Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 17, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #22,502 of 37,652
Jan 17, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #22,504 of 37,652
Alright guys, time for new awesome setup.

Let's start off with the outside of the case, when it's all closed up. It's a khanka case for anker batteries fit is a bit tight (due to cable). But it's awesome!

Unfortunately I had to travel to asia, so this is partly unfinished, usable but there's a few more things to do.

Once opened:

As you can see, had to make ample use of right angle connectors. Am going to recable my Headphones with a right angle 1/4", reducing the need for the one on the bottom right. 

All set-up and ready to go. Funny story, I did this right before take off, and 3 VERY concerned air hosts/hostesses came up to me, looking a bit freaked out/concerned like: "what is that? please turn it off". Since it was an indian airlines they're a bit scared of overly complex electronics. 
What's in there:
  • Cable: BJC cable I bought off of amazon. 1ft is likely more than enough so I'm going to cut this down (or ask BJC if they'll do it for me). I bought this in a rush on amazon since the one that came with my DAP was too short.
  • Right side: DAP is DX80. Connected via mono->RCA adapter then to a right angle RCA->RCA gold adapter.
  • Left side: Ifi IDSD Micro. This is likely going to be RMA'd when I get back from my trip. There's something wrong with the insides, noise floor is too high, sounds like I'm listening to bad vinyls
  • Cables, Left: There's a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter conenected to a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter I bought, very useful for my headphones (it's the one suggested in the Z reviews video of TH-X00). I'm likely to recable my headphones to use a low profile right angle 6.3mm, reducing the need for this here. This is what is making the space a little tight. 

My headphones are in this box:

And (queue drum roll, angelic choir etc):

You can see my vanilla TH-X00's here. Using the leather pouch for cable storage. I plan to recable them either with Bluedragon or TheAudMod on etsy. Bought the box in micheals. I really wanted something mahogany to match the headphones...maybe some day.

Empty box, I bought some stuffing and satin hankey I had at home my mom stitched it into what is basically a pillow in there.
My inspiration for this was that awesome wooden box you get with some editions of LCD3 (iirc)

And I'd like to finish off with what is likely the greatest headphones in the world, Audeze, Sennheiser, Fostex..they all have NOTHING on these:

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #22,506 of 37,652

My modest walking around kit. All my good stuff is portable but I don't actually leave the house with it much. This is about as compact and minimal as you can get but seals out the outside world and sounds pretty good. For critical listening I have a Mojo and HE-400i.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #22,510 of 37,652
Considering the price, you'd think the Sony would be a clear winner.

Wonder what's going on there...

Lol ! Keep in mind, the Wm1Z pricing is high, but it shares 90% of the inside components to it cheaper variant, the WM1A, which can be found for similar price of DX200. It makes senses when he said that "depends" words, and here I agree

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #22,511 of 37,652
Hi,
My humble setup:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7LTD;
Sony NWZ-A15;
FiiO Q1.

e307a60f223c2b10026f18be6556e43c.jpg

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #22,514 of 37,652
fiio x3II & trinity sabre or fidue a73

trinity atlas w/BT lanyard & nexus 5x

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #22,515 of 37,652

Finally got a craving for the deep warmth of the U12. They are like a comfort blanket. I want to curl up with them for a long evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back