Pioneer new DJ In-Ear Headphones DJE-2000 and DJE-1500
Jul 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #31 of 135
Between your comments and review and Tinyman I am glad I went the 1500 route. While I will never know what the difference in sound is between the 2 IEMs I know I am enjoying the heck out of the 1500 and have a sneaking suspicion I would not be enjoying the 2000. So I get to save money and have a signature I really like. I have a draft of my review just about complete and these will be my highest rating for an IEM I have ever given. They actually forced me to go back through my current reviews and adjust my scores... Note: the score will reflect that these fit my tastes perfectly but will explain why so people not as enamored with certain aspects of what I enjoy won't be fooled into thinking these will work for them as well as they do for me.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #32 of 135
Between your comments and review and Tinyman I am glad I went the 1500 route. While I will never know what the difference in sound is between the 2 IEMs I know I am enjoying the heck out of the 1500 and have a sneaking suspicion I would not be enjoying the 2000. So I get to save money and have a signature I really like. I have a draft of my review just about complete and these will be my highest rating for an IEM I have ever given. They actually forced me to go back through my current reviews and adjust my scores... Note: the score will reflect that these fit my tastes perfectly but will explain why so people not as enamored with certain aspects of what I enjoy won't be fooled into thinking these will work for them as well as they do for me.

Can you compare the DJE1500 to the 7550 in your review?
Can you use the DJE1500 for monitoring purposes too?
Thanks.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #33 of 135
I will have a section comparing it to other IEM a bit. Since I no longer own the 7550 I can only go by memory. Based on that:
1. The bass of the DJE1500 is slightly heavier and deeper extending than the 7550. It consequently is more prominent but is modified by tips with Sony hybrids giving the heaviest darkest sound and UE tips giving the least bass while the stock tips are in the middle. The bass may be to heavy for some in comparison to the 7550. It will depend on if you have the 7550 and want more bass or not.

2. The midrange is slightly warmer but just as prominent as the 7550.

3. The treble is more extended especially with UE tips. With Sony tips the treble is more like the 7550 though.

4. Sound stage is similarly sized while imaging may be slightly better on the DJE1500 (very close though so may be to hard to say for sure from memory).

5. Isolation is better on the DJE and they also do not suffer from wind noise like the 7550 does. Ergonomics are also much easier on the DJE.

Not sure about monitoring purposes as I do not use my gear for that purpose.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #34 of 135
I don't have my UE900 on hand to do a comparison but did a quick comparison to the UE600 focusing on vocals and midrange since that is the UE600 strength.

Lorena Mckennit sounded somewhat similar on both units, they both were in a similar level of forward position. The UE600 was a tad sweeter and had more cavern like / 3D sound, UE also was slightly more detailed. DJE was more rounded in the bass and treble department and while slightly less detailed had a much more cohesive sound that was more musical.

Neil Diamond - the UE600 was a bit more forward and again more detailed in the midrange.DJE was almost dead flat between the vocals, the bass, and the treble. The cohesiveness was very complete and enjoyable.

In both songs I preferred the sound stage and imaging of the DJE more than the UE600.

Comfort was similar but I would give the slight end to the UE600, they both had about the same level of isolation.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #35 of 135
Great impressions, sounds like the 1500s are a hit!

Being a bit of a basshead I'd like to know how the 1500s/2000s compare to other hybrids such as the dunu 1000, and T-Peos' newcomer the Altone200, in the bass department.

Most specifically I'm after sub-bass rumble but it has to be good quality sub-bass which is fairly tight and well textured (if that makes sense!)
I listen to a lot of DnB and deep house.

I don't mind paying the premium for the dje 2000s if they can offer well extended sub-bass that has a lot of rumble and is well textured.
Also apologies of this has been mentioned before but can the 2000s be worn straight down?

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #36 of 135
I don't think the 2000 have the same dial mechanism for wearing them down but I have worn my 1500 down with using that setting so may possibly work. Unfortunately I do not listen to the music you like so am not sure how the 1500 would work. I find the bass very satisfying for sub bass , texture, and control though. I hit the occasional song where the bass has a bit of a drone like quality in the song for those rare tunes the bass can be slightly over cooked but I believe the songs are as much to blame as the IEM.

