Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,196 of 7,509

Quote:
I use rubber O rings from the plumming section of any hardware store. They are strong and stretchy enough. Plus they are thin - so dont interfere with the click wheel if you use one near the screen and one below the click wheel:

Another good idea. Thanks...
smile.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3,199 of 7,509
What is wrong with the FiiO LOD? Solid construction...good conductors. *shrug*

Sure they're not very sexy looking... but where do you find them lacking? 

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3,200 of 7,509

Quote:

+1 Some will argue, but there isn't really a huge difference in sound quality between a Fiio LOD and a $100+ LOD

(I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this 
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,201 of 7,509

Quote:
+1 Some will argue, but there isn't really a huge difference in sound quality between a Fiio LOD and a $100+ LOD

(I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this 
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Yes, honesty is not always encouraged....your punishment will be forthcoming!

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #3,203 of 7,509

Quote:

Well I just assumed the sound would be better with a decent LOD. Now I'm not sure? I've never heard any others so can't really comment.
Think I'll just stick with what I've got for the present.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #3,206 of 7,509
Amping a J3 is a weird idea to me. It has no line out and one has to use the headphone out for amping, which is double amping to me.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #3,207 of 7,509

Quote:
I'm trying to decide if I should get a cable for my rig. I recently purchased a J3, HD25-1,E11 and a Fiio L8. It would be no difference if I purchased a Moon Audio Silver Dragon mini cable?

You would have less money....lol

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #3,209 of 7,509

Quote:
Amping a J3 is a weird idea to me. It has no line out and one has to use the headphone out for amping, which is double amping to me.

Double amping, if you need the power, isn't the worst thing in the world. 

It's not significantly different than using a pre-amp, and a power amp. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3,210 of 7,509
On the topic of changing LODs and headphone cables. 

I have compared the fiio low profile LOD, a solid silver LOD and a picolino silver LOD and there is indeed more treble information and sense of space in general. But the fiio products certainly are not totally outclassed. 

Chrishimself made me a silver LOD quite some time back and it was a bargain compare to the big name brands. If you want something that I think is a work of art then check out the cables  and LOD's made by Qusp.  Seriously nice in my opinion. 

Upgraded silver headphones cables will make a similar change to sound. Silver may sound bright and this innitially makes the bass seem withdrawn slightly but once fully burned in the top end will smooth out and the bass will be a little snappier. I was amazed at the improvement that a silver headphone cable did to my old Triplefi x's. They were transformed from a bass heavy and slightly mid lacking iem to seriously closing the gap towards the quality of a custom. I would never own them again without a silver cable. They were that much nicer. 

And lastly. Copper cables tends to favour bass. Silver is more top end change and silver plated copper tends to be a combination impact. Who would have thought!  

These are just my own personal observations from my own playing with headfi gear. Hope it helps. Cheers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back