Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 8, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #16,981 of 37,643
  H#!% Audio 8A > Rhapsodio Silver Litz cable > Vorzuge Pure II > AK100 Old school A&K DAP

How do you like Rhapsodio's cable? I had a lower end cable from them before. While the craftsmanship was fairly mediocre, it was fantastically ergonomic. Wonder if Sammy's got the cable making game down yet?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #16,982 of 37,643

How do you like Rhapsodio's cable? I had a lower end cable from them before. While the craftsmanship was fairly mediocre, it was fantastically ergonomic. Wonder if Sammy's got the cable making game down yet?

I think he is getting it figured out - I actually have 4 of his recent cables - they all have the wooden slider and splitter - they are are nice and supple with little to no memory. (Copper/SPC/Silver w/solid silver 1/8" plug/Silver & gold)  I am definitely happy with them.

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #16,984 of 37,643

I love these kick bass from the Grado RS2 so much, pure fun listening <3

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #16,987 of 37,643
Is that a Swiss backpack, I love them its all I use they have so many compartments, they are expensive though.

Yes it is. I have two of the backpacks and one mailman's bag. Got them at Tesco during a promo at ridiculously low prices. Just had to get more than one. Far from the high end stuff but still well-made and reliable.

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #16,988 of 37,643
RSA Shadow or Pico Slim? I found the RSA shadow for $220 and the slim for $200 (2nd hand), which one should I get? I have an iPod Classic 5.5 gen and will be using it with Jh audio 5 ciems. I don't have any preference, I'm just looking for good sound, thanks!

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #16,989 of 37,643
  RSA Shadow or Pico Slim? I found the RSA shadow for $220 and the slim for $200 (2nd hand), which one should I get? I have an iPod Classic 5.5 gen and will be using it with Jh audio 5 ciems. I don't have any preference, I'm just looking for good sound, thanks!

I would suggest getting a DAP like Fiio X3ii for your JH5. iPod Classic 5.5Gens were too noisy for BA iems, adding amps will not help.
You will experience a much bigger jump in SQ with newer DAPs vs stacking you 5.5G iPod.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #16,990 of 37,643
I didn't know that! I'll test my jh5s with my ipod 5.5g once I get them. And what about the RSA shadow + ipod nano 6G, I was also suggested that. 
would you personally take that over the fiio x3? The nano/shadow rig will set me back around around $280 and I see the fiio x3 for as low as $150.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #16,991 of 37,643
I would suggest getting a DAP like Fiio X3ii for your JH5. iPod Classic 5.5Gens were too noisy for BA iems, adding amps will not help.
You will experience a much bigger jump in SQ with newer DAPs vs stacking you 5.5G iPod.

Using the lineout into a quiet amp like the Pico Slim solves the noise problem for me. That being said, I can't say I've heard the X3ii or the RSA Shadow. I don't believe you should just discredit the 5.5g though. I know of people who still prefer it for its rather unique tonality.

I didn't know that! I'll test my jh5s with my ipod 5.5g once I get them. And what about the RSA shadow + ipod nano 6G, I was also suggested that. 
would you personally take that over the fiio x3? The nano/shadow rig will set me back around around $280 and I see the fiio x3 for as low as $150.

iPod 5.5g > any other iPod iteration IMO but I agree that you should try DAPs at the same price range. I think Headfonia compared the Pico Slim to the RSA way back. I'm not too certain though. Good luck

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #16,992 of 37,643
I found this setup by audiohead,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiEJSnWKSCw

He says that it's very transparent. I can remove the nano 6g clip and velcro strap it with the ipod and coupled with a low profile line out it ends up being more compact than the fiio x3. I would be also be to sync my itunes directly, which I prefer but then again I would be limited to 16 gigs. So many drawbacks. 

I mean the RSA shadow is a $400 amp that is designed for IEMs, it's hard to believe that a $200 DAP is a better option.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #16,993 of 37,643
I find the later iPods to be more digital sounding and more 2-dimensional.

Some literature for you

http://www.headfonia.com/back-to-the-future-friday-ipod-5g-ipod-video/

http://www.headfonia.com/the-usual-suspects-12-portable-amps-compared/2/

Direct comparison between the Shadow and the Pico Slim

Personally, I love my iPod Video 5.5g and Pico Slim for their synergy with my FAD Heaven VI. I prefer that setup than with my DX90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back