Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Sep 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #6,706 of 7,509
Quote:
I think you should mod it for a better sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I borrowed an iMod and with my own iPod 5G did a LOT of comparison a few years ago. I did not find the soundupgrade to be worth the price or the hazle. So I just enjoy the iPod+iQube. It also pairs great with DT-1350 and T5p. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #6,707 of 7,509
Quote:

I thought the iCube was an iDevice DAC too?  If it is there wouldn't be much point; the iPod is just for storage and a GUI.

The iQubeV2 and V3 has a built-in DAC but not an iDevice DAC like Fostex or CLAS. My iQubeV1 is an amplifier only. A very good one that is 
normal_smile .gif

Also the iPod 5G is not supposed to work with an iDevice DAC as far as I know. It is too old so I would need to use my iPhone as source if I get myself a CLAS as I have been thinking about for a while.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #6,708 of 7,509
Quote:
Thats not true at all.  Read up on those solutions rather than quote specs please.  I understand, you love your c60 but you are by far overstating anything on sq, not to mentionthe poor other features in comparison with the c30 ie price, sd slot, battery etc

Ok, only sound my friend. It is much better:) 
This is not my player, so i'm not interesting to make advertisement to him. Couple impressions.
Waiting for a new "True-friend" from China. For me:)

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #6,711 of 7,509
Quote:

How you like the K271 MK II?
I'm kinda thinking about getting one of them or a K240 MK II.... Have to decide on semi-open or closed and the auto-stop-playing headband switch thing.
Needing some low-mid priced cans for desk sitting.

For desk sitting I imagine they're both fine. I was also considering the K240 Mk II but I needed a closed back pair for regular public transportation. It's very light and the auto-mute switch works well. The biggest thing to be aware of is that K 271 Mk II's are very conservative when it comes to bass, I was expecting this, but they can be tuned with a proper mini amp. Where K 271 Mk II's shine is in the mids and the highs. Voices are a pleasure to really listen to and highs are nice and defined. I've read this a lot and decided to take the ride. It did not disappoint. The only bad thing is that when playing the bassier songs, there's an unholy electronic popping in the right earcup that just can't be ignored so I'm sending them back for replacement. Other than getting a bad copy, I found nothing bad with them. I'm quite amazed a close back pair at this price point can sound so smooth in the mids and highs. I imagine though, that the K240 Mk II with its semi-open design could be better in some aspects but that kind of sound leakage just won't *work for me right now.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #6,712 of 7,509
Sep 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #6,713 of 7,509
Quote:

Galaxy Nexus--->ATH-M50

Google Play Music is great. I have my whole collection in 320kbps. The Nexus drives the M50s surprisingly well.

Does it really sound good?  I tried all my 'phones with my Nexus using many different players and couldn't get good sound out of it....I'm using a custom JB rom tho, dun know if that makes a difference....
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #6,714 of 7,509
Quote:

Does it really sound good?  I tried all my 'phones with my Nexus using many different players and couldn't get good sound out of it....I'm using a custom JB rom tho, dun know if that makes a difference....
confused.gif

It sounds pretty clear to me. I don't know if the ROM will make a difference, but I doubt it. I'm using custom JB. Why would you need a custom rom anyways? The stock is gorgeous. Oh if you use the Play Music player make sure you enable high-quality streaming. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #6,715 of 7,509
Quote:
For desk sitting I imagine they're both fine. I was also considering the K240 Mk II but I needed a closed back pair for regular public transportation. It's very light and the auto-mute switch works well. The biggest thing to be aware of is that K 271 Mk II's are very conservative when it comes to bass, I was expecting this, but they can be tuned with a proper mini amp. Where K 271 Mk II's shine is in the mids and the highs. Voices are a pleasure to really listen to and highs are nice and defined. I've read this a lot and decided to take the ride. It did not disappoint. The only bad thing is that when playing the bassier songs, there's an unholy electronic popping in the right earcup that just can't be ignored so I'm sending them back for replacement. Other than getting a bad copy, I found nothing bad with them. I'm quite amazed a close back pair at this price point can sound so smooth in the mids and highs. I imagine though, that the K240 Mk II with its semi-open design could be better in some aspects but that kind of sound leakage just won't *work for me right now.

Thanks. I'm going to pull the trigger in a couple days on the K240...

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #6,716 of 7,509
Knew I was going on a long dog walk tonight so i mixed and matched and went a little crazy on my portable set up for the walk.
Ipod classic->Fostex HP-P1dac->Lisa lll amplifier->Edition 8 LE

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #6,718 of 7,509
Quote:
Knew I was going on a long dog walk tonight so i mixed and matched and went a little crazy on my portable set up for the walk.

Ipod classic->Fostex HP-P1dac->Lisa lll amplifier->Edition 8 LE

That's a great rig, but is it really portable? I guess you have to use a small backpack (or similar) to carry it around, no?

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #6,719 of 7,509
With that I used a very very small messenger bag I got at army surplus. I almost never set it up that way, it was so bulky and extreme that I thought I'd post it. And yes, sounds amazing. Trying to get a feel for the new amp and how to utilize it....preordered Pico Power.

I do need to let go of some stuff though, starting with my RSA Hornet M. Great amp, sounds tubey, just hard to get around to putting it up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back