Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Mar 20, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #2,176 of 2,535
Hi all -- first-time poster here, appreciate any advice you can give. I did search this forum for an answer to my question, but didn't find anything definitive -- apologies if I overlooked something obvious.

I just purchased the XDP-300R. I tried it out last night with balanced output to my Senn 660s. Was really impressed by the clarity and presence of what I heard. Even streaming Tidal, the sound was fantastic.

I have a Dragonfly Red usb dac. My question is: is there any obvious benefit to using the Dragonfly as opposed to using balanced headphones through the 2.5mm jack? My understanding (which may be entirely incorrect!) is that the XDP-300R will only engage both Saber DACs if balance headphones are used. Would using the Dragonfly completely defeat the purpose of having twin internal DACs ? Or, does the Dragonfly enhance what the XDP-300's internal DAC is already giving you?

I know I could just test this out myself, but I don't have a OTG micro USB adapter to connect the XDP-300 to my Dragonfly. I can of course pick one up, but I first wanted to find out if there's any reason to use the Dragonfly with the XDP-300 before buying one.

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #2,178 of 2,535
My USB connector is it out order, I can't either charge nor transfer data.
The unit is out of warranty :frowning2:
Is there a way to repair this, did someone try ?

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #2,179 of 2,535
Hi all -- first-time poster here, appreciate any advice you can give. I did search this forum for an answer to my question, but didn't find anything definitive -- apologies if I overlooked something obvious.

I just purchased the XDP-300R. I tried it out last night with balanced output to my Senn 660s. Was really impressed by the clarity and presence of what I heard. Even streaming Tidal, the sound was fantastic.

I have a Dragonfly Red usb dac. My question is: is there any obvious benefit to using the Dragonfly as opposed to using balanced headphones through the 2.5mm jack? My understanding (which may be entirely incorrect!) is that the XDP-300R will only engage both Saber DACs if balance headphones are used. Would using the Dragonfly completely defeat the purpose of having twin internal DACs ? Or, does the Dragonfly enhance what the XDP-300's internal DAC is already giving you?

I know I could just test this out myself, but I don't have a OTG micro USB adapter to connect the XDP-300 to my Dragonfly. I can of course pick one up, but I first wanted to find out if there's any reason to use the Dragonfly with the XDP-300 before buying one.

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

MORE POWER!!! The DFR will go louder with less sensitive headphones, but if the 300R already drives your 660's OK then that's good.

Personally I would get the OTG cable anyway, they are cheap enough, cos I like to mess around with stuff like this and use the DFR when I fancy a change of sound signature.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #2,180 of 2,535

Did you try another cable? There are pictures in this thread of the disassembly process but you would need to find a suitable micro USB socket and require serious soldering skills to replace it.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,181 of 2,535
Mine just crapped out completely. Sent it to Pioneer repair company and they told me it’s out of warranty. $65 before they’ll look at it further so I paid. I’ll update when I get a call back. I have a feeling they’ll send me an estimate that exceeds the cost of buying a new one and thus are in the easy business of just collecting $65 for a 2 minute phone call

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,182 of 2,535
MORE POWER!!! The DFR will go louder with less sensitive headphones, but if the 300R already drives your 660's OK then that's good.

Personally I would get the OTG cable anyway, they are cheap enough, cos I like to mess around with stuff like this and use the DFR when I fancy a change of sound signature.

Thanks, Steve. I'm pretty happy with the volume as it is, with gain set to High. But I probably will pick up the OTG cable out of curiosity like you suggest.

One other thing -- can you or anyone else recommend a good 4.4mm-->2.5mm balanced cable adapter? I bought a $20 adapter on Amazon -- seems to work fine, though the 2.5 plug was a little loose and was causing static; I tightened it and it seems fine. But I have doubts about these generic components. Anyway, just figured I'd ask.

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,183 of 2,535
Thanks, Steve. I'm pretty happy with the volume as it is, with gain set to High. But I probably will pick up the OTG cable out of curiosity like you suggest.

One other thing -- can you or anyone else recommend a good 4.4mm-->2.5mm balanced cable adapter? I bought a $20 adapter on Amazon -- seems to work fine, though the 2.5 plug was a little loose and was causing static; I tightened it and it seems fine. But I have doubts about these generic components. Anyway, just figured I'd ask.

Personally I wouldn't get an adaptor that adapts 4.4-2.5 that way round, I would imagine it will put a lot of stress on the socket and adaptor itself. I do have an adaptor that has a 4.4mm plug to 2.5mm socket though, those are OK. I would look for a cable that is native 2.5mm

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #2,184 of 2,535

That one should be fine! I have the same one and the 4.4 housing does get loose from time to time and I have to screw it back down tight. Never noticed any static when it was loose though but maybe mine has never gotten as loose as yours. I say keep it though, I've been impressed with mine.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,185 of 2,535
Personally I wouldn't get an adaptor that adapts 4.4-2.5 that way round, I would imagine it will put a lot of stress on the socket and adaptor itself. I do have an adaptor that has a 4.4mm plug to 2.5mm socket though, those are OK. I would look for a cable that is native 2.5mm
This is true! I didn't even use my adapter until I epoxied the jacks! I suggest you do the same cause it does weight a bit.

