Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Sep 17, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #30,661 of 37,679
IMG_20200917_163520245.jpg

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #30,662 of 37,679
Such a wonderful return to the IER-Z1R. After weeks and weeks away............getting back to the IEM along with modifications to the 1Z and 1A firmware was breathtaking.

6341EAAC-F9B6-4A63-B2B5-9ABDCCA5E16A.jpeg

Using 1A/1Z+ by MrWalkman in both the 1Z model and 1A model..........along with “Japan” region. The 1A switched to model 1Z and the 1Z left on 1Z. Get it here. Post #41,068

I had worries I would find the IER having too much bass? I never have had fit issues but thought it may be uncomfortable? Actually the transition was spectacular with incredible excitement across the board? Coming back to it reconfirmed my initial ideas. Now I know why I always regard the Sony IER-Z1R as my ultimate favorite IEM.

It played everything though the slight midrange dip was a noticeable reality, where vocals still seem ever so slightly back. There has been times when I’m not noticing the dip at all? Yet after thinking about it, if the mid-range was going to be slightly off, I’d rather have it a pulled mid to a slight degree then a forward midrange.

It’s kind of like making a laundry list of characteristics and finally saying yes, I’ll accept this for everything......................I’ll stay in love with it!

It’s just getting used to what the IER-Z1R is......it’s character of traits being slightly off...........yet also remarkable! Probably the most fun was coming to realization that despite the character extremes it holds, it’s still the most honest and technical IEM I own. Just the fact that it can be that way yet still offer non-stop thrills makes it a keeper. Also as an added benefit.......both the 1A and 1Z were able to be used in Direct Mode free of EQ. Neither Walkman was best but had an ability to convey how they were both unique players for the IER!

At first it was two days with the IER-Z1R and Walkman 1Z, then a switch to the 1A. Crazy though upon first using the 1A it seemed fairly bright and thin in comparison to the 1Z. The greatest part was after an hour finding the 1A to now sound natural and clean. Of course it had so many traits that were the antithesis of the 1Z, yet instead of dwelling on the differences and needing to call either the IER-Z1R wrong, or call the 1A wrong.................it was more of an embracing of talents.

As it turns out we simply get used to sound signatures. In fact some audiophiles will need to resort to new music to get a thrill. Due to custom MrWalkman 1A firmware the 1A actually shows a dynamic bass, yet in contrast to the normal thicker routine of the 1Z, the contrast can cause the mind to question the accuracy of response. Yet in this situation the greatest outcome occurred.

While the bass was more than adequate, the true 1A charisma was now on display with the IER-Z1R. That final tone was able not only to be heard but relished. It was bass tone that had definition and texture. The bass now had turn-around speed and accuracy. A grand never ending show.........not really better than the 1Z? This wasn’t just listening to equipment but truly finding the music showcased with such pizzazz, it was an event! I’m never selling this IEM, as it always delivers the goods and fits perfect!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #30,663 of 37,679
Such a wonderful return to the IER-Z1R. After weeks and weeks away............getting back to the IEM along with modifications to the 1Z and 1A firmware was breathtaking.

Using 1A/1Z+ by MrWalkman in both the 1Z model and 1A model..........along with “Japan” region. The 1A switched to model 1Z and the 1Z left on 1Z. Get it here. Post #41,068

I had worries I would find the IER having too much bass? I never have had fit issues but thought it may be uncomfortable? Actually the transition was spectacular with incredible excitement across the board? Coming back to it reconfirmed my initial ideas. Now I know why I always regard the Sony IER-Z1R as my ultimate favorite IEM.

It played everything though the slight midrange dip was a noticeable reality, where vocals still seem ever so slightly back. There has been times when I’m not noticing the dip at all? Yet after thinking about it, if the mid-range was going to be slightly off, I’d rather have it a pulled mid to a slight degree then a forward midrange.

It’s kind of like making a laundry list of characteristics and finally saying yes, I’ll accept this for everything......................I’ll stay in love with it!

It’s just get used to what the IER-Z1R is......it’s character of traits being slightly off...........yet also remarkable! Probably the most fun was coming to realization that despite the character extremes it holds, it’s still the most honest and technical IEM I own. Just the fact that it can be that way yet still offer non-stop thrills makes it a keeper. Also as a added benefit.......both the 1A and 1Z were able to be used in Direct Mode free of EQ. Neither Walkman was best but had an ability to convey how they were both unique players for the IER!

At first it was two days with the IER-Z1R and Walkman 1Z, then a switch to the 1A. Crazy though upon first using the 1A it seemed fairly bright and thin in comparison to the 1Z. The greatest part was after an hour finding the 1A to now sound natural and clean. Of course it had so many traits that were the antithesis of the 1Z, yet instead of dwelling on the differences and needing to call either the IER-Z1R wrong, or call the 1A wrong.................it was more of an embracing of talents.

As it turns out we simply get used to sound signatures. In fact some audiophiles will need to resort to new music to get a thrill. Due to custom MrWalkman 1A firmware the 1A actually shows a dynamic bass, yet in contrast to the normal thicker routine of the 1Z, the contrast can cause the mind to question the accuracy of response. Yet in this situation the greatest outcome occurred.

While the bass was more than adequate, the true 1A charisma was now on display with the IER-Z1R. That final tone was able not only to be heard but relished. It was bass tone that had definition and texture. The bass now had turn-around speed and accuracy. A grand never ending show.........not really better than the 1Z? This wasn’t just listening to equipment but truly finding the music showcased with such pizzazz, it was an event! I’m never selling this IEM, as it always delivers the goods and fits perfect!

Welcome home 😉

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #30,664 of 37,679
Sep 18, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #30,666 of 37,679

It’s just getting used to what the IER-Z1R is......it’s character of traits being slightly off...........yet also remarkable! Probably the most fun was coming to realization that despite the character extremes it holds, it’s still the most honest and technical IEM I own. Just the fact that it can be that way yet still offer non-stop thrills makes it a keeper. Also as an added benefit.......both the 1A and 1Z were able to be used in Direct Mode free of EQ. Neither Walkman was best but had an ability to convey how they were both unique players for the IER!

The IER-Z1R with sp2000cu is the closest to perfection I ever heard, perfect tonality, wide stage, no harshness at all, you are in a living room listening to a hiend rig, with the Max is very good to, but lacks that final refinement in tonality, unfortunately I never heard it with the 1Z,when I bought the iem I already did not have the Dap

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #30,667 of 37,679
ff9e03427f96b44db07e414fe6721280.jpg

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #30,669 of 37,679
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #30,670 of 37,679
581538df953cef7e03c8e43a9a39c19b.jpg

LPGT with custom leather cases.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #30,672 of 37,679
IMG_4099.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back