Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Aug 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #17,282 of 37,658
  Hi @clee290
I own a Jr and also a C5 that I previously used with my FiiO X1. I don't feel the need to use the C5 with my SM64 anymore. Being 98Ohms the X1 was not able to drive them properly while the Jr does IMHO.
I gave a try to C5+Jr and found just a bit of coloration. Not as big as a value than with X1. With big withdraw that you loose the cool formfactor of Jr.
What is your opinion? your motivation to use C5?

Hi, sorry for the late response, I've been a little busy as of late. But yea, the C5 definitely adds some color. I agree, stacking the C5 with the Jr kind of defeats the purpose of having a slim player, but I only use the stack at home. When I'm out, definitely using the player alone.

Quote:
  Something a bit different today, Vita 2000 with Angie's =)

That's a nice-looking Vita. Too bad memory cards costs a pretty penny.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #17,283 of 37,658
I prefer your black Jr. It looks classier to me.
Speaking from Jr, how does it pair with Angies? I saw that some people found AK100II a little weak to drive Angies. So Jr ...

I'm sure it would come more down to personal sound preferences than drivability with the Angie's. They are very easy to drive.

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #17,284 of 37,658
Yep, Angie's are quite easy to drive, even the Vita with its weaaaaak amp section can drive it OK.  Sounds great out of the Junior, but of course sounds even better through my DX90 & VorzAmp Pure II+ combo!

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #17,286 of 37,658
Yep, Angie's are quite easy to drive, even the Vita with its weaaaaak amp section can drive it OK.  Sounds great out of the Junior, but of course sounds even better through my DX90 & VorzAmp Pure II+ combo!

Can you compare the Angie and the SE846? I've tried the Angie's and love it but the cheaper SE846 prices make it really tempting. I'd really like an opinion on which one to get.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #17,288 of 37,658
Can you compare the Angie and the SE846? I've tried the Angie's and love it but the cheaper SE846 prices make it really tempting. I'd really like an opinion on which one to get.

In my opinion, as long as you don't have fit issues with Angie due to its huge housing, then 100% go with the Angies.  Angie's are much more resolving, has a MUCH bigger soundstage/airy, and the mids are perfectly placed to me.  I love the SE846's as well, they are more comfortable and isolates much better.  The bass is thunderous (though Angie's can match it with the dials), and the mids are more pronounced, great for some genres.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #17,295 of 37,658
Nice.

How does it sound?

Comparisons to HD6××/800?

No contest with the 800.

Huge departure from the HD6XX sound.

Lacks that low midrange body that give weight to baritone but amps that 3 kHz freq giving female vocals that extra push. Sounds peaky when you listen to Amber Rubarth.

Bass dial is well implemented in that the boost does not adversely affect the midrange and the 30 steps dial does the boosting gradually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back