Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #406 of 37,646
diskussions in a picture thread
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #408 of 37,646
Said 2 guys not posting pics...right after someone posts pics.

On topic:
Not my picture but it's what I'm using. iPhone 5 and EARPODS. I think the Earpods sound great, especially for being free.

Quote:
diskussions in a picture thread
frown.gif

Quote:
Indeed. Too much Yack. Not enough pics!

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #410 of 37,646
Said 2 guys not posting pics...right after someone posts pics.

On topic:
Not my picture but it's what I'm using. iPhone 5 and EARPODS. I think the Earpods sound great, especially for being free.

I should try them. I left them in the box and plugged the hf3's in from the start....

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #411 of 37,646
Give them a shot. I've always been a fan of 'earbud' type headphones because I can still use them and hear outside noise. This is good in some situations...plus I can't use IEMs.

They won't be better than your HF3s or anything, but they are a significant step up from your typical stock buds. Still can be piercy in the highs, but the bass is by far the most improved over your typical stuff.

Quote:
I should try them. I left them in the box and plugged the hf3's in from the start....

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #412 of 37,646
I have grabbed them from the box. I can use them this afternoon while we are raking leaves.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #414 of 37,646
I don't think I'd pay $30 for Apple's earpods because they're of limited use to me (sound isolation is a primary need , usually; about the only place I don't need it is in my office, and that's where I've got my full-size home rig to listen to), but they came as a pack-in with my purchase, so I use 'em now and again anyway.

I've said elsewhere that the earpods are impressive just for being the first earbuds I can stand to wear, and I like their comfort and sound more than some headphones and IEMs I've paid money for.

For those who like the earbuds form factor, they're definitely worth trying, and are potentially an excellent deal. For those who hate earbuds or don't see the point to 'em, they're not going to like these either.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #416 of 37,646
I have a fairly simple rig.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/paulscape/DSC_0035.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/paulscape/DSC_0034.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/paulscape/IMG_20121118_015031.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/paulscape/DSC_0034-1.jpg

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #419 of 37,646
Quote:

Mah eyes.... they BURN.....
biggrin.gif

the setup looks nice and all, if only the pair can drive something more worthwhile...
The Beats headphones i suppose dont need too much amping as they are okay for low bitrate hippity hop music

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #420 of 37,646
Heya,

I've played around and finally figured out a good resting place for me and my full-size portable setup. I use this daily pretty much when ever I go some where, even if it's just to the grocery store, campus, or just out to the bistro. I can't wear IEM's, they just bother my ears too much sadly. I don't like on-ears, as they are just annoying to me comfort wise. I like big headphones. I've always enjoyed how they look, how they feel. Style is also important, when it comes to big headphones. I've gone through quite a few headphones (sigh) looking for a sound and feel coupled with a build quality and isolation that would work as a full size portable. I've kayaked in Denon D5000's. But end of the day, the headphone that had all the qualities and look that I wanted, were the Beyer DT770 Premiums. I love the style of them, retro, but metro. Great passive isolation. Lots of room for tinkering which I've done too.

Headphone:

Beyer DT770 Premium

Mods:

I had it custom re-cabled by Brian over at BTG Audio. It has a locking detachable mini-XLR connection (like AKG) with a 4 foot braided sheathed cable that terminates to 3.5mm. I also have another 3 foot extension for home use when needed of the same cable type, as I got it as one big thing so they would match.

The pads are T70 pads, the micro-fiber, not the standard DT series pads. The T70 micro-fiber pads isolate significantly more and have a nice feel to them, the grip of non-slippery fabric, but not the plastic feel of pleather/leather, and not the couch-cushion feel of velour. I actually got the T70's to be a portable, but the sound was not to my liking. So I went for a premium DT770 since they look virtually the same, and stole the micro-fiber pads. Looks and feels like the T70 (I love how it looks), but has the sound of the warmer DT770 which I prefer in every way.

Source:

Sansa Fuze with 32gig MicroSD with all FLAC loaded.
LOD cable of course.
Fiio E11 amplifier.

I have the two units held together with velcro tape, I prefer this to fooling with rubber bands and the like. Holds like a champ.

Pictures:

And here's how I look as I walk around with them, getting weird stares from the Monster / iBud kids:

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back