Pioneer new DJ In-Ear Headphones DJE-2000 and DJE-1500
Nov 1, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #61 of 135
I've been running my DJE-1500s for a week or so now, and I am very pleased with them, to my surprise. The sound is, not what I expected to put it simply. I was expecting it to replace my aging EPH-100, while being my new active DJ headphone/monitor. I'm hanging up my pair of HD25's for this, the noise isolation and relative clarity of an in-ear monitor just makes more sense to me heh.

I'm running mine with some eartips I pulled off an inexpensive meelectronics bud. I didn't like the stock buds, the silicone ones made my tracks sound compressed to be honest, and I don't like having to clean the foam tips. The tips I'm running right now have opened up the clarity a decent amount, and the soundstage as well.

To me, they have a "club" sound to them, is the best way I can put it.
- Soundstage
- The bass is definitely emphasized. Bordering on a bassline bud imo. This is definitely not a neutral headphone, but has a kind of fun signature to it. Can be tiring eventually though.
- I swear I can literally feel the bass on these buds. Might be because the EPH-100s weren't too bassy vs this. It works wonders for beatmatching when I'm DJ'ing though. I'm in love over this though, it helps me recognize in a sense how a track will sound/feel over a large PA system with subwoofers. This wasn't possible with the EPH-100s or HD25s. (The HD25s would tell me if a track was bassy, the EPH-100s would roll on smooth as waves, DJE-1500s show me what they'll sound like at a party.)
- Mids come out well. Highs feel a little recessed behind the mids. Highs don't seem to be harsh, which is great.
- Soundstage is decent. Not as large as the EPH-100, but it kind of brings the music "closer" to you, if you know what I mean. I'm experiencing an odd thing with the bass imaging, it seems it's more compressed vs the mids. This has actually been a helpful feature when mixing though.

- Overall, when I play a track, I can immediately zone in on the vocals/midrange and grasp what the bassline is doing if it's doing anything at all. Highs are in the slight background providing support.

I listen to electronic tracks almost exclusively. Blurb tracks to illustrate what I'm hearing:
Maduk ft. Veela - Ghost Assassin VIP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYzuc_gM9U; 0:00, 0:03, 0:43
- Vocals come out pristine on this track. Almost intimate; it doesn't feel like someone's singing right in front of you, but close. On the EPH-100s though, I can hear her lips separating to speak at 0:03 clearly, on the DJE-1500's it's a little recessed.
Firebeatz - Bazooka (Original Mix) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svGjewXAq94; 1:00, 2:30
- The slight bump in the highs on the EPH-100s make this kind of hard to listen to. The high end is not tiring on the DJE-1500s.
49ers - I Got The Music (Noise Frenzy Bootleg)  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jjoawdUdIk; 1:31, 1:49
- Vocals (the sample of "high" or something) are forward on this, they're presented in your face. On the EPH-100s, they're more laidback, to the point where the build up doesn't feel as engaging and the drop to the beat is kind of awkward. The bass on this track makes the DJEs wobble a good bit.

Build quality wise, I LOVE these headphones. They're purpose built for DJ'ing. The cable is thick and sturdy, and I appreciate the paracord braid on the lower end of the cable (more durable, less tangles). I like the splitter and keeper as well, and also actually like the fact that the keeper only rides up to the earhook section. It allows me to use it with only one earbud in without any risk of tangling the cables. The earhook isn't the best imo, it hasn't stopped the body from riding down and pushing against me ear, but it's easily/quickly corrected with your finger. Appreciate the red tip on the right earbud as well, it does really help quickly identify the buds in a dark scenario.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #62 of 135
Nice impressions! Seems like they're working out really well for you! :)
And also that they are performing as intended, if not more, as a club/dj earphone.

You mention about feeling the bass on these, is that due to an elevated sub bass region or is it more mid bass? I prefer sub bass a lot therefore I may get them if they have great sub bass extension and quantity.
I was under the impression that these would have more mid bass due to the sealed design, you see I'm no expert but I thought that dynamic drivers needed a port/vent in order to produce sub bass correctly. I may be wrong though :)

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #64 of 135
@Tr1ppy, I think I'm talking about an elevated sub bass region. I don't have a good collection of headphones to really reference from, so I'm not too sure if that's what I'm describing, but comparing this with the EPH-100 it pronounces things below 100Hz or so much more.

For anyone else reading, to clarify, these aren't exactly the clearest IEM's I've heard. I'm tempted to say they sound a little bit muffled, but that's probably because the yamahas have a slight bump in the highs and the DJE's instead have a bump in the bass. Regardless, they make some tracks, especially deep house tracks, sound right : Arches - There's A Place (Russ Chimes Remix) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-vCCYhQ0s. I appreciate the relative neutrality of the yamahas and also my Sennheisers, but I have more fun when I'm using the DJE's (which actually encourages me to do more on the mixer, go figure :p)..

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #65 of 135
Tried blocking the vent on the iem and the bass is tighter, but still big. More clarity too. I think it changed the sound very much. Anybody can try this and tell if they experience the same results?

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #66 of 135
Definitely changes the sound. I personally like the bass though so doing the tape off. But a simple way to tone it down.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #67 of 135
Huh? I thought the 1500 was a sealed iem? Only the 2000 version has a vent (or two) no?

Maybe this goes to explain why you guys are hearing a nice elevated, and extended sub bass from the 1500. I like! :)

However I would like to know if the 1500 leak a lot of sound when playing music at average to above average listening levels? Maybe this can be tested by blocking the nozzle (not the vent) with your fingertip to simulate an in-ear situation.
Thanks

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #68 of 135
Ok forget the blocking the vent trick. It's no good.

These earphones loves dark or warm sounding source. My DX50 with a darker sounding firmware seems to help keeping away the harshness or sibilance. And they need a bit of burn in to help too.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #69 of 135
Amazon is selling them for under $140 so I went ahead and bit. Should be interesting to tide me over while I collect funds for * (one of the following: IE 800, Velvet, or SD-3s).

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #71 of 135
Amazon is selling them for under $140 so I went ahead and bit. Should be interesting to tide me over while I collect funds for * (one of the following: IE 800, Velvet, or SD-3s).

i have one on the way too, hopefully they live up to the hype

Great stuff! I too am seriously considering these as Amazon US have the white ones (my preferred colour! :) ) for less than $125.

When you guys receive them can you please comment on the comfort of the fit, whether ear up or down. It seems that the rear of the housing, where it goes to a "tear-drop" shape, would touch/rub against ones outer ear and give discomfort?

Cheers

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #72 of 135

Great stuff! I too am seriously considering these as Amazon US have the white ones (my preferred colour! :) ) for less than $125.

When you guys receive them can you please comment on the comfort of the fit, whether ear up or down. It seems that the rear of the housing, where it goes to a "tear-drop" shape, would touch/rub against ones outer ear and give discomfort?

Cheers

Actually, for me at least, that keeps them seated in my ears. Without it, I think they would move around too much. Worn down, you won't even notice it.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #73 of 135
The housing actually has an adjustable feature for over ear or hanging straight down and it works very well. These are quite comfortable in my experience.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #74 of 135
Thanks guys! I guess they are a feature designed to enhance comfort then.

Merry xmas to you all!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #75 of 135
The housing actually has an adjustable feature for over ear or hanging straight down and it works very well. These are quite comfortable in my experience.

Yeah, this is actually what caught my attention and why I didn't just jump straight to the major leagues. I have high hopes for the comfort on these headphones and if it works out I would love to see TOTL universals implant a similar design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back