Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
May 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #4,321 of 37,783
Quote:
New toy for both portable and laptop usage while on the move. I just could not resist all the options the XM6 offers for sound/impedance/crossfeed tweakage so ended up with this one. iDevices have way too few buttons anyway.
beyersmile.png
I went with the basic WM8740 and BUF634 since it's gonna be used half the time only as a headphone amp.

How have you enjoyed the XM6 as far as portability goes? I'm considering pulling the trigger on one and would love some input.

May 28, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #4,325 of 37,783
Quote:
How have you enjoyed the XM6 as far as portability goes? I'm considering pulling the trigger on one and would love some input.

I've enjoyed it, yes. Judging by using it for about a week now I can say at least the following things:
+ Small and doesn't turn your system into a huge brick
+ XFeed is awesome! I haven't found a digital crossfeed adjuster that would do the same thing nearly as conveniently yet.
± The input and output are kinda low like in my picture. For durability you might wanna turn it upside down in comparison to what I have.
- Even at low gain it's +10 dB so I wouldn't suggest you to use it with something very sensitive such as IEMs. The 75Ω switch helps things by also turning the volume down, but you can use this without changing the sound signature only if the headphones in question have a fairly flat impedance vs. frequency. Then again this sound signature switch can be favorable to some headphones/earphones. (Also the +10 dB in conjunction with sensitive IEMs and a smartphone as a source will make cellphone network noise LOUD!)

Also, an additional pic to keep things on-topic.
tongue.gif

May 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #4,326 of 37,783
MORE NEW TOYS!!!

My AlgoRhythm Solo and Tzar 350 both arrived this morning :)

iPhone 4S -> Solo -> Rx Mk3-B -> Tzar 350 with Magnus 1 Cable

I am Gobsmacked with this combo....absolutely unbelievable. I just can't get over the detail, clarity, openness this rig is giving. The Solo really does show the shortcomings of iDevice DACS. Just waiting for some new cables (30pin to USB and mini to mini) to arrive from Forza AudioWorks and then my work here is done :)

May 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #4,327 of 37,783
^^^ I need to reverse my MkIII and my CLAS db the way yours is.  I have such a time using the bass and volume knobs.....

May 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #4,328 of 37,783
My current favorite bundles:
ipc+intuder+clasdb  /  ipc+hpp1dac+glacier  /  ak100+picopower

My favorite laptop companion:
Alo International & Dacport LX

May 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4,329 of 37,783
Quote:
^^^ I need to reverse my MkIII and my CLAS db the way yours is.  I have such a time using the bass and volume knobs.....

yeah if you have the Rx on the bottom, its a PIA to change the volume. Putting it in the middle makes it easier to use the knobs :) 

If the standard Solo is anything to go by......I want to upgrade to the -dB and run a fully balanced rig with my Tzar 350's

May 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4,330 of 37,783

New portable setup
Nintendo Gameboy -> a lot of thingys -> Earsonics SM64

The more stuff is in the chain, the better it sounds, right?
A match made in Dot Matrix Hell.

May 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,334 of 37,783
Small, medium, large hearing.

May 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4,335 of 37,783
My newfound and finally really portable love: The Mezzo modded MS-AK100 w/Russian FW/Whiplash TWag Gold/TG!334, truly great synergy to my ears, even better than my brick setup.
The last pic is with my iphone 4 next to it for a reference to the AK's size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back