Pictures of your speaker setup!
Jun 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #91 of 206
got a pair of klipsch rb 81iis for now with a cheapo celestion av1000 reciever... will add them to my future upcoming 5.2 or 7.2 hometheater... i am looking for an awesome projector and a klipsch rf 7ii pair for fronts with rc 64ii as center and the most powerful couple of subs that i can afford... 

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #92 of 206
Are you guys supplementing your speakers with infrasonic units?

The question of speaker bass has plagued my mind after hearing headphones that can extend to 20hz with ease.  I went about answering this question via experimentation and modifications of my speaker systems...after the disastrous effort of trying to mimic the HD650 sound many years ago with a hometheatre setup I gave up.  I couldn't integrate the sub correctly.  It is now 2014 and the mission now is made harder because the reference moved to the LCD2 original headphone.

And, I think I have cracked it...but, Srajean of Six moon cracked it open back in 2013 and it was all written down in his review of the Zu Audio Submission bass unit.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu22/1.html

I think everyone should read it.  What he describes is exactly what I hear.  It serves as the definitive tutorial on bass management, having not read that article until today, I am astounded at how my parrallel path has met exactly at a tangent with a virtual mirror experience, subjevtively speaking of course.

What is blatantly obvious to me now, is that amongst all audio reviews....all, pro audio and hi fi, bloody no one other than Tyll and Srajaen, has acknowledged one very important scientific fact.  The Fletcher Munson Curve.

Look at that curve and pay attention to where the 20hz end is pointing.  My Boss Audio BX 55 crossover had all the tools I needed.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #93 of 206
Speaking of bass, I added a Seaton Submersive HP+ subwoofer to the mix.  Absolutely demon of a sub both in sound (and in wallet).  It goes in the theater room although it's getting testing duties in the living room at the moment.  It sits next to my other sub the Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #95 of 206
Mark Seaton is a Master Class subwoofer designer. I would love one of his big boomers for my home.

yes I agree

The other sub there is an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and by no means is it a small sub (in sound nor size).  I finally got a chance to jam out the new sub in my theater room (150" projector screen etc.) and my jaw just pretty much hit the floor.  I watched How to Train Your Dragon and all the explosions and rumbles literally hit you in the chest and rocked (not vibrated), rocked the couch.  You can really feel the low frequency effects with that sub it's out of this world.  

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #96 of 206
My 10year olds room...
It's a Technics HD502 in MINT condition, he tape deck sounds like it's new lol. Anyway, this is his first proper hifi.
Now he wants a turntable, gonna have to get creative as you can see space is something that isn't in abundance here!

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #97 of 206
My 10year olds room...
It's a Technics HD502 in MINT condition, he tape deck sounds like it's new lol. Anyway, this is his first proper hifi.
Now he wants a turntable, gonna have to get creative as you can see space is something that isn't in abundance here!

Sweet setup. I can remember when I was a nipper and never having anything remotely hi-fi in my bedroom, just old cassette player and AM radio.

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #98 of 206
Jul 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #99 of 206
I regret selling my tapes because I had some rare stuff. I think some people use tapes still, which there's nothing wrong with tapes except convenience. Sound great IMO too. Analogue vs digital I don't like to debate, I'll let the next generation do that. I do have a tripple head sansui in storage too. But no tapes.

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #100 of 206
Recently was gifted used speakers. Roland Edirol MA-15D. I was not very familiar with the product, let alone speakers. 

PC > Digital Coaxial > Meier Audio Daccord > MA-15D

My previous desktop speakers were very cheap Yamaha ones bought at least a decade ago. Light years difference from them. I do sense the difference in imaging between headphones and speakers. Tbh it was an amazing sensation feeling my music collection on the whole body as opposed to just in the head. I can imagine high end speakers being out of this world!!

Early impressions, but I do notice that the sound signature is warm. You can crank up both the bass and treble, though I've left it stock. It has an inbuilt 24/192 dac (which I think I'm bypassing) and a decent headphone output jack. 

Sorry for the bad picture, I only have a phone camera. (Also yes, I drink a lot of coffee) 

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #101 of 206
  Recently was gifted used speakers. Roland Edirol MA-15D. I was not very familiar with the product, let alone speakers. 

