Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #556 of 2,535
I bought mine new on eBay for $449 and free shipping from a seller in Japan. Shipped from Japan to OH in 11 days. Packaging could have used a little more padding but it arived sealed, and perfect condition. The seller is Woodstock888. They have since raised to the price to $549 though. Sometimes a seller will also except "or best offer" as well though so it may not hurt to reach out to them and try to negotiate.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #557 of 2,535
I have a DAP+balanced cable bundle up for sale if anyone is interested

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #558 of 2,535
Is there any reason to buy this one over 100R if I don't plan on using balanced output in the future? Apparently the dual DACs of 300r are only used in balanced mode. Price isn't in the question though in my country 100R can be bought at 60% of the 300R price :d

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #559 of 2,535
  Is there any reason to buy this one over 100R if I don't plan on using balanced output in the future? Apparently the dual DACs of 300r are only used in balanced mode. Price isn't in the question though in my country 100R can be bought at 60% of the 300R price :d

To be honest: No.
OS, UI and specs are the same apart from the dual dac and dual amp, for which I think these will be used in balanced mode only (to be confirmed by Onkyo/Pioneer).
The XDP-100R has a speaker additionally.

Make sure you get a XDP-100R of the last batch, the early versions had some issues with the headphone connector being loose.

I bought the XDP-300R just because it was cheaper than a XDP-100R at the time, but now I am 'forced' to try balanced....

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #563 of 2,535
I've zeroed in Pioneer XDP 300r. I'm following amazon japan for good price (Right now it is JPY 67,437 but a week before it was around 56k)
After much research I've identified two IEM's. 

1. MEE audio Pinnacle p1
2. RHA T20i

I'm not sure which one to choose. My budget is around $200. Which one sounds better with Pioneer XDP 300r. Also, suggest if you have something other than this in $200 price range.

My preference,

1. Fit - should be comfortable and should not fall at least while walking. ( I hate apple headphone. It won't stay in my ears)
2. Durable
3. I like the sound signature of Shure SRH1540. I am looking for something similar. 

I have the rha t20i
Positives are a good strong punchy sound.. Plenty of midrange , well built with strong cable. ( but not replaceable) a great choice of sizes of tips and the three screw on filters really do make a difference.

Not so good point os that they can be hard to comfortably fit. The first 70 mm of cable from the earphone is a memory wire, which is a godsend,but the phones themselves are proving difficult to stay in with the tips as they are just too smooth and wont grip inside the ear. Meaning a lot of pressing them back in . I know ears are a little moist, bit the tips need to be of a rougher material to stay in.. Or you need to dry your ear canals thoroughly before and during use.
Alternate memory foam tips may be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #564 of 2,535
I thought I'd post here with my impressions, although nothing to add to what has already been mentioned.

I've been using a Samsung Note4 with the USB Audio Pro app and OPPO HA-2 with Bowers & Wilkins P5, OPPO PM-3 and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headphones. I also briefly tried the AK Jr DAP.

I wanted to get away from connecting the phone to an external DAC, so I briefly tried the AK Jr,  but the interface is the work of the devil so I've ended up with the XDP-300R.

It's close to being what I wanted but there are two things that will niggle me; The EQ doesnt work properly (even with DSP on) and the default "Music" app still up samples to the Android default 48khz even when upsampling is switched off in the settings.

Try using PowerAmp and you'll see how properly coded EQ should work!

Overall I'm happy. It's built well, the interface is good and sound quality is good, but for GBP 600 there shouldn't be fundamental issues with it. I suspect it's the app that is letting it down, but given the questions around the compatibility with other apps  it looks as though I'll have to live with it.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #565 of 2,535
Using XDP-300R with CA Vega's on spotify premium and always download songs at 320Kbps.  Has anyone noticed distortion when playing music at extremely low levels?  Like down in the 20's?  It's almost as if there is a hiss like haze around the music.  It's not noise, but more sound reproduction clarity issues at extremely low volumes.

Maybe it's the Vegas?

If I turn it up to normal listening levels it is absolutely crystal clear.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #566 of 2,535
I thought I'd post here with my impressions, although nothing to add to what has already been mentioned.

I've been using a Samsung Note4 with the USB Audio Pro app and OPPO HA-2 with Bowers & Wilkins P5, OPPO PM-3 and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headphones. I also briefly tried the AK Jr DAP.

I wanted to get away from connecting the phone to an external DAC, so I briefly tried the AK Jr,  but the interface is the work of the devil so I've ended up with the XDP-300R.

It's close to being what I wanted but there are two things that will niggle me; The EQ doesnt work properly (even with DSP on) and the default "Music" app still up samples to the Android default 48khz even when upsampling is switched off in the settings.

Try using PowerAmp and you'll see how properly coded EQ should work!

Overall I'm happy. It's built well, the interface is good and sound quality is good, but for GBP 600 there shouldn't be fundamental issues with it. I suspect it's the app that is letting it down, but given the questions around the compatibility with other apps  it looks as though I'll have to live with it.

Weird, seems like there's 2 camps of people regarding the eq issue. Mine works perfectly ootb.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #567 of 2,535
The official XDP-300R case arrived today from Japan.
Although way to expensive in my opinion, it fits like a glove and looks good. Picture parade:

The inside is lined with a soft velour.

Picture below: my device has a screen protector installed (atFolix FX-Hybrid-glass for the 100R), fits perfect with the case.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #568 of 2,535
Although way to expensive in my opinion, it fits like a glove and looks good. Picture parade:

The inside is lined with a soft velour.

Picture below: my device has a screen protector installed (atFolix FX-Hybrid-glass for the 100R), fits perfect with the case.

Looks beautiful! I just keep mine in a hard drive case from Case Logic, so I can always bundle my SE846's with them when I travel to work or abroad.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #569 of 2,535

*Lots of nice pictures* 

Thanks for sharing!
Do you mind telling us what you paid in the end?
In Europe there is not much available (yet) and my father in law has some 'quality issues' with the case he is making :wink:

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #570 of 2,535
Just tried the play Store version of Power amp. (v588) .... and whoa it is significantly louder (even in balanced mode).

What could be causing such an Increase in volume? To my ears, is not processing sound through the ESS dac (as the midrange and bass have far less fullness vs the stock player).

But why is power amp increasing the amp output so much?

Be careful if you try this. The stock music player I run it at 105 on the dial in balanced.... with power amp, I could not go higher than 25-30 on the dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back