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,187 of 2,535
Did you try another cable? There are pictures in this thread of the disassembly process but you would need to find a suitable micro USB socket and require serious soldering skills to replace it.
Unfortunately yes, I have already tried swapping cables and chargers, with no result :frowning2:

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #2,188 of 2,535
Mine just crapped out completely. Sent it to Pioneer repair company and they told me it’s out of warranty. $65 before they’ll look at it further so I paid. I’ll update when I get a call back. I have a feeling they’ll send me an estimate that exceeds the cost of buying a new one and thus are in the easy business of just collecting $65 for a 2 minute phone call

So the warranty company sent an email about 2 hours after taking my $65

Good Morning

Please click here to view a printable invoice for the repair to your XDP300RB. Please let us know how you'd like to proceed.

**PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOUR UNIT REQUIRES A PART IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE IN ORDER TO BE REPAIRED. THEREFORE, THIS ESTIMATE IS FOR RETURN SHIPMENT OF THE UNIT AS IS**.

If you would like us to proceed shipment of the unit back to you AS IS, please sign and return a copy of the printed invoice with your reply AND Click here to pay via PayPal.

PLEASE NOTE: By submitting this payment via the PayPal, you are electronically authorizing PanurgyOEM to charge your account $ 27.50.

**WE CANNOT PROCEED THE REPAIR WITHOUT A SIGNED COPY OF THE ATTACHED INVOICE.**

If you are refusing to have the unit shipped back AS IS, please print the invoice, check the appropriate refusal box, sign, and return.

If you request your original box to be returned, but the box is deemed unsafe per Carrier specifications, an additional fee will be charged with material costs to return your original box in a separate shipment.

Thank you,
PanurgyOEM
Customer Service
PanurgyOEM | 701 Ford Road | Rockaway, NJ | 07866
t.973.625.4056 | f.973.625.9489
http://www.panurgyoem.com

Am I to believe that with all of the units out there with this problem these guys didn't know the parts were no longer available? Great business model. Pay some kid $15 an hour to collect $65 for an evaluation you know is going to result in no further expenditure of time. Cost me $20 to ship it to them priority with $500 insurance and they want to charge me $27 to send it back?

Take away - there are no replacement parts to repair the USB port on these units. not sure if that applies to the other Pioneer units and the Onkyo versions but be warned.

Pioneer/Onkyo corporate did step up and promised to make it right. Have to give them credit for offering to do the right thing and stand behind their product. Your mileage may vary. I'll follow up and let you know

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #2,189 of 2,535
So the warranty company sent an email about 2 hours after taking my $65

Good Morning

Please click here to view a printable invoice for the repair to your XDP300RB. Please let us know how you'd like to proceed.

**PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOUR UNIT REQUIRES A PART IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE IN ORDER TO BE REPAIRED. THEREFORE, THIS ESTIMATE IS FOR RETURN SHIPMENT OF THE UNIT AS IS**.

If you would like us to proceed shipment of the unit back to you AS IS, please sign and return a copy of the printed invoice with your reply AND Click here to pay via PayPal.

PLEASE NOTE: By submitting this payment via the PayPal, you are electronically authorizing PanurgyOEM to charge your account $ 27.50.

**WE CANNOT PROCEED THE REPAIR WITHOUT A SIGNED COPY OF THE ATTACHED INVOICE.**

If you are refusing to have the unit shipped back AS IS, please print the invoice, check the appropriate refusal box, sign, and return.

If you request your original box to be returned, but the box is deemed unsafe per Carrier specifications, an additional fee will be charged with material costs to return your original box in a separate shipment.

Thank you,
PanurgyOEM
Customer Service
PanurgyOEM | 701 Ford Road | Rockaway, NJ | 07866
t.973.625.4056 | f.973.625.9489
http://www.panurgyoem.com

Am I to believe that with all of the units out there with this problem these guys didn't know the parts were no longer available? Great business model. Pay some kid $15 an hour to collect $65 for an evaluation you know is going to result in no further expenditure of time. Cost me $20 to ship it to them priority with $500 insurance and they want to charge me $27 to send it back?

Take away - there are no replacement parts to repair the USB port on these units. not sure if that applies to the other Pioneer units and the Onkyo versions but be warned.

Pioneer/Onkyo corporate did step up and promised to make it right. Have to give them credit for offering to do the right thing and stand behind their product. Your mileage may vary. I'll follow up and let you know
Just wow dude. I would be steaming F'ing mad. Then what do you do? Pay them to send your paperweight back or just let them keep your $500 paperweight? That sucks man.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #2,190 of 2,535
Yeah, I wish it was just a straight housing without the extra bit of copper cable, which seems pointless and doesn't seem like great design. Looking for balanced cables w/ native 2.5 plug is a good idea though. Appreciate the advice, fellas!
Oh no that bit of cable is there for good reason. You definitely wouldn't want a 2 inch rigid adapter sticking out from your fragile 300R 2.5mm port. That's begging for trouble. Hell just the 2.5mm part of the adapter is too long as it is, gotta be careful if you put it in your pocket and honestly I rarely put mine in my pocket and if I do it's only very briefly and I'm walking on eggshells the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back