Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Aug 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #6,346 of 7,509
Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry for your wallet...
Quote:

My first acquisition after reading Head-Fi.org , it's just a Um1 for good portable quality, but i'll keep improving on it. Loving it so far, thanks guys! 

I once was like you, making small purchases and now I'm hoping I dont ever make another purchase for my portable rig besides a nice IEM cable. Just got my Altmann Tera Player and with my Custom IEM's its magnificent. The important thing is to always strive for happiness with your purchases. It's all worth it if you enjoy what you've bought.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #6,347 of 7,509
Quote:
The important thing is to always strive for happiness with your purchases. It's all worth it if you enjoy what you've bought.

Well said! 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #6,348 of 7,509
I once was like you, making small purchases and now I'm hoping I dont ever make another purchase for my portable rig besides a nice IEM cable. Just got my Altmann Tera Player and with my Custom IEM's its magnificent. The important thing is to always strive for happiness with your purchases. It's all worth it if you enjoy what you've bought.

+1. Reading all the posts on this site, you know that max$$ does not always translate into the best sound. Sometimes you just want to listen to music!

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6,349 of 7,509
Quote:

Thank you! 

Right now i'm mainly sad that my ipod nano 4g doesn't sound half as good as a normal Dell with foobar(wasapi) and flacs(even with mp3 the ipod is worse)... 
But i'm aiming at a open can and a dac for the next thing, i've been reading Head-Fi and saving money for the past 3 months so i could make my first step.

Anyway, i'm enjoying alot (and wondering how better it can get... that's the dangerous thinking right? my wallet...)

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #6,350 of 7,509
Your Welcome, and dangerous thinking? Definitely dangerous. I think if you were in my area though I could show you how good portable rigs can get. I am really enjoying my Tera Player. Got a card holder that is like a business card in my wallet. Now I got tons of my music on me at all times. I literally feel like I'm actually listening to the vinyls the songs were ripped from. Not just sort of hear it, like the pops and stuff, but the effect that really makes me get the whole experience I get from listening to vinyls with my CIEM's, but in a small package. Lets get back to the pictures though. Wish I wasnt at work, otherwise I'd pull out my phone and snap a picture of my microSD holder and the Tera.
Quote:
Thank you! 

Anyway, i'm enjoying alot (and wondering how better it can get... that's the dangerous thinking right? my wallet...)

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #6,352 of 7,509
Quote:
Why is the Tera player any better than FLAC files on an iPod? Aren't WAV files just another lossless format?

Firstly, iPod do not support FLAC, do you mean ALAC? Secondly, Tera sound noticeable better thanks to much better and more expensive chips. Yes, WAV is another lossless compressing method, althrought not widely used.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #6,353 of 7,509
Well i manage to play flac on my ipod every day.......magic fairy dust inside.

Have you heard the tera player yourself or making assumptions?

But yes id like this to see some pics on this thread.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #6,354 of 7,509
Quote:
Why is the Tera player any better than FLAC files on an iPod? Aren't WAV files just another lossless format?

If I'm correct, the Tera player supports 24/96 WAV, while the iPod is limited to 16/44

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #6,355 of 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfflt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Firstly, iPod do not support FLAC, do you mean ALAC? Secondly, Tera sound noticeable better thanks to much better and more expensive chips. Yes, WAV is another lossless compressing method, althrought not widely used.

LOL, WAV is what FLAC becomes on the way to a stream when uncompressed. It's what's used to make original digital recordings, so very widely used. There's less processor load, fewer buffers and complication to play a WAV file. They aren't used much in portable due to tag and space issues.

Rockboxed and app'd Iphones play FLAC fine.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #6,356 of 7,509
Quote:
Have you heard the tera player yourself or making assumptions?

No, but excuse me, it is obvious.

Quote:
LOL, WAV is what FLAC becomes on the way to a stream when uncompressed. It's what's used to make original digital recordings, so very widely used.

Yes, it is. I said that WAV's are not widely usable by consumers as everyday lossless container. Professional market is other story.

Peace guys, I could do mistakes.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #6,357 of 7,509
Quote:
No, but excuse me, it is obvious.

im going to be quite frank here, but the the only thing that is obvious is you have talked nonsense.  You dont know how the Terra sound player sounds better so dont comment on sq using statements like "Tera sound noticeable better thanks"

You also stated an ipod doesnt play Flac when it can.  Lose the attitude.  I do suggest really we get back on topic from this point on.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #6,358 of 7,509
Quote:
Well i manage to play flac on my ipod every day.......magic fairy dust inside.

THAT explains it!!! They are very small...Sneaky too apparently!

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #6,359 of 7,509
Back to portable rigs......

IPC with all Lossless AIFF files/Fostex HP-P1 with default LOD (Frank just told me my new Silver Poison LOD is shipping!!) and Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's at 35,000 feet over Nevada.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #6,360 of 7,509
Quote:
Back to portable rigs......

IPC with all Lossless AIFF files/Fostex HP-P1 with default LOD (Frank just told me my new Silver Poison LOD is shipping!!) and Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's at 35,000 feet over Nevada.

Just wondering, why AIFF and not ALAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back