I have never heard a bass slanted IEM sound so good with classical music though, kettle drums and cellos are simply amazing while the rest of the orchestra and any vocals are equally as good.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #37 of 135
Here is a copy of my review of the DJE1500

Over the years I have owned and reviewed a number of IEM's and headphones, being a positive person my reviews generally err on the side of generosity. This IEM forced me to go back through my reviews and adjust my ratings. The overall package and sound of the DJE1500 required it to be separated from everything else or I wouldn't be doing it justice. It is the first 5 star rating I have ever given. Now this doesn't mean I might not hear another IEM that is better but as of now it is the best dynamic based IEM I have heard, PERIOD... Now having said that I want to remind everyone that it is the perfect IEM sound for me not everyone else. For people wanting massive bass these won't do, similarly for those who love bright, or detail above all else again this IEM will not meet your needs. But for anyone wanting a good healthy dose of ALL OF THE ABOVE I think you might find the DJE1500 fits the bill.

Accessories:
As far as accessories goes you get the standard combinations of silicone single flange tips, and one set of Comply tips with the wax catcher. While the included tips work I am not a huge fan of Comply tips and found the bullet shape of the default tips not super suited for my ears. So I ended up testing Sony hybrid or UE wide mouth tips with great success. The Sony tip will give you a darker more subdued midrange and treble sound compared to the original tips while the UE tip allows more midrange and treble detail through.

This IEM uses the same detachable cable system as Shure, UE900, and several other manufacturers which will allow for cheap 3rd party cable replacements or expensive high end cable alternatives. Personally I have tried the UE900 blue iPhone cable and a Samsung S4/5 Android cable successfully but both reduced the treble detail detracting from the IEM sound, but may be perfect for anyone who find treble energy to tiring. In regards to the original cable, it offers a slightly to long a cable for portable use but is manageable due to it's extremely soft cloth covering and soft easy to manage memory wire section, it looks damn near perfect for the intended DJ audience. I have to say the quality of this cable out ways any length or non mic qualms I have. It sounds fantastic and works well on my home desktop rig as well as off my LG G2 phone. Microphonics are not perfect but above average in my opinion. The original cable may never have to be "upgraded" for users looking for just a straight stereo connection. I have actually ordered a $90 upgrade Samsung Android cable in the hopes I can get the same quality of sound as the original cable while having the controls and mic on my phone because I couldn't accept the difference in quality from my existing 3rd party cables vs the original.

Design

One thing I really find cool about this IEM is it's ability to transform from an over ear to a regular down ear IEM. It accomplishes this through a dial that allows you to adjust where the cable is positioned in regards to the IEM's shape. Here are some pictures of the various positions.

Sound

So how does it sound? In one word FANTASTIC!

I have owned a plethora of high end IEM's over the years ranging from the Sennheiser IE8, UE Triple-fi 10, UE900, Earsonics SM3, Sony MDR 7550, Sony EX1000, Sony XBA-H1/H3, Sony XBA3, and more. Almost all of these have been sold by me because of one short coming or another that just started to bother me. Some had great detail but were two fatiguing or lacked bass presence, others had amazing sound stages but at the expense of the midrange, some had almst everything right sonically but were ergonomically challenging or susceptible to wind noise while out and about.
The DJE1500 has managed to fit almost every single check mark I want in an IEM and where it falls down simple manageable 3rd party accessories can address the problem.

Bass - The bass in these is north of neutral but in a very expansive and enjoyable way. It does not just have massive bass slam which can be fatiguing and it manages to have great texture and decay so other instruments like Cello's, bass guitars, and the lowest registers of a piano sound wonderful while still making drums sound awesome. The only music I find the bass a bit over cooked is electronic sub bass. The bass of the DJE1500 is not overly mid-bass or sub-bass oriented but fairly linear albeit slightly boosted over the other ranges.

Midrange - The midrange is nicely neutral to maybe ever so slightly forward. Tip choice can affect the upper midrange though. When using UE tips for example some artists who strongly enunciate S's can come across as borderline sibilant but with the default tips or the Sony hybrids this is not an issue. I find the midrange to be engaging and detailed but never so detailed or analytical as to be boring.

Treble - The treble is clear and detailed especially with the UE tips but never fatiguing in my experience. I love how instruments like cymbals are reproduced. They have nice sizzle and crash without becoming strident or shouty. The treble is about in the same place audibly as the midrange.

