Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #8,671 of 37,648
Me too
smily_headphones1.gif

What headphones are those? 

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #8,676 of 37,648
Yeah Dashboard Confessional is pretty depressing music but I love it! The emotion in his vocals is so genuine.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #8,677 of 37,648
Here's my general impressions of these cans! :)

Gears used: DX50 > Apex Glacier > VK-1 (compared with HD25 ALU and HD650)

Music listened to:
  • Jazz Audiophile Voices - Sway (testing female vocals and instrumental timbre as well as whether I can detect the faint background hiss)
  • Lindsey Stirling - Shadows (testing bass impact, quality and speed and how the violin sounds)
  • Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California (testing instrumental separation and timbre, soundstage size and accuracy and male vocals)
  • Sword Art Online OP 2 - INNOCENCE (testing how horrible the treble is)

Out of the box they remind me of the HD25 in that they clamp hard. However, it is possible to bend the headband to widen the cans and make them more comfortable. I would assume you can also stretch them over books to more slowly change the fit of these cans. Once this is done, it's still not the most comfortable pair of cans I've worn but at least I can use them for a couple hours before my ears hurt too much. There's not much to say about the excellent build quality, everything you touch will be metal or leather (pleather in my case) and it looks wonderful but the pads will have inconsistencies because each pair is hand-made. The left pad on my personal set can be wriggled up and down in it's cup slightly, but it's just a minor gripe and doesn't really annoy me that much.

These cans have a fairly dark, very smooth and impactful sound signature that I think sounds good with multiple genres. The bass seems to be emphasized but it's done well. It's not as fast as, say, HD25 bass, but it hits hard and is beefy even in comparison with the HD650. Mids are clear and crisp and totally unaffected by the bass. Vocals sound smooth and full of character and aren't sibilant. There's a small peak in the treble but this is not a big deal as the rest of the sound signature is so wonderful to me. Soundstage is not massive but it's definitely there. It's very accurate and separation is excellent and the background is black as can be. These cans are technically good enough to pick out small details in songs but they are still musical and natural cans. However, these are quite revealing cans and bad recordings will sound BAD.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #8,678 of 37,648

Here's my general impressions of these cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Gears used: DX50 > Apex Glacier > VK-1 (compared with HD25 ALU and HD650)

Music listened to:
  1. Jazz Audiophile Voices - Sway (testing female vocals and instrumental timbre as well as whether I can detect the faint background hiss)
  2. Lindsey Stirling - Shadows (testing bass impact, quality and speed and how the violin sounds)
  3. Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California (testing instrumental separation and timbre, soundstage size and accuracy and male vocals)
  4. Sword Art Online OP 2 - INNOCENCE (testing how horrible the treble is)

Out of the box they remind me of the HD25 in that they clamp hard. However, it is possible to bend the headband to widen the cans and make them more comfortable. I would assume you can also stretch them over books to more slowly change the fit of these cans. Once this is done, it's still not the most comfortable pair of cans I've worn but at least I can use them for a couple hours before my ears hurt too much. There's not much to say about the excellent build quality, everything you touch will be metal or leather (pleather in my case) and it looks wonderful but the pads will have inconsistencies because each pair is hand-made. The left pad on my personal set can be wriggled up and down in it's cup slightly, but it's just a minor gripe and doesn't really annoy me that much.

These cans have a fairly dark, very smooth and impactful sound signature that I think sounds good with multiple genres. The bass seems to be emphasized but it's done well. It's not as fast as, say, HD25 bass, but it hits hard and is beefy even in comparison with the HD650. Mids are clear and crisp and totally unaffected by the bass. Vocals sound smooth and full of character and aren't sibilant. There's a small peak in the treble but this is not a big deal as the rest of the sound signature is so wonderful to me. Soundstage is not massive but it's definitely there. It's very accurate and separation is excellent and the background is black as can be. These cans are technically good enough to pick out small details in songs but they are still musical and natural cans. However, these are quite revealing cans and bad recordings will sound BAD.

Thanks for sharing your impresons, do you think that those are better than the HD25? I like my HD25 Originals, they are light, good sounding (in general als portable) and almost indestructible.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #8,679 of 37,648
Soundwise, they are most definitely better than the HD25 original because they trump my HD25 ALU. They are about as portable too because neither fold up. However, the HD25 is far more rugged so I'd be more willing to stuff it into my bag than the VK-1. I would still chose the VK-1 over the HD25 though.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #8,680 of 37,648
Dec 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #8,681 of 37,648
Soundwise, they are most definitely better than the HD25 original because they trump my HD25 ALU. They are about as portable too because neither fold up. However, the HD25 is far more rugged so I'd be more willing to stuff it into my bag than the VK-1. I would still chose the VK-1 over the HD25 though.

so they are better than the alu ? is this specific to the carbon edition or does the standard one sounds the same , definitely interested since I think the alu is some top quality headphones

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #8,682 of 37,648
so they are better than the alu ? is this specific to the carbon edition or does the standard one sounds the same , definitely interested since I think the alu is some top quality headphones

Yes. In my opinion they are better in every way, but it might be because I prefer the sound signature. The carbon edition is identical to the standard edition in everything but looks. I just got it because I'm a stickler for black minimalist electronics :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #8,683 of 37,648

Little Biscuit is so cute.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back