Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Apr 24, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #1,666 of 2,535
You are in California but got it from Amazon JP? Why?

Also, if you don't need WiFi or like Android you probably should have went with some from say, Opus.

Pretty simple - it was less money. I am not sure how Amazon does it, but it was less than the listed price, low shipping costs and no import fees. It was here in a matter of days. I buy lots of stuff from the various Amazon locations (UK, DE, FR, IT and JP) and I use euros to pay for it.

Maybe I should have considered an Opus. But I got the 300R and that's the thread. Do you think the 300R is a poor choice?

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,667 of 2,535
Maybe I should have considered an Opus. But I got the 300R and that's the thread. Do you think the 300R is a poor choice?

Its got its minor issues, battery life could be better, output could be louder, but what player doesn't, I do like mine and use it all the time.

I don't personally tweak any of the settings or EQ myself, I have messed about with the settings but to me it just sounds better with factory settings.

To disable apps that are not required, just perform the standard Android procedure: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2521768?hl=en-GB

And lastly to fix the sometimes non-bitperfect issues install UAPP, its a very good player app, IMHO the best there is and worth every £,$, €.

Happy listening. :)

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,668 of 2,535
And lastly to fix the sometimes non-bitperfect issues install UAPP, its a very good player app, IMHO the best there is and worth every £,$, €.

Thanks for the feedback!

I was aware of the battery life issue, but I think I will be OK by disabling some apps and Wi-Fi.

I had read about UAPP and I think I will give it a try. Are people using it with the Morphit Mobile add-on?

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,670 of 2,535
Hello fellow 300R owners. I received my unit from Amazon Japan last week. I've read through some of the pages on this thread, but frankly there is too much information to try to pour through all of it. I'm using it with the Sennheiser HD 660 S and an adapter to go from the balanced 4.4 mm plug to the 2.5 mm TRRS. I've been running it for some hours with audio burn in tones and signals to try and get it "broken in." It sounds like it still requires some tweaking for optimal performance.

I don't really care about streaming services, Android or being connected to a network. What I really want is to play my collection of ripped SACD's and purchased FLAC files (when DSD is not available) and be portable. I do not want it to be connected to a network or interacting with the Android OS too much. I don't supposed anyone has compiled a tweak sheet for everything you can do to strip out the extraneous software and unnecessary Android OS overhead?

As I was reading parts of this thread I was becoming concerned that Android may actually be mucking up the audio output. Is this still the case and what is the current workaround? Do people recommend using a audio file player other than the one Pioneer has included? What else should I be doing to optimize the 300R for my use case?

Thanks to any and all for their suggestions!
Hey, I've had my device for about a month now, the first thing I did when I got it was to go into Apps settings and uninstall all the Google bloatware and turn off / disable pretty much everything other than music related stuff (which is just the music app in my case). I'm only listening in offline mode so I won't be needing wifi/bluetooth at all, plus it helps with the battery, so you'd wanna keep it off all the time. Also turn off the location services, don't think you need them and you'd just be wasting battery. Also note that balanced does drain the battery a bit faster, when I'm listening through balanced I get about 7 hours of playback compared to single-ended which gives me about 10-12 hours. I honestly don't hear any difference in the audio quality between the two apart from balanced being significantly louder, so I just run mine in single-ended mode for the most part, after all battery life is important to me.

Next, you can start using the Standalone mode button to turn off the screen, it does save a bit more battery compared to when you just turn off the screen with the button. I have mine as a widget on the desktop. Also I don't think Android is "limiting" your sound quality in any way, there is honestly not that much to tweak in this case and I think it already sounds fantastic straight out of the box. LG V20 was my previous primary portable "DAP" and it got really close to the 300R in terms of sound quality, but it is a phone after all and had its limitations. Also I did disable the lockscreen in the settings to allow me to get into my music selection faster.

As for the player, I'm using PowerAmp (with a Material skin) and sound-wise it sounds the same to me as the player that Pioneer included, but it has much nicer UI with many more options to tweak. As well as great folder preview, which I use as my primary way of searching through my music. I've put a lot of work into organizing all folders and songs neatly and the stock Pioneer player doesn't even display album art in each folder which is just dumb to me.

The sound settings are kind of up to you, I personally don't hear much of a difference between them. The only thing you SHOULD turn on is the Variable Line Out Mode if you have the EU version, this will bypass some dumb EU volume regulations and allow you to use the full power of your amp. But if you want to know, I personally use Narrow & Slow combination, seems to be a touch faster and smoother (around 10k-15k) than Normal & Sharp which is default. (tested with: HD660S, Denon D7200, AQ NightOwl, CA Andromeda)

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #1,671 of 2,535
Is there a few update for this unit as it seems the onkyo dpx1 has one dated 2018 while I cant a new one for our units.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #1,672 of 2,535
Had a couple of interesting issues recently. Not deal breakers as I can work round them but thought I would share.

I was listening to some rock the other day and just played around with the bass boost to see what it did to the sound. Left it on low. Helped give the music a bit more of a kick and as I mention above just playing around really.

