Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #2,476 of 2,535
I'm possibly looking at an upgrade...

I've had the 300R for about 5 years, still mint, still works fine.

My only workarounds are firstly I have to run it through a Fiio Amp to work with the Sennheiser 660S's and I own a pair of B&W PX7's which I use more than I thought I would but they are the latest specs Bluetooth wise (V5.0 AptxHD and so on) which of course the Pioneer doesn't have.

I wanted to treat myself to a new player with more up to date Bluetooth specs and more drive in the amp stage. I should point out that I use wireless when on the plane or just want the convenience of Bluetooth headphones once in a while.

I was originally thinking of the Shanling M6 Pro, but I listen to a lot of concerts, jazz and the lack of gapless playback is just crazy. It may be sorted soon I suppose but that's not a risk I wanted to take. Amazing that this isn't mentioned in reviews I've seen, it's only on forums like this that I read about it.

I did look at the Sony NW-ZX507, up to date Bluetooth (V5.0) and more modern Android (V9) but firstly I'm not sure about the Sony sound, I have heard a few and found them very sterile and not at all involving to listen too. However the Sony build quality should be a good plus, although on the dedicated HeadFi forum I read about odd things happening on even these DAP's. More compact size though.

My last choice is the Fiio M15. Expensive yes, but again massive amp stage for when I want to use the 660S's. Bluetooth 5.0 so a good match for the PX7's. I guess my only concern is just....well......that amount of money and I worry about build quality and reliability! haha. It doesn't help when you read about people with M11's that fail after a year. Although this is the internet and we all like to moan rather than praise sometimes so it could be the minority.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, on the above, I may even just stick with the Pioneer for a few more months and see what the latest developments are in 2021 but I've found a few good prices for the M15 with 15% off, etc.

Hi I have the Hiby R6 pro SS. I love it. Also the R5 which is good but not as good. The R2 is a step down. I have the Shanling M6 and it has a good clean sound but I prefer the Hibys warmer sound. It's more complete. I also have the Sony A45 which has MrWalkmans custom ROM installed. This has improved the overall sound.
The Zishan DSD AK4499 player comes with the same chip as the Fiio M15 and it has lovely clarity. I bought it for £170 second hand.
For the fun factor and little cash output I like the Walnut F2. I have reviewed it on Head-Fi.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,480 of 2,535
Hello guys. Happy 300r owner for over 3 years and thinking about the upgrade (my unit still working perfectly tho. Even battery life is very acceptable). Have any of you heard Shanling m6 pro? Is it noticeably better dap soundwise? I'm not interested in screen, functions etc., already read about it. Or should I get something like dx300 to really feel the difference?

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,481 of 2,535
Hello guys. Happy 300r owner for over 3 years and thinking about the upgrade (my unit still working perfectly tho. Even battery life is very acceptable). Have any of you heard Shanling m6 pro? Is it noticeably better dap soundwise? I'm not interested in screen, functions etc., already read about it. Or should I get something like dx300 to really feel the difference?
Hi I have the Shanling M6 and it's not better than the pioneer. I like the Hiby R6 Pro 👍

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,483 of 2,535
Thanx for an answer. I'm interested in m6 pro which is, according to the reviews- a step up over m6. But maybe too little upgrade to even bother. But anyways still waiting for any info about m6 pro.
I loved my pioneer and onkyo. I didn't even feel the m11 was an upgrade and didn't really fell I got an upgrade till I got into Astell & kern se100 that I have now and there are still things I miss from pioneer and onkyo

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #2,484 of 2,535
I loved my pioneer and onkyo. I didn't even feel the m11 was an upgrade and didn't really fell I got an upgrade till I got into Astell & kern se100 that I have now and there are still things I miss from pioneer and onkyo
Thats the bold statement. What you actually miss from Pioneer and Onkyo? How's the soundstage from se100 compared to them?

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,485 of 2,535
Thats the bold statement. What you actually miss from Pioneer and Onkyo? How's the soundstage from se100 compared to them?
Soundstage is a bit wider. I miss the way onkyo and pioneer sorted. I like to use genre then artist, then album. Astell& Kern can't do this. I also miss being able to load any app I wanted as well as watching video on the Onkyo and Pioneer. I do love the sound on the A&kern better.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #2,486 of 2,535
I went for the Shanling M6 and am more than happy. It's a thing of beauty, but I do run PowerAmp on it rather than the Shanling app, which I found chaotic and slow. I couldn't see the advantage of spending the extra £200 on the M6 Pro, to be honest.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,487 of 2,535
Hello, very interesting answer this. I would like to replace my battery with a stronger one. Any suggestions? And to know how I will do that. Would you be so kind to give me a short workaround? I would be very grateful. Thank you. Remco (Netherlands)
You might open your unit up, then take it to a cell phone repair store.

They have hundreds of batteries in stock, so they could physically make sure that any higher amp-hour unit will actually fit inside the case.

Take a picture for the rest of us, should you find a larger replacement.

Sorry for the long reply time, I've been abroad.

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,489 of 2,535
Any "cell phone repair" shop can open and replace the battery.

The battery you need is the 1ICP4/53/67 3.8v 1630mah, and it costs $20usd in the States.

asdf-1.jpg
It is 7/2021 now and my battery was bursting. The replacements no longer appear to be available in the US or even Alibaba. Does anyone know if the 58x67x6mm (5mm wider and probably thicker) or any other battery can fit in as a replacement? Or what will fit in? I'd really hate to scrap this!

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #2,490 of 2,535
You might open your unit up, then take it to a cell phone repair store.

They have hundreds of batteries in stock, so they could physically make sure that any higher amp-hour unit will actually fit inside the case.

Take a picture for the rest of us, should you find a larger replacement.

Sorry for the long reply time, I've been abroad.
FWIW I just had mine to Ubreakifix. They do not stock hundreds of batteries, more like two dozen of the newest most popular and they order in the rest. They could find NO replacement, and all the online listings say DISCONTINUED if you try to buy them. Which I'm trying to do. I may have to open it again and grease up the calipers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back