Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jun 18, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #16,804 of 37,652
Youhou ! Just change IEM cable and interconnect.

My Portable Rig never sounded better.

thanks Whiplash Audio

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #16,806 of 37,652

portable, next to my desktop stuff, where i'm regularly camped....and the portable gear is more than adequate for decent tunes on the go.

Never mind portable, how do you find the Hugo DAC compared to the HA-1? I'm guessing your using the Hugo DAC and the HA-1 amp.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #16,807 of 37,652
Never mind portable, how do you find the Hugo DAC compared to the HA-1? I'm guessing your using the Hugo DAC and the HA-1 amp.

guessed right, and mainly use when i want that extra bit of refinement (usually when there's a bit of peace and quiet in the house too, as you'll noticed it's not on there, but the ha-1 is).  through the hugo is a bit better; clearer separation, cleaner bass.  it's all relative, but compared to spending that money on a set of totl headphones would provide far better bang for buck if you already had the ha-1 with mediocre headphones.  the flexibility of the ha-1 is great, and via balanced output, sound is still great.  on the other hand, can pull out the hugo and sit on the couch or lie in bed and still enjoy top class sound (when i cant get to enjoy it through speakers - oh the blasphemy on here :D)

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #16,808 of 37,652
guessed right, and mainly use when i want that extra bit of refinement (usually when there's a bit of peace and quiet in the house too, as you'll noticed it's not on there, but the ha-1 is).  through the hugo is a bit better; clearer separation, cleaner bass.  it's all relative, but compared to spending that money on a set of totl headphones would provide far better bang for buck if you already had the ha-1 with mediocre headphones.  the flexibility of the ha-1 is great, and via balanced output, sound is still great.  on the other hand, can pull out the hugo and sit on the couch or lie in bed and still enjoy top class sound (when i cant get to enjoy it through speakers - oh the blasphemy on here :D)

Thanks. I have the HA-1 already as well as a TOTL set of cans and I was wondering how the Hugo sounds comparatively to the HA-1 ESS9018 DAC. Been hovering around the buy button a few times on the Hugo.

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #16,810 of 37,652
New to the forum and this is the first time seeing someone else's wires turning that blueish color too! I thought mine were cropping out on me after a couple months of use and abuse. I do miss that silver color.... Sigh.

Welcome to Head-fi! 

This is indeed a characteristic of this cable, this is the second one I've had. Both turn discoloured. It doesn't have any effect on the sound, and it's still a great cable (long, strong, comfortable).

I also like the black Westone cable, I use it for my UM3X/ES3X. 

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #16,814 of 37,652
  Seriously guys, I always have a bit of a laugh when I see something like this in a "pictures of your portable rig" thread. It's pretty sweet don't get me wrong but not portable.

This is a "portable" rig.

I also carry this around

But I've been listening to this on the train from work all week, carry the stack in my bag. So to me even this is portable. No compromises lol

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #16,815 of 37,652
  Seriously guys, I always have a bit of a laugh when I see something like this in a "pictures of your portable rig" thread. It's pretty sweet don't get me wrong but not portable.

i believe if you can carry it, it is portable! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back