Oddly this caused the sound to cut out. For about half a second during every other song or so, switched off the bass boost and it disappeared. So I can live without. This was FLAC files.

The other one is I put a load of AAC files onto the SD card (I have the music in FLAC as well but the smaller files were easier at the time as I was in a rush) and I've noticed when I shuffle play all the songs by the same artist I get digital jitter (or audible stuttering if you like) at the end of some tracks, almost like it's having trouble deciding what track to play next. Lasts for a few seconds or so.

Didn't get it at all with FLAC so I guess I'll just stick to those. I did the AAC files for the likes of my Garmin running watch, etc.

It's a good card (sandisk ultra 200GB). Like I say not a deal breaker. I haven't used the unit enough so I don't know if this was there before the last player update. I did wonder if the jitter was the player trying to normalise the sound across tracks.

May 2, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,673 of 2,535
I have a XDP 300R on the way after a brief affair with the X5iii....sent packing due to the well reported (and very very true) glitchy software. My first venture into the DAP world.

Question I cant seem to pin down after reading this entire thread and some others (the topic is touched on several times but not 100% clear to me)...will these 2.5mm Balanced Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female adaptors convert the balanced signal to SE?...thus allowing me to run SE'd cables from my headphones (HD800, HD650, LCD 2.2's, MDR-Z1R's) and gain the extra juice from the balanced output of the 300R? I realize it would not be a balanced signal but if there is more power to drive the headphones it could be useful.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076Y39BB9/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJ2PJNO98VCDO
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9HK243/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A22X29F5BSK656&psc=1

Side Note: I have balanced cables terminated to XLRs for all my cans for my main rig but I don't think the weight of an XLR/2.5 TRRS adaptor will be so kind to the jack based on the concerns I've read regarding QA. In the end I may just get balanced cables terminated with the 2.5 TRRS for my Z1R's (don't see any of the other headphones going far from my main system but I do like to dance : ). Either way curious if these adaptors provide any benefits.

May 2, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #1,674 of 2,535
You are confusing things.

You can not go from SE to BAL, you can go from BAL to SE though. The cable is the balanced, the connection just allows it to work. You will need new cables for all your SE gear

May 2, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #1,675 of 2,535
Can someone please explain to me if I might derive any improvement in sound-quality/audio fidelity with the 300R if I stop using the Onkyo app and switch to UAPP? Assume my ears are as good as oscilloscopes (though they aren't), and that I don't know anything about PCM or DSD or FLAC or really any of that stuff (because I basically don't--just a humble country chicken.)

I don't use Tidal. I listen to some 96 kHz FLACs from HDTracks, but mostly to 44 kHz ones ripped from my CD collection (using whatever default settings would be, though I don't remember there was much fiddling or choices to make when encoding FLAC.)

Totally happy to take my answer in the form of links to informative sites or threads in this forum. I'm sure the answer's out there somewhere.

Thanks!

P.S. I tried Neutron, but it occasionally FREAKED OUT and blasted noise into my ears at TOP volume for reasons I could never figure out. Likely it was user error, but who needs that noise (literally).

May 2, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #1,676 of 2,535
[
You can not go from SE to BAL, you can go from BAL to SE though. The cable is the balanced, the connection just allows it to work. You will need new cables for all your SE gear[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response. Read a few more threads and understand the concept of balanced much better (2 singles per channel) vs SE (one single per channel plus a GND).

My adventure into hifi audio has been such a joy...and I owe much of my knowledge and experience falling in love with music again to the head-if community. Thank you.

May 3, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #1,677 of 2,535
Can someone please explain to me if I might derive any improvement in sound-quality/audio fidelity with the 300R if I stop using the Onkyo app and switch to UAPP? Assume my ears are as good as oscilloscopes (though they aren't), and that I don't know anything about PCM or DSD or FLAC or really any of that stuff (because I basically don't--just a humble country chicken.)

I don't use Tidal. I listen to some 96 kHz FLACs from HDTracks, but mostly to 44 kHz ones ripped from my CD collection (using whatever default settings would be, though I don't remember there was much fiddling or choices to make when encoding FLAC.)

Totally happy to take my answer in the form of links to informative sites or threads in this forum. I'm sure the answer's out there somewhere.

Thanks!

P.S. I tried Neutron, but it occasionally FREAKED OUT and blasted noise into my ears at TOP volume for reasons I could never figure out. Likely it was user error, but who needs that noise (literally).

The short answer is yes, UAPP is to me a superior App to the included Onkyo/Pioneer App.

Is there still a trial version of UAPP available? Why not try it first and see what you think of it first.

May 3, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #1,678 of 2,535
The short answer is yes, UAPP is to me a superior App to the included Onkyo/Pioneer App.

Is there still a trial version of UAPP available? Why not try it first and see what you think of it first.

I don't think there's a free version available anymore and currently they charge you 10$ for the app, which in my opinion might be a little too much just for "willing to see if it makes any audible difference compared to stock".
I personally use Poweramp and have no complaints, the folder browser there suits me and my needs a lot.

May 3, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #1,679 of 2,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back