Pioneer new DJ In-Ear Headphones DJE-2000 and DJE-1500
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 135

John Culter

100+ Head-Fier
Today Pioneer introduced the new and versatile DJE-2000 and DJE-1500 in-ear headphones.
The suggested retail prices for the DJE-2000 are €299 / £239 / $359.
The suggested retail prices for the DJE-1500 are €159 / £ 139 / $189.

The DJE-2000s feature a hybrid two-way driver system comprising a dynamic driver – with large 9.4mm apertures and rare earth magnets – and a balanced armature driver, to produce a rich bass and clear mid range to treble. And the over-ear structure is crafted from shape-memory resin to ensure DJs’ comfort over long periods.

The DJE-1500s use a single dynamic driver to give a rich bass, plus ceramic-coated tremblers and lightweight CCAW voice coils ensure a wide frequency response. The rotatable earpiece housing lets DJs choose between over-ear and normal in-ear wearing styles, or switch between the two for different uses.

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/headphone/dje-2000.html

DJE-2000: FEATURES AT A GLANCE

1. Hybrid two-way driver system for superior sound quality:
    − Dynamic driver with 9.4mm aperture and rare earth magnets for a rich bass.
    − Balanced armature driver produces clear mid to high frequencies.
  2. Secure over-ear structure uses shape-memory resin to provide excellent hold and maximum comfort.
  3. Polyurethane ear bud tips (S/M/L) ensure a snug fit and superior noise cancellation.
  4. Highly durable, detachable cable features textile coating to reduce tangling.
  5. Silicone ear bud tips (XS/S/M/L) and triple flange earpiece tips are also provided.
  6. Available in black (DJE-2000-K) or white (DJE-2000-W)

DJE-1500: FEATURES AT A GLANCE

1. Dynamic driver with large 9.4mm aperture for a rich bass sound.
  2. Ceramic powder-coated tremblers and lightweight CCAW voice coils produce a clearmid range to treble.
  3. Choice of wearing styles: in-ear or over-ear.
  4. Polyurethane ear bud tips (M) ensure a snug fit and superior noise cancellation.
  5. Highly durable, detachable cable features textile coating to reduce tangling.
  6. Silicone ear bud tips (XS/S/M/L) are also provided.
  7. Available in black (DJE-1500-K) or white (DJE-1500-W)

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 135
Got the e-mail from Pioneer and they look really sweet! Need to know exact pricing though (in CAD), hope they aren't too costy! 
etysmile.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 135
It depends.. :wink: The suggested retail prices for the DJE-2000 are €299 / £239 / $359.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 135
I should update you guys here while I'm free for a little while.  I should be getting a pair of these in on Friday this week.  The DJE-2000 that is.  Will give more information then :)

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 135
Quick impressions of these show them to be a warm, lush, easy-going sound.  The bass is elevated but well controlled that is thick with a strong impact and thorough punch (quantity similar to that of the Westone W4R).  Subbass is textured well with an almost euphoric feel to them.  Mids are lush and warm as stated before.  Not the best detailing, not the worse.  Vocals have good dynamics to them and are quite inviting.  Treble is a little more laid back being soft, but well detailed with great separation.  I do wish for a little better extension and air, but overall, the treble is soft in texture and detailed quite well without offending one bit.

Quite honestly, I can this as being another IEM that doesn't do much wrong, but won't excel at much either.

Measurement-wise, they look closer to something like a Westone W4R with a smaller spike at the 10 khz range.  It's also a little more linear as well. 

Non-sonic stuff below:
  1. Ergonomics are quite nice, they fit comfortably and easily.  Several tips included, silicone XS, S, M, L; triple flange M; Comply Foam S, M, L (they are the model with the filter on them to block wax and other debris).  They can be worn up or down, I recommend going up.
  2. The memory wire warps quickly and easily, it can be a drawback at times.  It doesn't entirely keep memory...
  3. Cable feels amazing...  A fabric cable that doesn't kink...  A first that I've seen. 
  4. Headphone jack is quite large, so if you're running these off of a phone with a case, beware.
  5. Pictures to come

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 135
Cool, thanks for the impressions. Like the look of some of the new Pioneer stuff and have used them as my avatars recently.

