Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Feb 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #23,027 of 37,668
So good it's dangerous.

Opus#2>U12

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #23,028 of 37,668
So good it's dangerous.

Opus#2>U12

Oh you guys are killing me ! such beautiful cables... I just realized your rig cost more than my car  
eek.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #23,029 of 37,668
Oh you guys are killing me ! such beautiful cables... I just realized your rig cost more than my car  :eek:  

Well, I saved on the cable by building it myself. Does that count?
:wink:

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #23,030 of 37,668
Feb 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #23,031 of 37,668
As much as I was initially a fan of the Aune M2s this thing has it beat in a number of ways already. Lucky for me I found it used, the person hadn't managed more than 10hours per their account before being consumed by the motions of life and the player being resigned to a drawer. I plan on comparing the two as they approach the AKM4490 from different perspectives, not before getting some more hours of use in though for good measure.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #23,033 of 37,668
  What's the Dap and Amp combo?

Edit: Looked at it on my laptop and I see a Headstage Arrow. Still curious about the DAP though.

The DAP is actually taking the photo in that shot  In this instance it was an iPhone 6s running Golden Ears (WAV), sending to a Samsung Level Link. I use so many different sources with Bluetooth that I set this rig up to make it easier to switch.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #23,034 of 37,668
  Looks like the Samsung Bluetooth receiver, turns any wired headphone into a bluetooth headset.

Ah, beat me to it. Yes, I have tried many Bluetooth receivers, but this one wins hands down, with range, battery life and audio quality. One of my favorite features is it's ability to SEND as well as receive Bluetooth. I'm starting to experiment with wireless audio, and this is a great little device for enabling non Bluetooth DAP's and experimenting with non Bluetooth earphones. The earphones are Future Sonics G10, just been listening to Chicane's new album Track 5 'Giants'  - wow, that bass ! Also been listening to Yo-Yo Ma Cello Suites and Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - very nice, they are incredibly versatile earphones. Still, I'm on a mission to go fully wireless now, so I don't know if I'll keep them.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #23,035 of 37,668

Ah, beat me to it. Yes, I have tried many Bluetooth receivers, but this one wins hands down, with range, battery life and audio quality. One of my favorite features is it's ability to SEND as well as receive Bluetooth. I'm starting to experiment with wireless audio, and this is a great little device for enabling non Bluetooth DAP's and experimenting with non Bluetooth earphones. The earphones are Future Sonics G10, just been listening to Chicane's new album Track 5 'Giants'  - wow, that bass ! Also been listening to Yo-Yo Ma Cello Suites and Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - very nice, they are incredibly versatile earphones. Still, I'm on a mission to go fully wireless now, so I don't know if I'll keep them.

Genuine Samsung LEVEL Link Wireless Bluetooth Adapter Handsfree EO-RG920B

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #23,036 of 37,668

Fully wireless, huh? I'm interested to know your findings. Personally I'm leary of wireless beating the wire anytime soon.  

The most important thing to me in a mix is timing accuracy - which is why i **** on mp3, mp4, and aac so much. Even 16/44 after dither. It changes, if not ruins, the soundstage the original mix created.

When I mix the soundstage is critical. How/where/when things bounce around the virtual room is at least as important as the EQ. Both go into overall timbre of the sounds, and can progress through the track.

Dither and Lossy Data compression comes along and demotes that in importance. So I push back.  Degradation to stereo signal is critical and should not be glossed over. If I created in 24bit you should hear in 24bit, with the same rough latency and width of soundstage as I created it with. We are nearly 2 decades into the 21st century!  Many people are listening to music that has been degraded 2-5 times compared to the master, and it's unnecessary. 

With wireless speakers, I'm not totally clear how they are getting the audio around to the various components using what data formats and what latencies, but I don't trust that it's as solid as wired systems. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #23,037 of 37,668
Finally got around to upgrading from the 215s- the Jupiter is a BIG improvement. Loving them!

Every time I think about going fully wireless, something like this brings me back from the edge !  so beautiful.

I've been following this thread since 2012, it's been 4 years since my last post, so I better take a photo...
biggrin.gif

Haha there's always something about good design that just makes these sorts of things extra satisfying. I also haven't found a wireless setup yet that has compelled me to switch but we'll see what the future holds. I just love the simplicity of plugging in and not having to worry about another set of batteries or any potential connectivity issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #23,038 of 37,668
Fully wireless, huh? I'm interested to know your findings. Personally I'm leary of wireless beating the wire anytime soon.  

The most important thing to me in a mix is timing accuracy - which is why i **** on mp3, mp4, and aac so much. Even 16/44 after dither. It changes, if not ruins, the soundstage the original mix created.

When I mix the soundstage is critical. How/where/when things bounce around the virtual room is at least as important as the EQ. Both go into overall timbre of the sounds, and can progress through the track.

Dither and Lossy Data compression comes along and demotes that in importance. So I push back.  Degradation to stereo signal is critical and should not be glossed over. If I created in 24bit you should hear in 24bit, with the same rough latency and width of soundstage as I created it with. We are nearly 2 decades into the 21st century!  Many people are listening to music that has been degraded 2-5 times compared to the master, and it's unnecessary. 

With wireless speakers, I'm not totally clear how they are getting the audio around to the various components using what data formats and what latencies, but I don't trust that it's as solid as wired systems. 

It really is all about timing. With all the issues of tape and vinyl the two formats get the timing right. And even if they fail at frequency response or noise floor the fact that the timing is noticeable makes a statement against digital. My favorite system uses a CD transport as no matter what computer USB implementation I create, I seem to hear USB timing issue. Interesting to those who put timing as all important reference portable stuff like the A/K getting the timing better. I would probably buy another CD player as my next source as I still love taking the computer out of the equation. Obviously jitter has been reduced now to non-perceived levels, but the paranoid part of my listening still tells me I can hear it? Anti-placebo is strong.

And timing presents instrument tie down in the soundstage. A grounded soundstage seems to be a timing factor.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #23,039 of 37,668
Looking through these set ups has been very inspiring. What would you say is a good cheap combo for a metal fan?

VSonic VSD5 is very good for metal. Fast and punchy. For source, Shanling M1 is tiny and tidy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back