Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Feb 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #10,186 of 37,648
  Balanced cans are definitely the way forward for portable rigs.
I agree with all you say about the improvements you listed. 
Ive had Frank make me up a balanced White Widow for my Amperiors and like you say, 
The difference really is night & day!

How do you take advantage of balanced cans without balanced DAC (i.e. the ipod shown in your setup)?

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #10,187 of 37,648

How do you take advantage of balanced cans without balanced DAC (i.e. the ipod shown in your setup)?

A lot of modern portable amplifiers have single ended inputs and use a phase splitter to achieve balanced output.

Kojaku

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #10,189 of 37,648

received both yesterday...Christmas came a bit late for me
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #10,190 of 37,648
  A lot of modern portable amplifiers have single ended inputs and use a phase splitter to achieve balanced output.

Kojaku

Interesting. I need to dig and hopefully mod one myself to find out what all the fuss is about.

Can you list a few of these modern amps implemented with a phase splitter?  Thanks

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #10,192 of 37,648

Interesting. I need to dig and hopefully mod one myself to find out what all the fuss is about.

Can you list a few of these modern amps implemented with a phase splitter?  Thanks

More or less all of the portable balanced amps you can get your hands on today are using some kind of phase splitting circuitry.
Pick one out of the more-talked-about bunch here on Head-Fi.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #10,195 of 37,648

I see. I thought there are balanced amps designed specifically for unbalanced DAC's.

Among the amps that can cake single-ended input and output balanced are:

-RSA Intruder, F-35
-iBasso Pelican PB2
-Alo Audio Rx MKIII-B, Alo International

Just be aware that you won't be getting the benefits of dedicated grounds because the signal will have crosstalk in your DAP.

Kojaku 

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #10,196 of 37,648
  Among the amps that can cake single-ended input and output balanced are:

-RSA Intruder, F-35
-iBasso Pelican PB2
-Alo Audio Rx MKIII-B, Alo International

Just be aware that you won't be getting the benefits of dedicated grounds because the signal will have crosstalk in your DAP.

Kojaku 

That's why I was wondering how you can take advantage of balanced cans without balanced DAC, as shown in this post.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #10,197 of 37,648

That's why I was wondering how you can take advantage of balanced cans without balanced DAC, as shown in this post.

It's really to lower distortion in the amp section, presuming that the line-out is hopefully less-distorted already. At least in the ipod setup anyway.

Kojaku

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #10,198 of 37,648
I think at this point all RSA balanced amp has the phase splitter. That's including protector SR 71B and intruder. Besides those, the only ones i know of that also has the splitter is the iBasso PB2

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #10,199 of 37,648
  I think at this point all RSA balanced amp has the phase splitter. That's including protector SR 71B and intruder. Besides those, the only ones i know of that also has the splitter is the iBasso PB2

The good thing about PB2 is it takes/provides balanced and single end inputs/outputs. That may be a good candidate for experiment.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #10,200 of 37,648

The good thing about PB2 is it takes/provides balanced and single end inputs/outputs. That may be a good candidate for experiment.

I'm just not sure if your cap-less iMod would play nice with an iBasso or RSA amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back