Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Mar 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #2,716 of 37,647
Hey longbowbbs,

Quote:
You are portable like I am, Mike. Nothing like bring the good HP's on the road. How is the Centrence in the chain?

I had sold my first DACport LX when I bought the DACmini CX, but then I missed it!  It's so much nicer than the sigma-delta DAC in my Sony PMC-M10 (less grainy and not as bright), that I decided to buy it again to add to my "travel kit" - for use whenever I was also carrying a laptop.  

I honestly believe that the DACport LX will remain as one of the best choices among USB-powered, portable DACs for quite some time - despite all the recent buzz that began with the Audioquest Dragonfly, and more recently, the Meridian Explorer and HRT Microstreamer.  The fact that the DACport LX isn't getting any press, relatively speaking, doesn't diminish my appreciation.  It's awesome.  I rest it on a finned, aluminum heat sink to keep it cool - hopefully to get a few more years out of it than I would otherwise.  It runs very warmly in Class A, without the heat sink.

Mike

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,717 of 37,647
I love this!

I was just having fun with the Shuffle-LCD2 picture :)

But seriously, It is one of the few iPods that can sound good un-amped - thanks to the push and pull OPamp - though it couldn't drive the LCD2 properly, it works well with my SM3. Sound is solid, clean and flat with a touch of warmth.

Always my favorite sounding IPod! They still sell em on EBay!

Yes, I got it used for about $12. But I needed to solder the HP jack a little. It was cutting in and out. Now it works flawlessly. :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,718 of 37,647
Quote:
Hey longbowbbs,

Quote:
You are portable like I am, Mike. Nothing like bring the good HP's on the road. How is the Centrence in the chain?

I had sold my first DACport LX when I bought the DACmini CX, but then I missed it!  It's so much nicer than the sigma-delta DAC in my Sony PMC-M10 (less grainy and not as bright), that I decided to buy it again to add to my "travel kit" - for use whenever I was also carrying a laptop.  

I honestly believe that the DACport LX will remain as one of the best choices among USB-powered, portable DACs for quite some time - despite all the recent buzz that began with the Audioquest Dragonfly, and more recently, the Meridian Explorer and HRT Microstreamer.  The fact that the DACport LX isn't getting any press, relatively speaking, doesn't diminish my appreciation.  It's awesome.  I rest it on a finned, aluminum heat sink to keep it cool - hopefully to get a few more years out of it than I would otherwise.  It runs very warmly in Class A, without the heat sink.

Mike

Very nice! I really enjoy the Dragonfly, but Centrence seems to makes great gear. I am bout done with gear for awhile. I know I will be using the HP-P1 for some time. Good gear lasts as long as we don't keep tumbling to the FOTM chase...

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2,720 of 37,647

iPod Classic 2009 --> Custom Nordost LOD --> FiiO E11 --> Supra OFC 3,5 mm interconnect --> Focal Spirit One 

A pretty versatile rig, works good both at home and on the go. I must say the Spirit One is underrepresented in this thread, it's actually a very decent headphone, at least in my opinion...

Cable change from the Spirit One's original cable with iPhone remote stepped up the quality a bit with more clarity and detail :)

( And yes, I removed the protection for the volume knob since I don't think it's needed and it gets quite a bit easier to change volume! )

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,721 of 37,647
Quote:
Very nice! I really enjoy the Dragonfly, but Centrence seems to makes great gear. I am bout done with gear for awhile. I know I will be using the HP-P1 for some time. Good gear lasts as long as we don't keep tumbling to the FOTM chase...

Truer words have never been spoken, and words I keep repeating to myself during this, my renewed interest in all things audio after several years totally away from it all.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,722 of 37,647
Quote:

On vacation in Navarre Beach, Florida - here's my travel rig:  

WAV on SD Cards > Windows 7 > Foobar w/WASAPI > DACport LX (sitting on a heat sink) >  16VDC external battery powered iBasso PB2 Pelican with LME49990s and HA5002 buffers > balanced Toxic Cables Silver Poision > LCD-2 rev.1 

It's 64-degrees, windy and overcast at Navarre Beach, today.   I'm hanging out indoors while the girls are out "shopping."  During the day, the Pensacola Beach spring break crowd is no doubt wishing they had gone farther south - but the weather surely isn't dampening anyone's evening agendas.  
smile.gif

Mike

Very nice, very nice indded Mike

beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,723 of 37,647
Quote:
Quote:

Truer words have never been spoken, and words I keep repeating to myself during this, my renewed interest in all things audio after several years totally away from it all.

That was me about 18 months ago....Finally getting the equilibrium back...
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2,726 of 37,647
Just finished reading this entire thread, mostly for inspiration on my next steps.

I recently got my trusty Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) back from my son when I upgraded his phone.

Samsung Vibrant+ voodoo sound+ Neutron -> SE215
IMG_20130310_222131_zpsf993c108.jpg

Not pictured: B&W P5's I rarely use. I paid $25 direct from B&W US brand new, and for the last 6 months my wife has been using them.

Next steps:
Planning on Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), Fiio E12 (to cover future IEM/Headphone upgrades) and a proper armband to keep it all in reach and out of pocket.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #2,727 of 37,647
Quote:
Just finished reading this entire thread, mostly for inspiration on my next steps.

I recently got my trusty Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) back from my son when I upgraded his phone.

Samsung Vibrant+ voodoo sound+ Neutron -> SE215
IMG_20130310_222131_zpsf993c108.jpg

Not pictured: B&W P5's I rarely use. I paid $25 direct from B&W US brand new, and for the last 6 months my wife has been using them.

Next steps:
Planning on Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), Fiio E12 (to cover future IEM/Headphone upgrades) and a proper armband to keep it all in reach and out of pocket.

My philosophy is iems first, then source, then amp.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #2,728 of 37,647
I agree, and would do as such were I single. However, $400+ on new earphones would land me on the couch for quite a while, whereas the relatively cheaper piecemeal purchases I mentioned should raise little suspicion. Bigger purchases must wait for Christmas or anniversary. :wink:

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #2,729 of 37,647
Quote:
I agree, and would do as such were I single. However, $400+ on new earphones would land me on the couch for quite a while, whereas the relatively cheaper piecemeal purchases I mentioned should raise little suspicion. Bigger purchases must wait for Christmas or anniversary.
wink.gif

Like all married headfiers, you have to start working on your justification / excuses. Something like: but my doctor diagnosed me with badsoundophobia, I can only listen to the best....

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,730 of 37,647
I try. Unfortunately, my wife has a rare nervous system disorder which eats up a lot of money.

Years ago I designed and produced a prototype paintball gun. It cost me: her new laptop, camera, a purse or two and many, many shoes. I discovered my key to marital happiness: I can buy anything I want as long as she thinks she's getting the better end of the deal. :p. If I first spend more on her, while quietly mentioning what I'd like to do next time funds free up, she'll be the one encouraging my purchases out of her own guilt. I'm a sick, twisted man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back