Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #3,256 of 7,509

Quote:

I just purchased the HD25-1 II and I'm curious, what happened to your headband ? did it need new padding ?

The headphones fell out of a catwalk light placement about 60 feet AND got kicked around by the rehearsing dancers below. The headband snapped cleanly in two (well, 4). Everything else was fine, from that particular accident. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #3,257 of 7,509

Quote:
The headphones fell out of a catwalk light placement about 60 feet AND got kicked around by the rehearsing dancers below. The headband snapped cleanly in two (well, 4). Everything else was fine, from that particular accident. 

Hmmm, I cannot see myself replicating that scenario anytime soon
eek.gif
wow those are tough little drivers, very reassuring.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,259 of 7,509
My ultra-portable rig.  I can fit everything that "dangles" nicely into bizarre little case that came with the B&W C5's.  I'll probably be building something a tad less portable and a tad more hi-fi in the near future.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #3,260 of 7,509
Getting back in to some portable stuff.  So far very, impressed with the Shure SE215s.  Thinking about trying a Fiio E11.  I like the Bithead, just a little bulky. Either using the iPhone 4 or iPod Classic, Photo or Mini.  With or without the amp.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #3,261 of 7,509

Quote:
I'm only a novice when it comes to high end audio, but I'm pretty happy with my current setup while I'm an impoverished university student! A RockBox'd iPod Classic 5 Gen with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-WS55. Soon to be upgraded to a Cowon J3 and some more substantial cans or a portable DAC for the iPod, most likely the former.

Keep the iPod. There is reportedly little difference in sound quality between the 5th gen iPod Video and the J3. I would invest in an amp or new cans (unless you're happy with their sound).

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #3,262 of 7,509

Quote:
My ultra-portable rig.  I can fit everything that "dangles" nicely into bizarre little case that came with the B&W C5's.  I'll probably be building something a tad less portable and a tad more hi-fi in the near future.

I do like the white iPhone, the only thing that has put me off buying the 4S is the 600+ page thread on battery issues.

Quote:
Getting back in to some portable stuff.  So far very, impressed with the Shure SE215s.  Thinking about trying a Fiio E11.  I like the Bithead, just a little bulky. Either using the iPhone 4 or iPod Classic, Photo or Mini.  With or without the amp.

How do you find the top end on the SE215 ?  I was looking at them for good isolation, but read the treble is lacking ?

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #3,263 of 7,509

Quote:
Keep the iPod. There is reportedly little difference in sound quality between the 5th gen iPod Video and the J3. I would invest in an amp or new cans (unless you're happy with their sound).

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll hopefully be able to get hold of a J3 to try out and decide for myself! On the subject of portable DACs/Amps for iDevices, would you happen to know if they're compatible with Rockbox or will I need to revert back to the stock firmware to make proper use of them?

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #3,264 of 7,509
Only the CLAS and HP-P1 (as far as I know) dive in and work as a portable dac for an iDevice. I do not know if they will work with Rockbox.

All others function just as amps (from the line out), and will work fine. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3,265 of 7,509

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll hopefully be able to get hold of a J3 to try out and decide for myself! On the subject of portable DACs/Amps for iDevices, would you happen to know if they're compatible with Rockbox or will I need to revert back to the stock firmware to make proper use of them?

For the Fostex HP-P1 or CLAS with iPod and RockBox read this thread.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #3,266 of 7,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as I know, the CLAS will not work with the 5th gen iPod, only the Classic. The 5th/5.5gen iPod video actually has a very good DAC built in, so upgrading it might not improve the sound much. I would just get an LOD and an amp.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3,267 of 7,509

Quote:
Only the CLAS and HP-P1 (as far as I know) dive in and work as a portable dac for an iDevice. I do not know if they will work with Rockbox.

All others function just as amps (from the line out), and will work fine. 

Quote:

For the Fostex HP-P1 or CLAS with iPod and RockBox read this thread.

Quote:
As far as I know, the CLAS will not work with the 5th gen iPod, only the Classic. The 5th/5.5gen iPod video actually has a very good DAC built in, so upgrading it might not improve the sound much. I would just get an LOD and an amp.

Thanks for the advice people [= I'm a few months away from being able to afford to move forward with anything yet so I have time to educate myself at least!

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,268 of 7,509
I received my 4S on launch day.  Never a battery issue compared to the 3GS.  There may be 600 pages of special cases, but 10's of millions of people are using them everyday at this point all over the world.  I love the 4S compared to the 3GS.  I have no scientific information and I'm sure that there are some very informed (and some uninformed) people on that thread.  But, since I have never had a problem, I have no cause to go looking for one either.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,269 of 7,509
Here's what I've been rocking lately around the house and elsewhere on campus:  Sennheiser px200 II's and a sansa clip first gen 4gb.
I dug it out and started using it again for a couple of reasons.  One, is that although I love the newer generations of clip build quality the one thing that seems to be lacking is the
headphone jack.  I've had two that have loose headphone jacks and I'm not liking that.  I can't solder nor are my expenses infinite.  Two, I've found that with a smaller amount of storage space
I am more picky about what music I put on it and am more inclined to listen to all of it as opposed to having a large amount of albums available to constantly jump around on.  So yeah, I've scaled back.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #3,270 of 7,509

Quote:
I received my 4S on launch day.  Never a battery issue compared to the 3GS.  There may be 600 pages of special cases, but 10's of millions of people are using them everyday at this point all over the world.  I love the 4S compared to the 3GS.  I have no scientific information and I'm sure that there are some very informed (and some uninformed) people on that thread.  But, since I have never had a problem, I have no cause to go looking for one either.

It's great that you don't have any issues with your battery. However, the battery issues that people have been having aren't really a special case and it's actually been acknowledged by Apple. The most recent update of iOS was supposed to address some of those issues. Anyway, like you said if you don't have an issue then nothing to worry about. For someone looking at getting the phone it's a concern, but I think it's possible it'll be fixed before too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back