Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Nov 18, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,936 of 2,535
Nov 18, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,937 of 2,535
Does anybody know if these would be okay with the 300R?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RHA-TrueCo...cs&ie=UTF8&qid=1542547543&sr=1-3&keywords=rha

I'm a big RHA fan, but have never used bluetooth earphones, so I'm wary.

Bluetooth headphones have their own amp/dac so, any fancy dap is nothing more than a fancy digital transport device.

That said, as @SteveOliver said, the CODEC support is really the only thing that matters. The Pioneer XDP-300R supports AptX (regular, not HD). That would be the best you could do which would be the limiting factor of the DAP.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,939 of 2,535
I would find something else myself. The RHA Trueconnect only supports SBC which is the lowest quality CODEC, look for Aptx or Aptx HD.

Thanks for that -- it's a pity, 'cos I do like RHA as a company and product, but I guess I'll hold off. I don't really need bluetooth earphones, and have more than enough wired earphones to be going on with.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #1,940 of 2,535
Thanks for that -- it's a pity, 'cos I do like RHA as a company and product, but I guess I'll hold off. I don't really need bluetooth earphones, and have more than enough wired earphones to be going on with.
Have a look at the soon to be available Sennheiser TrueWireless IEM if you really want a true wireless IEM, it supports SBC, aptX™, aptX™ Low Latency and AAC, its a bit more money than the RHA IEM but that's probably accounted for by the bigger CODEC set. Or one of the Bluetooth "dongles" from Fiio or EarStudio if you don't mind a wire but want to be disconnected from the DAP itself.

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #1,941 of 2,535
Hey guys I just recently got one of these units. I love the unit and it sounds fantastic. Love the interface. But in finding it not nearly as powerful as expected. Even with my IEMs I’m using normal gain and about 120 volume. With my 16ohm Sony MDR-1AM2 I’m using normal gain and 120. With my 250ohm DT880 I’m using high gain and I can listen to it at max volume.

This thing is supposedly rated for 600ohm cans s it not? Granted this is all in SE mode, but damn surely 75mw per channel is enough to power these headphones with more headroom? Is there a setting somewhere I’m missing maybe? Thanks.

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #1,942 of 2,535
Hey guys I just recently got one of these units. I love the unit and it sounds fantastic. Love the interface. But in finding it not nearly as powerful as expected. Even with my IEMs I’m using normal gain and about 120 volume. With my 16ohm Sony MDR-1AM2 I’m using normal gain and 120. With my 250ohm DT880 I’m using high gain and I can listen to it at max volume.

This thing is supposedly rated for 600ohm cans s it not? Granted this is all in SE mode, but damn surely 75mw per channel is enough to power these headphones with more headroom? Is there a setting somewhere I’m missing maybe? Thanks.

Use balanced for your DT880.

As for the IEMs, you can go up to 160. So 120/160 = 75 which is not bad, however, for my IEMs, even the most sensitive ones, I use Low Gain 2 and 120 volume so you might be listening louder than I do...

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #1,943 of 2,535
Use balanced for your DT880.

As for the IEMs, you can go up to 160. So 120/160 = 75 which is not bad, however, for my IEMs, even the most sensitive ones, I use Low Gain 2 and 120 volume so you might be listening louder than I do...
You mean like have my DT880 terminated to a balanced output? That’s a tall order haha. I’ve got a Sony NW-ZX300 on the way with a 4.4 that will accommodate my two Sony cans with a 4.4. But I don’t know if I want to spend the money on the DT880.

I mean in all honestly it does get loud enough, in just surprised this thing doesn’t have more power in SE mode and I was thinking maybe there was a software setting somewhere. One thing I’ve seen mentioned is variable output mode or some such. I’ve seen a fixed output mode which basically locks the volume to max and doesn’t let you adjust it. Haven’t seen the variable option though.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #1,944 of 2,535
You mean like have my DT880 terminated to a balanced output? That’s a tall order haha. I’ve got a Sony NW-ZX300 on the way with a 4.4 that will accommodate my two Sony cans with a 4.4. But I don’t know if I want to spend the money on the DT880.

I mean in all honestly it does get loud enough, in just surprised this thing doesn’t have more power in SE mode and I was thinking maybe there was a software setting somewhere. One thing I’ve seen mentioned is variable output mode or some such. I’ve seen a fixed output mode which basically locks the volume to max and doesn’t let you adjust it. Haven’t seen the variable option though.

On my N5ii, I’ve never gone past 45-50/100 of volume. This DAP just needs a few more clicks upwards I guess...sound is good anyways. You’ll get used to it =P

As for the DT880, hard to drive for any DAP in SE I’d think.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #1,945 of 2,535
I was going to buy this unit but after reading some different things on here it doesn't seem like this thing has a whole lot of power I want to put some Sennheiser HD 660 s or 650 s it doesn't sound like this Pioneer has enough power to really drive them. It's a shame because everything else about this Pioneer seems pretty darn good.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #1,946 of 2,535
I was going to buy this unit but after reading some different things on here it doesn't seem like this thing has a whole lot of power I want to put some Sennheiser HD 660 s or 650 s it doesn't sound like this Pioneer has enough power to really drive them. It's a shame because everything else about this Pioneer seems pretty darn good.
I just don’t understand. On paper it has plenty of power. Even in SE mode. But yeah unless you get those cans terminated in 2.5 balanced, I’d definitely want to hear it first before I bought it.

Now it’s great for my 16ohm cans and IEMs. But even on them I feel like I’m using higher gain and volume than I should be. But it is a nice sounding player with a good feature set. It’s also really cool looking. It’s a solid little brick. Battery sucks.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #1,947 of 2,535
I mean I guess I could buy it and try it with the Sennheiser and then just return it if it doesn't drive them but from all the reading I've been doing around the internet it doesn't sound like it has enough power like I'm going to have to turn it up full power to even get it close.

I did read run review about a guy I can't remember where it was but he said it would drive the hd800 and 650 S no problem but everything else I read is contradictory to that.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #1,948 of 2,535
I just don’t understand. On paper it has plenty of power. Even in SE mode. But yeah unless you get those cans terminated in 2.5 balanced, I’d definitely want to hear it first before I bought it.

Now it’s great for my 16ohm cans and IEMs. But even on them I feel like I’m using higher gain and volume than I should be. But it is a nice sounding player with a good feature set. It’s also really cool looking. It’s a solid little brick. Battery sucks.
It is true that this DAP is limited in terms of power.
But have you turned on the "variable line out" option if it exists?

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #1,949 of 2,535
I mean I guess I could buy it and try it with the Sennheiser and then just return it if it doesn't drive them but from all the reading I've been doing around the internet it doesn't sound like it has enough power like I'm going to have to turn it up full power to even get it close.

I did read run review about a guy I can't remember where it was but he said it would drive the hd800 and 650 S no problem but everything else I read is contradictory to that.

I can drive my 6XX off of balanced and ACG and high gain with no problems.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #1,950 of 2,535

I’m in the same boat dude. Like exactly. A couple dudes even in this thread talk about driving high impedance cans. Then there’s others like me wondering what the hell is wrong with this thing haha. I mean technically, it does drive my DT880 on high gain and at about 150 out of 160 volume. But I couldn’t get away with listening to classical with it for sure. Wouldn’t get loud enough. Some of my hi-res albums are real quiet too and probably wouldn’t get loud enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back