Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #17,986 of 37,696
Slow day at work. At least I have world-class audio to help pass the time.

20151030_071946_zpslylzcgci.jpg

In Utero was better

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #17,987 of 37,696

The beginning. I was about 10 and this was a perfect rig for Michael Jackson. Mine had the strap.

It also got broken by my grade-school self. Middle school brought an upgrade to a new walkman, perfect for Van Halen and classic rock (and NWA!) on the walk to and from school.

By high school I had a smaller walkman with AM/FM. CD's were already out and getting popular but my family really couldn't afford them. 

This little cutie lived in my bedroom around 86-89 and also went outside with me to shoot hoops.

By college I had "upgraded" to a newer boombox. I really liked the detachable speakers, making it a bookshelf system or portable. This one ended up painted pink and orange and living in my dorm room, and after a while in the front seat of my brother's car b/c his stereo was dead!

In the mid-90's I got into DAT for production work but never listened to much commercial music on DAT.  I did have one of these little jobbies to get audio from DAT's once I sold my rack-mount DAT machine.

The last boombox I bought, about 10 years ago. The iPod dock ended up barely working and the sound was not impressive.

Here's me now, happy hi-fi again:

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #17,991 of 37,696
Oct 30, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #17,992 of 37,696

Habanero peppers get up to about 350,000 scoville units, Carolina Reapers clock in at up to 2,200,000 scoville units.  

Have you guys heard of the Trinidad Scorpion pepper?

yep but is artificial DNA breeding so it doesn't count for natural chiles

I've heard of it. The Reaper beats it out though. The guy who breed the Reaper now says he has a new pepper that beats the Reaper by, I think I have this right, approximately 30-50%. It is supposed to be a variation of the Reaper that he calls DEATH. I saw a prototype sample get eaten by a chili-head. His response was that he could not believe how much hotter it was then the Trinidad Scorpion pepper and the Ghost Pepper. That's nuts. I get a hankering to eat a Ghost Pepper every now and then but I have no desire to eat anything that is hotter then a Reaper. I will try it just to experience what it is like, but I wouldn't eat them regularly.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #17,993 of 37,696
  I've heard of it. The Reaper beats it out though. The guy who breed the Reaper now says he has a new pepper that beats the Reaper by, I think I have this right, approximately 30-50%. It is supposed to be a variation of the Reaper that he calls DEATH. I saw a prototype sample get eaten by a chili-head. His response was that he could not believe how much hotter it was then the Trinidad Scorpion pepper and the Ghost Pepper. That's nuts. I get a hankering to eat a Ghost Pepper every now and then but I have no desire to eat anything that is hotter then a Reaper. I will try it just to experience what it is like, but I wouldn't eat them regularly.

DEATH? lol

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #17,996 of 37,696

X1/Q1 stack, Nothing like a little budget Hi-Fi. *Out of screen: Shure SE-425*

Money well spent.  I've owned some semi-expensive portable gear in my time and FiiO is nothing to scoff at lately.  I prefer my X5ii over my Hifi-M8 because of the size.  The M8 sounds better but marginally and it's a PITA to walk around with.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #17,997 of 37,696

Money well spent.  I've owned some semi-expensive portable gear in my time and FiiO is nothing to scoff at lately.  I prefer my X5ii over my Hifi-M8 because of the size.  The M8 sounds better but marginally and it's a PITA to walk around with.

I love my stack. It gets a lot of questions about what it is, But having the DAC/AMP makes it sound really good, and although an unintended feature. In my job I have to monitor phone support calls. I use the USB DAC while plugged into line out for the X1. Get a little background music while monitoring, makes my job much more enjoyable.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #17,998 of 37,696
  I love my stack. It gets a lot of questions about what it is, But having the DAC/AMP makes it sound really good, and although an unintended feature. In my job I have to monitor phone support calls. I use the USB DAC while plugged into line out for the X1. Get a little background music while monitoring, makes my job much more enjoyable.

Nice looking stack VVC, almost looks like they were made for each other
wink_face.gif

Seeing some old school stuff out here, this is my first amped rig
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #18,000 of 37,696

Users who are viewing this thread

Back