Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 8, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #16,998 of 37,679

Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg

I love these kick bass from the Grado RS2 so much, pure fun listening <3

Amazing setup you got there! Wow!

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #16,999 of 37,679
I find the later iPods to be more digital sounding and more 2-dimensional.

Some literature for you

http://www.headfonia.com/back-to-the-future-friday-ipod-5g-ipod-video/

http://www.headfonia.com/the-usual-suspects-12-portable-amps-compared/2/

Direct comparison between the Shadow and the Pico Slim

Personally, I love my iPod Video 5.5g and Pico Slim for their synergy with my FAD Heaven VI. I prefer that setup than with my DX90.

Agreed my iPod/C5 stack caused me to sell my X5...

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #17,004 of 37,679

Amazing setup you got there! Wow!

Thanks mate, I don't need any other source anymore, I'm at my personal end game source setup, it doesn't matter if a CIEM or a HD 800 or what ever heaphone, all matching awesome with it.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #17,006 of 37,679
Just got my new (for me) ALO Continental V3

iPod Classic > ALO SXC 18 LOD > Continental V3 > Moon Audio Silver Dragon > JH16fp

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #17,007 of 37,679
Nice choice with the Conti v3. I love that thing, such warm and luscious sounds. Just a wonder. Nice set-up you have there. Must put a smile on your face...

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #17,008 of 37,679
Nice choice with the Conti v3. I love that thing, such warm and luscious sounds. Just a wonder. Nice set-up you have there. Must put a smile on your face...

Just getting to know the V3 - have come to the realization that money spent on cables might be better spent on amplifiers - they impart their own "signatures."  A lesson from my old car stereo days - you put 1000 watts in a car system not to get it loud, but to make it sound brilliant at reasonable volumes. Sure it can get loud - but the ability to fully exploit the dynamic range of a piece of music (providing it is there - lol) is what I enjoy the most. A quiet passage punctuated by a sudden shot to the head - BAM... Now that's fun.....

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #17,009 of 37,679
Nice to meet a fellow car stereo builder. I loved to have that kind of sound in my car. But, damn, it's been like 20 years since I played in that arena. Competed and placed fairly high for my class. You're right, takes a lot of power to refine the sound. Some kids used to try to separate their windshields with SPL ratings, I was after refinement and soundstage. Got as far as time-frequency-spatial analysis on my cars then started to have a family and it all went away. Portable audio has me hooked back into a personal arena. Looking for that same kind of soundstage, coloration and detail. Love this stuff. When I can properly place instrumentation and hear all the real nuances in a performance, that's just bliss...

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #17,010 of 37,679
Sorry for the rambling, but I agree about the cables vs equipment and phones. While it's important to have great connectors and such, I think it's much more important to have better gear. That's what drew to the Conti. I love it's sound signature. Just love getting immersed in the sound...great choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back