Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 17, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #423 of 2,535
No Problem Steve glad you got it working.

The soldering shouldn't cause too many issues unless its really bad. The main issue I would imagine is that the cable wasn't really designed for balanced signals it should have twisted conductors to minimize cross-talk, it most likely has quite a high impedance too so you will be loosing some signal in the wire.

It will give you a good idea what the balanced output sounds like, when you have a better cable there should be an improvement too.

Is the balanced output noticeably louder?

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #424 of 2,535
Don't quite understand regarding the Pm3 built in balance? Is it internally in the headphones or.. ?

I thought it's all in the cable?

The headphone simply needs all four of its drive terminals separate L+ L- R+ R- a four pin connector is required or 2x 2 pin connectors.

Most headphones have their ground connections commoned together L- and R- so won't do balanced unless rewired

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #425 of 2,535
No Problem Steve glad you got it working.

The soldering shouldn't cause too many issues unless its really bad. The main issue I would imagine is that the cable wasn't really designed for balanced signals it should have twisted conductors to minimize cross-talk, it most likely has quite a high impedance too so you will be loosing some signal in the wire.

It will give you a good idea what the balanced output sounds like, when you have a better cable there should be an improvement too.

Is the balanced output noticeably louder?

Yes noticeably for the same volume settings

Ithink i may invest in some 4 core cable.. Plus some trrs plugs and do a decent job.. Assuming my skills are sufficient to do the tiny soldering work on the plugs.. Ive read that clamps that act as heatsinks are a good idea too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #426 of 2,535
Don't quite understand regarding the Pm3 built in balance? Is it internally in the headphones or.. ?

I thought it's all in the cable?

The headphone simply needs all four of its drive terminals separate L+ L- R+ R- a four pin connector is required or 2x 2 pin connectors.

Most headphones have their ground connections commoned together L- and R- so won't do balanced unless rewired

The pm3 has been built for balanced use.. They even sell their own cable for it..but i can only find it on the oppo australian site at nearly £100

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #427 of 2,535
One thing I noticed is that when searching song and played the searched song the player will generate the playlist base on the song album. Any setting that I can change to play all the song instead on the album after searching and playing the particular song?

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #429 of 2,535
A question that keeps bugging me: Can someone confirm that the XDP-300R (or DP-X1/DP-1XA for that matter) always uses one or two of the ES9018K2M DAC's, so be it Spotify, Tidal, MQA, FLAC or DSD.
AFAIK the DAC that is part of the Qualcom is always bypassed, hence the separated boards, correct? 
If it uses 1 or 2 DAC's is triggered by the output, 3.5 vs. 2.5 (balanced).

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #430 of 2,535
For those still wondering on getting a Dignis case, I got the following answer from Dignis:

It is somewhat compatible with the our DP-X1 case.
Please refer to
https://twitter.com/eear_ryouta/status/804520734424866816

I think I’ll get a yellow one.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #431 of 2,535
A pointless but factual view from me ...

Pioneer xdp300r + oppo pm3 + botched home soldered £3 balanced cable
Absolutely trounces..

Hifiman he400i on unbalanced..

Hifiman is wooly/ closed in and dull in the treble in comparison..

Just saying..

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #432 of 2,535
A pointless but factual view from me ...

Pioneer xdp300r + oppo pm3 + botched home soldered £3 balanced cable
Absolutely trounces..

Hifiman he400i on unbalanced..

Hifiman is wooly/ closed in and dull in the treble in comparison..

Just saying..

That might help with your 1 dac/ 2 dac quesrion substi

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #434 of 2,535
  I'm ordering a 2.5mm balanced to 2.5mm mono cable soon, in order to test how the XDP300R can drive some of my headphones (HD700, ATH-AD2000, and my modified T40RP MK3). Will definitely share the impressions with this thread, if anyone's interested.

Desperate to know the result to justify the investment on a balanced cable for HD700 

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #435 of 2,535
My prized XDP-300R from Japan died today.  It was a short life...only two weeks but Amazon Japan will process the return if I can manage to convince them that the Local DHL will not accept the return package without an English language mailing label.  So far no luck on that issue with Amazon Japan.  Cheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back