Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 3, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #18,556 of 37,705
Smartphones degrade sound when used as a transport?

theoretically, yes, due to bad shielding, noisy power, bad jacks, interference from radios and sensors and on-board subsystems.

a phone has all kinds of ways to buzz hum and otherwise be the opposite of a high-end audio device.

it's up to your external audio devices to deal with this and bypass as best they can.

that's why i think a dedicated DAP is the best way to go for portable hi-fi.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #18,557 of 37,705
theoretically, yes, due to bad shielding, noisy power, bad jacks, interference from radios and sensors and on-board subsystems.

a phone has all kinds of ways to buzz hum and otherwise be the opposite of a high-end audio device.

it's up to your external audio devices to deal with this and bypass as best they can.

that's why i think a dedicated DAP is the best way to go for portable hi-fi.

All of that is true, and none of it is relevant if you're using it as a digital transport. Those 1s and 0s don't need to be pure for your external DAC (Mojo, Dragonfly, etc...) to calculate and convert them perfectly.

Now, using headphone out of your smartphone is a whole other issue.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #18,558 of 37,705

that looks fun, what type of tube does it take?   there's now 1000's more possibilities to tweak your sound :wink:

running different 12AX7 variants in my tube preamps is one of my favorite audio hobbies, its amazing how much a tube can shape the sound in a guitar and mic. i haven't really messed with them on the playback side much.

It has an American Tube 6111/ 6021 and paired with my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro the sound has a different warmer sound. I find it needs about 5 or 10 minutes warming then ready to go. Only about a 4 hour battery life but it is powering a tube and being a parent I am lucky if I can get 1 hour in at a time!

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #18,560 of 37,705
All of that is true, and none of it is relevant if you're using it as a digital transport. Those 1s and 0s don't need to be pure for your external DAC (Mojo, Dragonfly, etc...) to calculate and convert them perfectly.

Now, using headphone out of your smartphone is a whole other issue.

That Man knows his Business.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #18,563 of 37,705
To hell with all those expensive setups, i welcome our new 5$ earbuds overlords:

Man, if these little things sing...

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #18,565 of 37,705
At that time this thing cost an arm and a leg lol

crazy i've had a smart phone for 15+ years now. I had a PDA for 5 before that.

I'm kinda done with the pocket computer thing.  I just want a smart watch that doesn't need to be tethered to a phone.

A smart watch, a tablet, and a good mobile workstation are all I need. I can do without the phone slab part of that.

Maybe iWatch2 won't need the phone.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #18,567 of 37,705
Here's the link. The actual price is 5$, but as they're out of stock, the price has been set to 500$ to avoid people buying them now.

There's a quite active thread here on head-fi where you can find more info about them :)

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #18,568 of 37,705
Can i have the link you got those earbud from?

I just received a pair today as a bundle with my Zen 2.0 and I would say, you should get them especially for $5. Everyone should have at least one pair if they use earbuds. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #18,569 of 37,705
  To hell with all those expensive setups, i welcome our new 5$ earbuds overlords:

Man, if these little things sing...

The best inexpensive earbuds I tried till now, are the ones that comes with most Huawei smartphones since the P6, the sound signature and fit is similar to old ipod stock earbuds but more refined, detailed bass and awesome mids. It sounds way better than Apple Earpods, you can get those for 10 bucks online

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Huawei-Honor-Earphones-Super-Clear-Headphones-Earbud-Remote-control-microphone-For-huawei-honor-6-3c/234384_32238560571.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back