Might I ask if this was a new pair or some hours been put on them. Could make a bit of difference but probably not that much. Sounds like they did a great job on these, making them for real DJ's hence the plug can't be tiny and they are going to be a do nothing wrong, easy on the ears sound. DJ's don't want too much detail or that much air.

Sounds like an interesting offering for a couple of reasons. A bit of research may find the right cable to bring better bandwidth and some treble, detail and air on that end. That graph and your impressions seem to indicate they are amenable to it with the smoothness and lack of peaks. Maybe a bit of air and liveliness and bringing out the extra detail could make them less DJ and more a personal listening phone(at least to my tastes). Also, Best Buy has many of the Pioneer DJ products, so if they end up carrying these, there should be some good pricing in the future.

Sound like they have some potential at this point. Also sounds a bit like the description of the TDK BA200. Wonder how the two would compare?

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 135
  Cool, thanks for the impressions. Like the look of some of the new Pioneer stuff and have used them as my avatars recently.

Might I ask if this was a new pair or some hours been put on them. Could make a bit of difference but probably not that much. Sounds like they did a great job on these, making them for real DJ's hence the plug can't be tiny and they are going to be a do nothing wrong, easy on the ears sound. DJ's don't want too much detail or that much air.

Sounds like an interesting offering for a couple of reasons. A bit of research may find the right cable to bring better bandwidth and some treble, detail and air on that end. That graph and your impressions seem to indicate they are amenable to it with the smoothness and lack of peaks. Maybe a bit of air and liveliness and bringing out the extra detail could make them less DJ and more a personal listening phone(at least to my tastes). Also, Best Buy has many of the Pioneer DJ products, so if they end up carrying these, there should be some good pricing in the future.

Sound like they have some potential at this point. Also sounds a bit like the description of the TDK BA200. Wonder how the two would compare?

If I had the BA200, I'd compare them for you.  I will be comparing these to quite a few IEMs though, some heavy weights, some lighter weights all between the 200-600 dollar price range. 

These are just about brand new out of box (maybe had 3 hours of burn in at time of impressions). 

May 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 135
I was intrigued by this yet another "hybrid" design and considering its price won't quite break the bank I got it for the purpose of the very humble playlist of electronic music (not a genre I care too much about)

I agreed with tinyman's initial impression: it offers little "wow" factor except maybe the rather well-textured and punchy bass, but it does nothing wrong. Dun expect metallic shimmer, but the highs are there.

What impresses me most are (1) its coherency and (2) its quite linear bass. I have tried all of the more audiophile-oriented hybrids and all except the K3003 has coherency issues that I couldn't put a blind eye on. Either there are strange dips in some of the frequency range, or the timbre of different ranges sound just too contrasting even for the same vocal or same piece of instrument. The DJE2000s are pretty much free from these problems, and even with the clearly elevated bass sound pretty natural all over the board. And there's no obvious humps throughout the bass range, which helps a lot in presenting a strong bass without being messy.

Unless you are a DJ I don't think the DJE2000 can be the end all IEM but it nonetheless serves its purpose really well, with some surprise extras.

One minor gripe: Pioneer are you kidding me with that triple flange? It is marked as M size but Jeez its not much thicker than a Q-tip..........who's gonna get a seal out of these?!

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 135
Hi all,

I just picked-up a pair of DJE-2000's (they are 30 Ohm).
I've had them for about 8 hours now ...

Why did I pick-up these ... because they where the only nice, high quality and high-end in-ear phones they had in the shop.
(I thought of purchasing the Shure SE535, but no shop had them ... maybe I'll get them later .... any input on that?)

(I'm not an audiophile but I'm looking to build up ....)