PC > Digital Coaxial > Meier Audio Daccord > MA-15D

My previous desktop speakers were very cheap Yamaha ones bought at least a decade ago. Light years difference from them. I do sense the difference in imaging between headphones and speakers. Tbh it was an amazing sensation feeling my music collection on the whole body as opposed to just in the head. I can imagine high end speakers being out of this world!!

Early impressions, but I do notice that the sound signature is warm. You can crank up both the bass and treble, though I've left it stock. It has an inbuilt 24/192 dac (which I think I'm bypassing) and a decent headphone output jack. 

Sorry for the bad picture, I only have a phone camera. (Also yes, I drink a lot of coffee) 

Nearfield listening is where it's at! It's a whole different experience. Even small speakers with low power when in a nearfield configuration can yield amazing results. I just discovered the joy of nearfield listening this January and I'll never go back. You get all the benefits of speakers, but they are so close to you that you don't get nearly as much room interactions and loss of detail you get with speakers that are several meters away. It's almost like listening to headphones in a way. My whole nearfield rig only cost me $550 but it sounds like it costs so much more, especially after some extensive PEQ work to eliminate peaks and nulls. I have slightly elevated bass(which was done purposely), but after that the response is +/-2db from 180hz all the way up to 16khz where it gently rolls off from there. It sounds extremely detailed(like a good headphone), but still immersive and fun.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #102 of 206
^ I was very surprised at the ability of these modest speakers.

By chance, I had bought the 2009 remasters of Rubber Soul and Revolver which arrived today. I love the albums, but to me they are unlistenable on headphones due to the extreme stereo separation - crossfeed on my dac and amp make it slightly better but it is far from ideal.

It is much better on speakers. 

Though I still regret not researching further and buying the mono versions...

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #103 of 206
How do you guys angle your speakers?  I've followed the consensus of angling them to intersect the toe in in front of the listening position...didn't like how that angling throws me out of the music.  I settled for angling towards the respective ear.  But lately I tried toeing them out even more so they do not intersect within the room.  This gave me the best soundscape, where I am inside the music...on stage with the musicians.  But this seems to be against the grain.  What about you guys, how do you prefer the toe angle?

I think its something to do with half space, or 2 pi....i wanna be inside this area.

Jason b, I agree with the your nearfield assesment, Its all new to me, but it works...

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #104 of 206
  Nearfield listening is where it's at! It's a whole different experience.

+1000
Before I moved, I had a pair of Event Opal active monitors  set up in my workspace. Nothing quite like them. Didn't even need a sub. Sadly, I don't have the space (nor the funds for proper acoustic treatment) at my current residence. My dream nearfield rig would be a pair of ATC SCM25Pro actives.

How do you guys angle your speakers?  I've followed the consensus of angling them to intersect the toe in in front of the listening position...didn't like how that angling throws me out of the music.  I settled for angling towards the respective ear.  But lately I tried toeing them out even more so they do not intersect within the room.  This gave me the best soundscape, where I am inside the music...on stage with the musicians.  But this seems to be against the grain.  What about you guys, how do you prefer the toe angle?

For strict monitoring work, the general consensus is to have the tweeters at ear level. But really, it's best to experiment yourself. If you're not doing any critical monitoring/production work and don't require a ruler flat sound, just play with the angles until you hear what you like best. The sweet-spot varies with speaker. Some speakers have very narrow horizontal sweet-spots but offer a lot of room vertically, while some speakers are the opposite.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #105 of 206
Here's other parts of my theater room in progress.  I posted one photo of the sub a week or so ago.  Here's the other speakers and my work in progress...

Theater room...
Aperion Grand Verus Towers x2
Aperion Grand Verus Center x1
Aperion Grand Forte Satellites x4
Seaton Submersive HP+

Living Room
PSB Image T6
Rest not pictured: Image C5 center, Polk RC85i in wall surrounds

Here's the theater speakers (left Aperion Grand Verus) and my living room speakers (right PSB Image T6) side by side.  

The Seaton Submersive HP+.  I can't believe how much low end extension and power this thing has.  Literally rocks the entire couch.  Who needs buttkickers? :)

Still setting up it's operational but in beta.  Took this photo before I installed the subwoofer behind the right speaker but gives an idea of the setup. 150" screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back