Sound Stage and imaging - The sound stage and imaging of this headphone is simply off the charts. It is in the same range as the best Sony IEM's and the IE8 but without the veiled midrange of the IE8 or the wind noise and quirky ergonomic issues of the Sony's and the IE8. I was continually amazed at how drawn into classical music I was with these. The sound stage was nice and broad with good depth and fantastic instrument placement. I was similarly impressed with well done classic rock, jazz, Celtic, and other genres. This IEM reminded me why I like this area so much.

Final Thoughts

This IEM while not necessarily better than the IEM's I have mentioned has for me struck the best balance of detail, sonic signature, imaging, sound stage, ergonomics,  build quality, and after market component options to get a perfect 5 star rating. In regards to the Sony IEM's in particular this IEM sounds the closest to the MDR-7550 but with deeper harder hitting bass and better treble, a perfect blend between the EX1000 and the 7550. When I bought the Sony XBA-H1 and H3 I was hoping both would be what the DJE1500 ultimately is in this regard.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #38 of 135
Took the android cable I initially bought for the 1500 and tried them on my old mostly defunct SE215 and was pleasantly surprised that they most worked as compared to mostly NOT working with the original cables.

So a brief comparison.

The SE215 and DJE1500 have a bit of similarity (both are warm midrange oriented signatures). But the 1500 is definitely not as warm/lush sounding and is slightly less forward in the mids and more revealing versus smooth or lush. The bass is a bit heavier and more impact full than the 215 while having better definition and refinement. The treble of the 1500 is definitely more detailed, present and brighter while not being sibilant. The 1500 also has as good as or better sound stage and imaging.

So overall, if the areas I mentioned are areas you wish the 215 was better at, then the 1500 might be a great upgrade to consider assuming you would be OK the change in the midrange.

Before I forget, the SE215 is still an isolation giant and easily bests the 1500 in that area. I also think the 215 may be more comfortable so long as it fits. If the 215 is to big for the outer ear the 1500 may be a better choice in this regard though.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #39 of 135
Great review dweaver! In fact so much so that I bought myself a pair. For a single dynamic driver I find them to be quite detailed, even compared to my other iems, which are mostly multi-BAs, but without the coherence and phase issues those can present. In fact, they are fighting with my W40s for listening time. I'd be curious to see what you think of them vis-a-vis the XBA-H1s. I bought some while I was waiting for the DJE1500s to arrive. I'll never listen to the Sonys as much because of their ergonomic issues (especially under a helmet) but I like them more the more I listen to them. I think its time for a shootout! Thanks for your time.

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #40 of 135
I have both and have made some general comparisons. The H1 is darker sounding and a bit more V shaped I think. Over all I prefer the 1500 but do enjoy the H1 as well.

I will see if I can do an AB test of a few songs sometime over the next few days.

The 1500 is still my goto IEM.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #41 of 135
Quote:
I have both and have made some general comparisons. The H1 is darker sounding and a bit more V shaped I think. Over all I prefer the 1500 but do enjoy the H1 as well.

I will see if I can do an AB test of a few songs sometime over the next few days.

The 1500 is still my goto IEM.

So far, I agree. The 1500s are more comfortable for me and easier to wear for a longer period of time. Soundwise, the Sonys seem a little more laid back, with a little less forward midrange, especially the high midrange, which with the 1500s can be a little strident with certain source material. I can definitely see how the 1500s would be good for classical music and acoustic music. The soundstage is probably the most enjoyable of any iem I'v ever owned. The Sonys have more bass. but can also be a little loose, where the 1500s are always tight and controlled.  Detail and isolation both favor the 1500s too, but the Sonys are more forgiving of lower bitrate souces. I am by no means a basshead, ( my first iems were Etymotic er6s), and still enjoy a flatter signature and therefore would choose the 1500s if forced to keep only one, but thankfully I don't have to choose, since they are both so reasonably priced. In fact, my experience with these iems has been very eye-opening. It's amazing to me how much better dynamic-driver iems have gotten in the past 5-10 years. I had pretty much given up on dynamics as I just couldn't get the detail retrieval I wanted from my iems with the dynamics I tried. Moreover, the fact that I got two pair of iems that I'm enjoying so much for half the list price of my w40s is very surprising to me. They still have some advantages over either the 1500s or the H1s, but enjoyment per dollar is definitely not one of them.

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 135
Agree with you 100%. I have a pair of UE900 and while I enjoy them for what they do that my dynamic based are no try able to do, their cost to performance ratio makes it difficult for to justify them.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #44 of 135
I listen to a bit of old heavy metal like Led Zeppelin and the 1500 sounds great but I can't speak alot about that genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back