Kit, so you know where I come from:
   Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm
   AKG K551 38 Ohm
   iPod Classic 160GB
   In my PC, ASUS Xonar Xence (can drive up to 600 Ohm without problem)
   FIIO E18 Amp/DAC for Android, PC and Mac (in combination with Samsung Galaxy 5S) + 30pin L-Cable for my iPod
   (I use the FIIO E18 as USB OTG DAC + Amp on the Samsung S5)

Construction:
Well build, solid. The drivers are a bit big for my ears, on the left side the housing touches my ear (when worn over the ear).
(after 30min ... i changed to waring them to simply down .... that was more comfortable for me)

The right driver is colored a strong red. I can imagine that this is for bad light conditions (seen directed at DJ's).

The cable is of great quality. Braided material. Soft and very flexible.
There is also a hold-back sliding block on the cable to secure it behind your head (over-ear), or avoid cable mess.
Also, no feedback at all when you move the cable, even when vigorously hitting, tapping the cable.
The cable is detachable.

Contents of packaging:
Clean and nicely make packaging. Easy to open without ripping paper of whatever.

- 6mm Jack converter with threading.
- Number of silicon and foam tips (3 of each) in a little plastic bag ... so they are all deformed when you take them out.
  The foam tipped ones have small filters in them.
- Small brush for cleaning.
- Hard carrying case in rubberized / fake leather material, closed with a zipper. Case feels very solid, about the size of a hand palm (without the fingers).

Sound:
As I'm looking for a correct and 'perfect' sound these have to much bass, the highs are a bit muted.
I use them in combination with my S5 + PowerAmp Pro + E18, I used the EQ in PowerAmp to tune out the heavy bass.
Tuned 31, 62, 125 Hz lower, 4K, 8K, 16K higher ... that makes them almost flat (i think, also seen the graph posted above).

Once tuned in, i found it is very nice sound, even great! Very Detailed.
You can hear vibrations in detail (ex with cello, alt violin), you can hear the striker landing on the strings.
On a bit of volume Hilary Hahn sounded out of this world... fantastic.
The stronger, punchy bass makes that you can listen at low volumes and not miss the lows.

They require a bit of push to get them loud (I have them on High Gain on the FIIO E18).
I don't know if a regular phone would get enough volume for all users.

Music used to listen and evaluate:
Anne Bisson; Blue Mind
Passenger; All the little lights
Simon & Garfunkel; Greatest Hits
Piano Guys; Hits Vol. 1

Red Army Choir; Russian Favorites

Vivaldi; Le Quattro Stagioni (Claudio Abbado)
Keith Jarrett; The Köln Concert
Hilary Hahn; Bach Partitas for Solo Violin
Alf Linder; Cantate Domino (from propius)

Armin Van Buuren; A State of Trance 2014
Milk Inc; The Best Of

That is all ...
(if you have feedback, also on the Shure SE535 or other suggestions .... please let me know)

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 135
Decided to pick up a pair of the DJE1500 since the DJE2000 just didn't sound worth the price of admission.

Also I did a quick comparison of the 1500 vs 2000 full size headphone and liked the 1500 more so am hoping the DJE1500 will be more like the 1500 full size. BTW the 2000 full size was warm sounding with rolled off treble where as the 1500 seemed to have better mids and treble.

Sitting in my car after the purchase and so far I am glad I mad the choice I did. The 1500 out of the box is a bit to bassy but I like the mids and treble. I will have to burnin these and play around with the tips and the 2 positions but I have a feeling these are going to be exceptionally good. I will also try my shire and UE cables on them to give myself a mic for my phone.

BTW the cable on these feels extremely well made, I will see if the cloth is micrphonic when I go for a walk later.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 135
Just tried the UE900 blue iPhone cable and it worked perfectly. So UE and Share cables with be an option on these headphones.

So far the DJE1500 is impressing me. It offers a gently rolled off treble that still manages to be detailed. This will be a very good IEM for anyone who struggles with treble energy or finds to much "detail" in this area to be distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back