Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Dec 18, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,013 of 2,535
Hi, Just ordered one for around $350 USD brand new in silver with free Express shipping. I will be receiving it in few days.What are the preferred settings out of the box for more battery life and what kind of care does it need to keep going for the longest?

I’m new to DAPs, any other suggestions are welcomed.

Will be using my current Sennheiser HD 1 IEi In-Ear Headphones as for now. I have no idea, How its gonna sound. Hoping for the best.

From 1-10 scale, How good does it sound as compared to an iPhone? (Which I’m using currently to listen to music)

I use the iPhone X and while the SQ is not the greatest, it's passable and ok.

If the iPhone X is like 5 on the overall scheme of things, I would say the 300R is like a solid 9. If you take into consideration SQ, interface, the filter options, CPU speed and low-floor noise, it's a steal if you can get one for like USD600 or so. I got mine used for USD280 or so.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2,014 of 2,535
I use the iPhone X and while the SQ is not the greatest, it's passable and ok.

If the iPhone X is like 5 on the overall scheme of things, I would say the 300R is like a solid 9.
Sounds good but here im having hard time tuning up this thing to give me best outcome. The bass is not that impressive and its not getting as loud as that I can’t bare it.

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2,015 of 2,535
Sounds good but here im having hard time tuning up this thing to give me best outcome. The bass is not that impressive and its not getting as loud as that I can’t bare it.

It's really not the bassiest DAP out there. What it gives is a nice upper midrange and treble. Actually, if you disable everything on the device (uninstall unnecessary apps/services, airplane mode + standalone mode), it has a very, very nice treble extension (says up to 80,000 kHz but I seriously doubt if it's that noticeable). It is after all, Onkyo/Pioneer which is a Japanese company and they like their female vocals and instrumentals and less so hard rocking bass.

If you want to improve the bass, I recommend higher gain (High or Normal), output through balanced (normal mode) and using the SLOW filter. I think that will give you the best results.

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,016 of 2,535
Not sure if it's been posted, but if you uninstall unessential apps/services (pretty much all of them), use Airplane Mode + Standalone Mode, Low Gain 2, Short Filter, set Jitter to the Narrow (highest) and use Balanced (ACG mode), you get a really, really clean signal with a massively tall soundstage due to the treble detail and dark background.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,017 of 2,535
I will try to delete all the extra apps. But I just downloaded poweramp and omg, this app shines this DAP the most. Now, I can tell that this is extraordinary. iPhone is no comparison to it. I got bass, treble, all the effects. Hey, dont forget about the visualizations in poweramp.
I used regular headphone mode and it amazed me with quality of sound I got with flac files. I wonder how different is the balance mode from regular.

I noticed balance port only accepts thin auxiliary input. How would I know that I am ordering right wire/headphones online if I ever plan to?

I don’t think beats or bose support balance mode.

Someone clear me if they do.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,018 of 2,535
I will try to delete all the extra apps. But I just downloaded poweramp and omg, this app shines this DAP the most. Now, I can tell that this is extraordinary. iPhone is no comparison to it. I got bass, treble, all the effects. Hey, dont forget about the visualizations in poweramp.
I used regular headphone mode and it amazed me with quality of sound I got with flac files. I wonder how different is the balance mode from regular.

I noticed balance port only accepts thin auxiliary input. How would I know that I am ordering right wire/headphones online if I ever plan to?

I don’t think beats or bose support balance mode.

Someone clear me if they do.

You need a balanced cable with a 2.5mm plug.

Balanced has better SQ imo than SE on this DAP since it utilizes the dual DACs and also ACG mode which drops the noise-floor as well. It also has twice the power which you may need to drive headphones.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #2,019 of 2,535
Thought I would give my ten cents worth on this player as I've been listening to it for about a year now.

It is very headphone fussy I have found. The comments about lack of bass I agree with to a certain extent. I was at Gatwick some months ago and I tried the player on every pair of headphones I could test out. The results were interesting. My usual favorites like Sennheiser sounded very tinny and no bass at all, Beats just sounded a complete mess, and the Sony award winners didn't sound that great either.

I since opted for a a pair of AKG Y50's. Not expensive (and I have the bluetooth option if I want to use it) but they generate a healthy amount of bass. Sound is good for the price and they are enjoyable and comfortable to listen to. I listen to so many different types of music it was always a hard ask to find the perfect pair of headphones.

My balanced setup is a pair of in-ear AKG N40's. They blew me away with this player. I got a balanced lead from Japan so I could use the 2.5mm plug. Great sound, awesome soundstage and bass. Well worth the money.and I'm very pleased with them. I suppose the only downside is just cost. I'm very careful with them as they are most expensive in-ears I've ever purchased.

I've setup about 20 different EQ curves on the stock player and try each one until I find the right mix for what I'm listening to at the time. They are all subtlety different to one another but it saves me playing with each curve.

The other thing I will mention is for the last ten years I've listened to Apple products. Which of course is fine but their sound is tailored a particular way. Hard hitting, hard bass, tailored for dance, pop, rock, etc. This player as mentioned above is a detail machine. It can pull so much detail from FLAC and hi-res it's an incredible piece of kit. It simply took my ears some time to adjust (if that makes sense). The sound is better but it's different to what I've been listening to for many years. A good example is I got the hi-res anniversary edition of Jurassic Park. It simply sounds amazing through this player. I also got some Eric Clapton in hi-res as well and that's a real test of this machine. Why? Because electric guitar can become very tiring to listen to if the treble is too harsh. I still had to setup some various EQ curves but got there in the end.

Same for products as well, manufacturers are in some ways forced to tailor their products to Apple products, Beats of course being the obvious example.

