Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jun 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #12,811 of 37,653
Amazing thread; I've invested instead in the complete opposite of a portable audio set-up until now, but I'm becoming interested in putting together a great portable rig. It would just have so much more versatility. So many great headphones on this thread. :)

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #12,812 of 37,653
Oops... missed your post earlier. However AK120 titan + SR71B + good interconnect cable is already close to the price of an AK240.

DX50 currently has issues with the DAC. Something about the drivers. A total no go with Mac if you use one. Otherwise the player with latest software sounds really good. The fiio X3 and X5 are notable DAPs that you should look into also.

I'm looking for an upgrade for the DX50 as I already have it. A balanced amp was an option but I need a fully balanced setup before it will be really worth it which means more $ so I stopped considering it. I also already have a really good amp (the 627 MICRO) and a good interconnect (Mundorf interconnect) so all I need is an upgrade to the source.

EDIT: I've tried the FiiO X5 actually, it's really not bad for the price but isn't that much better than the DX50 is. The X3 I felt was a downgrade from the DX50. I've also tried the DX90 and I found it to be a bit too bright for my tastes.

Quote:
Calyx M
Good power, good dual dac...

Beautiful design
smily_headphones1.gif

Imo, 70mW per channel isn't really enough to power orthos properly. The MICRO is rated for 500mW per channel according to Caesar which is a huge difference and I still feel like it barely manages to do the job. The Calyx M also doesn't have a LO which means I can't even use it with my current amp which is unfortunate.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #12,814 of 37,653

AK120 -> SR 71a -> ER 4s

When I see this, I just get massively confused. You buy an Ak120 but then get an external amp for it? That's like buying a ferrari for its headlights. Secondly, why would you need another amp, I mean, they're just iems. I'm sure the ak120 can power em. I'm surprised you spent so much more on the source too, rather than the actual IEMs. And lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that just memory foam with a hole poked through it on the tips? After all that money, comply are too expensive XD.

Sorry if this sounds mean by the way, I'd love to hear explanations/corrections.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #12,817 of 37,653
When I see this, I just get massively confused. You buy an Ak120 but then get an external amp for it? That's like buying a ferrari for its headlights. Secondly, why would you need another amp, I mean, they're just iems. I'm sure the ak120 can power em. I'm surprised you spent so much more on the source too, rather than the actual IEMs. And lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that just memory foam with a hole poked through it on the tips? After all that money, comply are too expensive XD.

Sorry if this sounds mean by the way, I'd love to hear explanations/corrections.

You've got to buy something first. I picked up the amp on sale and got the dap second hand for cheap; comparable in price to CLAS -> Duet and sounds much better to my ears. Hard to beat for the price. Next up will be either lcd-xcs or Ultrasone Ed5s and my rig will be complete.
The foam tips are the ones that come with the earphones, much better isolation than Comply.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #12,823 of 37,653

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #12,824 of 37,653

May i answer This Question.
Er 4 S is hard to drive iem , thats why he need external amp to get ER 4 S better sound quality compare direct AK 120
IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back