Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
May 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #5,161 of 7,509
I'm all set up to endure the next 36 hours in the library getting my final pieces of university work done, such a lovely sounding rig that it's almost an enjoyable prospect!

2009 MBP>>FiiO E17 (Via USB)>>JDS Labs C421 (Via L7 Line Out)>>V-MODA Crossfade M80.

May 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #5,162 of 7,509
Quote:
I'm all set up to endure the next 36 hours in the library getting my final pieces of university work done, such a lovely sounding rig that it's almost an enjoyable prospect!

2009 MBP>>FiiO E17 (Via USB)>>JDS Labs C421 (Via L7 Line Out)>>V-MODA Crossfade M80.

Looking good, enjoy your background too! And yeah, the M80's sound excellent with the C421. at least in my experience.

Here's some more pictures of that Low Profile Dual Lock........this crap is strong 0.o

Too bad the shipping from MP4nation isn't -_- anyone have any comments on how long their orders have taken? Mine's on 2 weeks, and it's been in the country for 1 week :frowning2:

May 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #5,163 of 7,509
I got a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 the other day; it's replacing my HTC Evo since I switched back to a dumbphone (I'm almost always near Wi-Fi, so no sense paying $70 a month on service when $100 prepaid minutes will last me a whole year).  It sounds pretty good, and since it can take a microSD card I was able to put together a 64GB Poweramp-powered device for $260.

Haven't done any in-depth comparisons between it and my J3/Clip Zip, but I haven't heard anything bad from it yet.  The front speakers are a nice touch; better positioning than most other portable devices.  Not anything I would seriously use for music, but they make it easy to just set it on the desk to listen to NPR or a podcast.

May 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5,164 of 7,509
Quote:
I got a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 the other day; it's replacing my HTC Evo since I switched back to a dumbphone (I'm almost always near Wi-Fi, so no sense paying $70 a month on service when $100 prepaid minutes will last me a whole year).  It sounds pretty good, and since it can take a microSD card I was able to put together a 64GB Poweramp-powered device for $260.

Haven't done any in-depth comparisons between it and my J3/Clip Zip, but I haven't heard anything bad from it yet.  The front speakers are a nice touch; better positioning than most other portable devices.  Not anything I would seriously use for music, but they make it easy to just set it on the desk to listen to NPR or a podcast.

I do the same thing....prepaid dumb phone and wifi devices. 
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #5,167 of 7,509
Quote:
I see. I have a 6G so the iMod is not possible for me.
I don't really use my iPod anymore in any case since the jack is broken, so I have to use line-out. This is fine, but the battery of the Mini3 drains kinda quickly, even when you don't use it. Plus it's too big.
And on top of that I now have a phone with plenty storage, so I really don't even use my iPod anymore. I may need to buy an amp for it sometime, as the output of my phone tends to clip rather quickly, and I don't want to carry around the rather big Mini3 with my already rather big phone.
Any recommendations for a sub $100 shipped low profile amp?
biggrin.gif

I got a lot of mileage out of my FiiO E7, but I hear the E11 is the default now for folks looking for sub-$100 portability...other options are a JDS Labs CMoy with BB and a rechargeable battery and plug (haven't tried this personally, never liked the cases, not durable enough in my humble opinion), or (and this isn't that slimline) a PA2V2...I have a PA2V2, but am getting rid of it now that I have a Headstage (definitely not sub-$100, but totally worth it :)...I sold off all my spare gear to finance it).

May 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #5,168 of 7,509
Quote:

root + voodoo sound

May 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #5,171 of 7,509
That is a great album. Yo Yo Ma's playing is full of emotion
Quote:

May 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #5,172 of 7,509
Quote:
prepaid dumb phone and wifi devices. 

Hmm.. I do have my 4G iPod Touch.. I may consider this method. 

An old rig. The c250 was my wife's, the LOD is made by "average_joe", the mini-mini is the one that came with the E5, which sadly, has a dead battery. And for some reason, I like how this all looks together.. o.O

It did sound pretty rad with wav files, and my M6's though.. O.o

May 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #5,173 of 7,509
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I have the 4G Touch, and the Samsung Galaxy 5.0.....and if my desktop or laptop are not near me, then one of these two players almost always is. My prepaid TracFone which is a pseudo-Blackberry with the qwerty keys on it probably costs me a little over $200 a year for calls and texts. Granted, I don't make a lot of calls and texts, but still, that's two months for a lot of smartphone owners, isn't it? And no contract to worry about if something happened and I couldn't work.

May 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #5,174 of 7,509
Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I have the 4G Touch, and the Samsung Galaxy 5.0.....and if my desktop or laptop are not near me, then one of these two players almost always is. My prepaid TracFone which is a pseudo-Blackberry with the qwerty keys on it probably costs me a little over $200 a year for calls and texts. Granted, I don't make a lot of calls and texts, but still, that's two months for a lot of smartphone owners, isn't it? And no contract to worry about if something happened and I couldn't work.

unfortunately, the galaxy 5.0 doesn't have the Wolfson DAC so there's no voodoo option for that one.  The galaxy 4.0 player was selling for $130 or 140 new on amazon recently :xf_eek:

May 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #5,175 of 7,509
Quote:
unfortunately, the galaxy 5.0 doesn't have the Wolfson DAC so there's no voodoo option for that one.  The galaxy 4.0 player was selling for $130 or 140 new on amazon recently :xf_eek:

I briefly toyed with buying one of the 4.0 ones. But never having heard the voodoo setup, I'm fine with the sound of the 5.0, my Touch, my rockboxed Clip Zip, and I think I am going to enjoy the A867 I have coming as well.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back