I'm curious about the Chord Mojo and I may get one at some point to see what improvements it can make, however as I've now become adjusted to the Pioneers sound signature I immediately notice the difference when I go back to the iPod at the gym.

I tried USB Audio Player PRO but didn't like the user interface so went back to the stock app. Each to their own though :)

I suppose my only complaints are it would be nice to have a little more amp power, a USB type C socket (just so much stronger), upgraded headphone sockets (although I've never had any issues, I think if you use huge plugs in the sockets you are at risk of damaging the player though), maybe a few more hours play time, and an odd one I know but wireless charging would be cool as well in a device as power hungry as this.

Anyway just my thoughts... :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #2,020 of 2,535
Thought I would give my ten cents worth on this player as I've been listening to it for about a year now.

It is very headphone fussy I have found. The comments about lack of bass I agree with to a certain extent. I was at Gatwick some months ago and I tried the player on every pair of headphones I could test out. The results were interesting. My usual favorites like Sennheiser sounded very tinny and no bass at all, Beats just sounded a complete mess, and the Sony award winners didn't sound that great either.

I since opted for a a pair of AKG Y50's. Not expensive (and I have the bluetooth option if I want to use it) but they generate a healthy amount of bass. Sound is good for the price and they are enjoyable and comfortable to listen to. I listen to so many different types of music it was always a hard ask to find the perfect pair of headphones.

My balanced setup is a pair of in-ear AKG N40's. They blew me away with this player. I got a balanced lead from Japan so I could use the 2.5mm plug. Great sound, awesome soundstage and bass. Well worth the money.and I'm very pleased with them. I suppose the only downside is just cost. I'm very careful with them as they are most expensive in-ears I've ever purchased.

I've setup about 20 different EQ curves on the stock player and try each one until I find the right mix for what I'm listening to at the time. They are all subtlety different to one another but it saves me playing with each curve.

The other thing I will mention is for the last ten years I've listened to Apple products. Which of course is fine but their sound is tailored a particular way. Hard hitting, hard bass, tailored for dance, pop, rock, etc. This player as mentioned above is a detail machine. It can pull so much detail from FLAC and hi-res it's an incredible piece of kit. It simply took my ears some time to adjust (if that makes sense). The sound is better but it's different to what I've been listening to for many years. A good example is I got the hi-res anniversary edition of Jurassic Park. It simply sounds amazing through this player. I also got some Eric Clapton in hi-res as well and that's a real test of this machine. Why? Because electric guitar can become very tiring to listen to if the treble is too harsh. I still had to setup some various EQ curves but got there in the end.

Same for products as well, manufacturers are in some ways forced to tailor their products to Apple products, Beats of course being the obvious example.

I'm curious about the Chord Mojo and I may get one at some point to see what improvements it can make, however as I've now become adjusted to the Pioneers sound signature I immediately notice the difference when I go back to the iPod at the gym.

I tried USB Audio Player PRO but didn't like the user interface so went back to the stock app. Each to their own though :)

I suppose my only complaints are it would be nice to have a little more amp power, a USB type C socket (just so much stronger), upgraded headphone sockets (although I've never had any issues, I think if you use huge plugs in the sockets you are at risk of damaging the player though), maybe a few more hours play time, and an odd one I know but wireless charging would be cool as well in a device as power hungry as this.

Anyway just my thoughts... :)
And removeable battery would be nice too.
Do you know if this DAP uses amp if used from usb port as output audio?

My car does not have an aux port. Do you think there’s any way to output audio thru inbuilt amps rather than stock dac? Is Bluetooth output any different than iPhone Bluetooth quality?

Do you think there would be an aftermarket underrated iems companies which sell nice iems cheaper with solid quality?

Which website do you use for flac music downloads?

I use flac24 dot com

There’s one more which lets you download full albums thru mega app straight to your device.

I have been using iphone from straight 6-7 years. I thought I would not like an android dap but I’m loving it. There are so many apps and sources available for android devices. I dont need to sync music thru my computer no more lol.

In addition, would you have any idea, if I download apple music app on this player, what quality Of music is it gonna download?

Further more, does it use dac if watching videos on mx player pro?

So far, I’m loving this dap. It made my iphone sound light now. I feel the difference between these two now. No comparison.

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #2,021 of 2,535
I don’t think you can even compare the iPhone to this DAP. This thing is just a detail monster because of the low floor noise and treble extension. That and the Short filter + jitter settings lets you set the sound so that it has very little decay which improves the imaging. ACG mode helps with this as well.

As someone described before in this thread (I forgot who), the sound is very “delicate” and “tender”. Upper midrange and treble just sound so good. Bass sits in the back but I think that’s where it’s supposed to be. Vocals are center and treble is very airy so which gives an immense sense of height.

Drawbacks are soundstage width, battery life (which can be improved immensely if you uninstall apps/services and use battery saving mode) and the suspect jacks. Other than that, a steal at the current 50-60% off prices I suspect.

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #2,022 of 2,535
Hi, looking for Additional DAP with sabre chip... and got attention with this....

need a few info,
1) what is the impedance of Xdp-300r single end and Balanced (7 ohm if I not wrong....)
2) off line Streaming data storage on SD Card... I know in fiio x5 3rd, this can't.. if you save it in SD card, the data will be gone when you shut down the device, or you forget to close the app when it went to sleep mode....

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #2,024 of 2,535
Does anybody have a link for a good case and/or screen protector for this device?

It's probably not for everyone, but I keep mine in this pouch, and it works great. Easy access to either the volume wheel or the transport buttons, loose enough that it hasn't suffered any damage after several drops, a few pockets for cords. I did use an x-acto to remove the velcro and superfluous interior loops.

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/mini-pocket-organizer?variant=27869021009

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back