Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 28, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #1,352 of 2,535
Hi there,

I may be wrong, but I do not think so. The default app in both 100R and 300R is this one, I believe:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opi.pioneer.dap_music

Of course it may be the case that the app you mentioned is virtually the same but with a slightly different UI.

The app you mentioned does not seem to be the default app for Onkyo devices (I have an Onkyo DP-X1) and the app also seems different.

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,354 of 2,535
Jan 28, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #1,356 of 2,535
Yes. Hence, both DAPs have these features. The HiBy R6 would do it better I suppose due to it bypassing Android's SRC in most applications. I'm not sure if Pioneer's offering does this though. I'm actually wondering what battery life looks like between the two while using the internet and listening to music in the background. Also, I'm hoping you read my post in the other thread I linked. It should clarify most of my questions. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,358 of 2,535
ht3awicrczw67ypozy1b.jpg

f4grmg2z6o3wqlyxfxtu.png

"Here you see a 1kHz square wave signal sampled at 192kHz, being put out by a music app on android. On usual Android devices this signal would be resampled and mixed into the fixed 48kHz system audio stream, producing a digital output to the DAC like the upper picture. Whereas on the R6, DTA architecture bypasses Android Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) for all apps, the signal would pass unaltered to the DAC like the lower picture."

Jan 28, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,359 of 2,535
Yeah, I browsed through it and it actually mentions these and the player seems impressive.

However, this being a novelty, you never know how it turns out in the end.

I would believe that this whole bypassing Android mumbo jumbo eventually makes either no or marginal difference.

I was astonished by the sound quality of XDP 100R, now having an Onkyo DP X1 - a doppelganger of XDP 300R and I am equally pleased.

You might go for the XDP 300R, a used one, check it out, then sell it onwards and then buy this new magical device once the price drops :p

It is really hard to tell how the device sounds without there being any proper tests.

Also, not sure if new Android really makes that much of a difference if you are predominantly going to listen to music and two SD slots always come in handy :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,360 of 2,535
When I play a track in the Music app, the display shows two formats, the original track format, and the output format. What exactly is the output format? The user manual is vague on this point. Is it what would be output from the USB socket? Is it what is fed into the XDP-300R's DAC?

When I play a DSD file, the output format is shown as 192/24 PCM. Is the XDP-300R's not able to handle DSD? Is there a way I can configure the unit to send the track to its DAC without converting it to PCM?

I had the same question. If you see previous screenshots of the stock Music app, you'll see that the output matches the input. I tried de hiby app, but it's interface is far from being as slick as the stock app. I really hope they put this the way it was. Not that I have the ears of a bat or something, but still it seems that the conversion psychologically gives me the idea that some downgrading of the quality is in effect.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #1,361 of 2,535
I have no issue with the occasional "treat" purchase but I can't see me buying all the HD versions of CD's I already have.[/QUOTE said:
I thoroughly agree - I'm not sure if my beleaguered ears can tell that much difference, but I originally - many moons ago - ripped the Yes albums in Ogg Vorbis, then when I decided I had enough space to go for FLAC, the CDs wouldn't play nice. So, I thought I'd just try and see if it made a difference. It does, but I'm not sure it's a difference, as you say, of re-buying CDs I already have.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #1,362 of 2,535
I did splash out for a pair of the Pioneer SE-CH5BL-K (so I could use the balanced connection) .

Interesting - I returned mine after a couple of weeks. I realise that - from what I've read on this forum - they aren't considered expensive, but for the £69 I paid for them, I expected a bit more. I found the whole thing felt cheap and plasticky, and the sound - as you point out - thin. My SoundMagic E80s, which cost just less than that, sounded better, felt better and came with much more in the way of accessories (I mean for £69 only three sets of silicon and a little cloth bag? Come on! Even my SoundMagic E10s, at about half the price, came with more than that!) I burned them in as much as I could and while they sounded tolerable listening at home, on an evening commute the noise of inside the tube carriage and walking through a train station drowned out 90% of the music. It seems my balanced socket will just have to go unexplored.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,363 of 2,535
As for other Hi-def apps, I only have Hiby Music and Onkyo HF player, unlocked, which opens up the hi-def options. With the exception of the built in music apk and the Onkyo one, once unlocked, I have NOT found one that utilizes the 300R's full capabilities. I am going to write a comparison between the Onkyo HF and built in music app, as soon as I am done testing, but I can say they are, for the most part, identical in their maximization of the 300R. Others don't have or can't use all the 300R's Hi-def options.

Hey, just want to ask if you were able to do the comparison between Onkyo HF and the built in app? It seems to be very similar. Is it exactly the same? I have been told that they are not... Just wanting to check again before I buy the unlocked Onkyo HF player. Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #1,364 of 2,535
Interesting - I returned mine after a couple of weeks. I realise that - from what I've read on this forum - they aren't considered expensive, but for the £69 I paid for them, I expected a bit more. I found the whole thing felt cheap and plasticky, and the sound - as you point out - thin. My SoundMagic E80s, which cost just less than that, sounded better, felt better and came with much more in the way of accessories (I mean for £69 only three sets of silicon and a little cloth bag? Come on! Even my SoundMagic E10s, at about half the price, came with more than that!) I burned them in as much as I could and while they sounded tolerable listening at home, on an evening commute the noise of inside the tube carriage and walking through a train station drowned out 90% of the music. It seems my balanced socket will just have to go unexplored.

Well the only thing I noticed was when I pushed slightly more on the earphones the sound generally improved so I'm probably going to try a set of comply tips to see if a better seal makes a difference.

When you look at the frequency range the earphones supposedly operate across I guess that's where the added cost is.

Treated myself to a set of Brainwavz B400 with a balanced cord option. I'll let you know how they go with the 300R :)

I agree by the way; SoundMagic make some great budget products at the moment. Great for casual listening.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #1,365 of 2,535

Same here. Bought it the same time I bought the 300R. It's not too bad but I was a bit disappointed - I have never used balanced before and I probably was expecting too much from it. I have ordered the SE-CH9T(It's bigger brother) and MMCX 2.5 cable so I can still use balanced. I have been reading a lot of good things about the SE-CH9T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back