Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #421 of 37,644
They really aren't as huge as they look in pictures (on the head I mean). They're also gorgeous. 

Stil considering the new HiFi M8 with a 4 pin DT770 600ohm. That's a killer portable rig.

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #422 of 37,644
Quote:
Heya,

I've played around and finally figured out a good resting place for me and my full-size portable setup. I use this daily pretty much when ever I go some where, even if it's just to the grocery store, campus, or just out to the bistro. I can't wear IEM's, they just bother my ears too much sadly. I don't like on-ears, as they are just annoying to me comfort wise. I like big headphones. I've always enjoyed how they look, how they feel. Style is also important, when it comes to big headphones. I've gone through quite a few headphones (sigh) looking for a sound and feel coupled with a build quality and isolation that would work as a full size portable. I've kayaked in Denon D5000's. But end of the day, the headphone that had all the qualities and look that I wanted, were the Beyer DT770 Premiums. I love the style of them, retro, but metro. Great passive isolation. Lots of room for tinkering which I've done too.

Headphone:

Beyer DT770 Premium

Mods:

I had it custom re-cabled by Brian over at BTG Audio. It has a locking detachable mini-XLR connection (like AKG) with a 4 foot braided sheathed cable that terminates to 3.5mm. I also have another 3 foot extension for home use when needed of the same cable type, as I got it as one big thing so they would match.

The pads are T70 pads, the micro-fiber, not the standard DT series pads. The T70 micro-fiber pads isolate significantly more and have a nice feel to them, the grip of non-slippery fabric, but not the plastic feel of pleather/leather, and not the couch-cushion feel of velour. I actually got the T70's to be a portable, but the sound was not to my liking. So I went for a premium DT770 since they look virtually the same, and stole the micro-fiber pads. Looks and feels like the T70 (I love how it looks), but has the sound of the warmer DT770 which I prefer in every way.

Source:

Sansa Fuze with 32gig MicroSD with all FLAC loaded.
LOD cable of course.
Fiio E11 amplifier.

I have the two units held together with velcro tape, I prefer this to fooling with rubber bands and the like. Holds like a champ.

Pictures: (deleted for bandwidth's sake)

Very best,

That Fuze is a perfect match size-wise for the E11.....a nice tidy portable rig! I have no experience with the Beyers, but all in all a nice looking setup. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #424 of 37,644
Excellent rig MalVeauX!
Those DT770's look great and a normal everyday source and amp to boot. Good to see that a person with your vast knowledge and experience here uses a Sansa & FiiO combo as opposed to some $2000+ source and amp.

Bravo!
:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #427 of 37,644
Quote:
Geez, first post and im called a troll?
frown.gif

Hey now I don't think that. I personally thought it's a valuable contribution. Let's not bring any hate. People share what they wish and that's that :) 
Don't pay too much attention to it champ. Most people are just joking around anyway - it's a bit of a thing to have a negative disposition towards Beats headphones in the HeadFi community.
To each his own :)

What's the amp and source you have there anyway?

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #428 of 37,644
Nov 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #429 of 37,644
Geez, first post and im called a troll? :frowning2:

Take no offence its all in good fun! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #433 of 37,644
Hiya,

Lovely set-up - currently got a similar set up but with just a clip+ using hp out, do you think the fuze and lod gonna be a worthwhile upgrade?

Cheers,

Lee

Quote:
Heya,

I've played around and finally figured out a good resting place for me and my full-size portable setup. I use this daily pretty much when ever I go some where, even if it's just to the grocery store, campus, or just out to the bistro. I can't wear IEM's, they just bother my ears too much sadly. I don't like on-ears, as they are just annoying to me comfort wise. I like big headphones. I've always enjoyed how they look, how they feel. Style is also important, when it comes to big headphones. I've gone through quite a few headphones (sigh) looking for a sound and feel coupled with a build quality and isolation that would work as a full size portable. I've kayaked in Denon D5000's. But end of the day, the headphone that had all the qualities and look that I wanted, were the Beyer DT770 Premiums. I love the style of them, retro, but metro. Great passive isolation. Lots of room for tinkering which I've done too.

Headphone:

Beyer DT770 Premium

Mods:

I had it custom re-cabled by Brian over at BTG Audio. It has a locking detachable mini-XLR connection (like AKG) with a 4 foot braided sheathed cable that terminates to 3.5mm. I also have another 3 foot extension for home use when needed of the same cable type, as I got it as one big thing so they would match.

The pads are T70 pads, the micro-fiber, not the standard DT series pads. The T70 micro-fiber pads isolate significantly more and have a nice feel to them, the grip of non-slippery fabric, but not the plastic feel of pleather/leather, and not the couch-cushion feel of velour. I actually got the T70's to be a portable, but the sound was not to my liking. So I went for a premium DT770 since they look virtually the same, and stole the micro-fiber pads. Looks and feels like the T70 (I love how it looks), but has the sound of the warmer DT770 which I prefer in every way.

Source:

Sansa Fuze with 32gig MicroSD with all FLAC loaded.
LOD cable of course.
Fiio E11 amplifier.

I have the two units held together with velcro tape, I prefer this to fooling with rubber bands and the like. Holds like a champ.
Very best,

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #434 of 37,644

anyone can recommend an Amped Grado Sr80i iPod Video setup?

if you have the following amp/s paired with the Grado Sr80i please respond.

how much do they improve with a:
1)Headroom Total Airhead portable amp
2)Fiio E11
3)BBlabs Homemade CMOY Altoids amp
4)Gary's Electric Avenue PA2V2    <<

i've been thinking in an amp lately.
its not needed with Grado sr80i's but im thinking in one to improve some bits of sound, besides Bass. i dont need more bass

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #435 of 37,644

New addition: TTVJ Slim. Perfect match with my work rig.

DIY'd a 8 strand IC from cheap pair of plugs from Jaycar and grado cable. Lesson learnt: don't use cheap plugs.

Side note: How do you feel if the worker at your local petrol station is listening to beautiful wooden clip-ons at work? Asking cause I feel really great, even at very soft volumes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back