Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
May 5, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #19,926 of 37,644
900x900px-LL-88ddbbd4_IMG_2413.jpeg

Mono rules - explore the glorious Sony ME-21. Class-leading resolution, extension on both ends, a superb soundstage reproduction and one of the best cables I have ever seen...

... said no one ever.

May 5, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #19,928 of 37,644
I don't know if you are aware of the Sony MDR-51 from the past, almost 30 years old cans, but they are better looking and sounding than most of the cans today.
What to say...crystal clear highs, full mids, beautiful sound, great soundstage. The bass is a bit shy but enough if you are not a Beats fan. 
Please confirm if some of you are from the same club
happy_face1.gif

May 5, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #19,929 of 37,644
 getclikinagas 
"Are those custom made tips? :O"

@getclikinagas

Sure, I got a custom-moulded ear tip because of how much I love the ME-21. 
regular_smile .gif

Haha, no, it isn't. It would be way too small for my ears anyway (I've got large ear canals). No, it is the stock tip it came with (I think there was more than one size, but am not 100% sure about that).

I am quite certain that in the 60s, regular ear tips like we know them nowadays weren't invented yet.

Talkin' about the ME-21, it is a crystal transducer in-ear and not meant for high-end or fidelity at all. Extension on both ends is really bad (steep roll-off in the bass and treble), poor level stability (if you like to listen to music at average or even high volume, it won't work and will sound distorted - not much of a problem for me because I usually listen at low levels) and resolution is okay at best. Though, if played at low volume, the upper bass and root lack softness and sound surprisingly arid.

May 5, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #19,930 of 37,644

getclikinagas 
"Are those custom made tips? :O"

@getclikinagas
Sure I got a custom-moulded ear tip because of how much I love the ME-21. 
regular_smile .gif

Haha, no, it isn't. It would be way too small for my ears anyway (I've got large ear canals). No, it is the stock tip it came with (I think there was more than one size, but am not 100% sure about that).
I am quite certain that in the 60s, regular ear tips like we know them nowadays weren't invented yet.
Talkin' about the ME-21, it is a crystal transducer in-ear and not meant for high-end or fidelity at all. Extension on both ends is really bad (steep roll-off in the bass and treble), poor level stability (if you like to listen to music at average or even high volume, it won't work and will sound distorted - not much of a problem for me because I usually listen at low levels) and resolution is okay at best. Though, if played at low volume, the upper bass and root lack softness and sound surprisingly arid.

Lol. I should have thrown a "/s" in there.
I had a mono earphone during the early y'ears'. Although that had a "ear-tip" made of hard plastic!
basshead.gif

I hated the sound but loved it because it tried
tongue.gif

To balance the OT post, here's my current portable rig. My LG G2 completes the rig but doesn't feature in the picture, because...I needed to take the picture
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back