a newer android over to it, but not sure how to go about it with the custom audio packages on here.

No point trying I would imagine. AptX HD and LDAC use completely different internal hardware. The 300R doesn't have any electrical components inside of it to make compatible with either of these technologies.

Ok, you may be able to install some sort of driver that might allow the two systems to talk to one another but it' won't be in HD or LDAC. It will just be a standard Aptx stream. So you may as well just stick with what it comes with :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back